S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi S4 and S5 sales halted

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon44
Geez isn't that the truth!
Gas is so cheap that performance is everything.
I can't imaging purchasing a BMW , MB or Audi and driving it in eco.
Like keeping one foot on the brake.
I agreed. If you cannot afford the gas just buy prius!!
Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spartan-S4
You're not the norm anymore.
Never WAS the norm.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon44
Gas is so cheap that performance is everything.
Not so cheap in Canada but I'll still take the performance boost if one's coming. Hovering between $1.10-$1.20/L in Ontario right now. After currency conversion that's about $3.20/US gallon? it doesn't sound like this is much of a hit to mileage though but if you're buying S4/S5's you're not so concerned about the price of gas anyway...

Last edited by mmorais; 08-11-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why not? It's one of the reasons they have the modes. If you're on a long highway commute and are traveling the country on vacation & have your family with you say wife/kids then D/Comfort makes complete sense to use.

The statement about can't imagining someone buying one of these cars and using D mode is just sorta closed minded. You're not the norm anymore. The norm are people who want the best of both worlds & that's what they car makers are shooting for/making.
Absolutely agree with comfort mode. I have that and sport , sport plus on my Bimmer 435 . Esp on highway to keep revs down I use comfort mode. My Audi is coming.
But there is eco mode which prevents freq down shift etc which is different than comfort.
You simply cannot accelerate in eco mode. It's like driving with your grandparent sitting next to you
Old 08-11-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
Never WAS the norm.
I don't agree with that. Lets take the 2015 S550 Mustang. Lots of consumers never would have considered a Mustang till this current gen.

The previous gen Mustangs came across as a 'red-neck' car. Their 'NORM' was a certain type of buyer/driver and they had their guy v8 groups. The v6 group was considered for women.

Come the S550 6th gen which Ford said "Hey we need to make the Mustang a world car" and they completely changed the look from a pony/muscle car to a European Sports car look while keeping the characteristics of the Mustang.

The 'norm' Mustang buyer screamed bloody murder but Ford didn't care. Their sales sky-rocketed and brought in all sorts of new buyers that would never have considered that car until this last gen.

All of a sudden the 4 cylinder was bringing in all sorts of new buyers and these were people who never would have even gotten a Mustang.

All I'm saying is don't knock great features...they might not apply to you but the car companies are trying to get the best of everything in these cars now and don't knock that everyone isn't going to drive the car like you are. Just because it has a v6 or v8

Originally Posted by mmorais
but if you're buying S4/S5's you're not so concerned about the price of gas anyway...
I'm buying an S4 (putting deposit down tonight) and I care about the price of gas. The lower the better. And I care about also getting good MPG while having a sweet car. Call me silly but I like my cake & eating it to with Pie.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

You just made my entire argument for me. Your original suggestion was that (paraphrasing) "the person buying a car ONLY for performance reasons was (at one time) the norm"

I'm pointing out that they never WERE the norm. They were always outliers. Then you pointed out that Ford changed their styling to attract more customers. Customers who WERE the norm (since there apparently were a lot more of them, hence Ford wanting to expand the allure of their product.)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Talbot
You just made my entire argument for me. Your original suggestion was that (paraphrasing) "the person buying a car ONLY for performance reasons was (at one time) the norm"

I'm pointing out that they never WERE the norm. They were always outliers. Then you pointed out that Ford changed their styling to attract more customers. Customers who WERE the norm (since there apparently were a lot more of them, hence Ford wanting to expand the allure of their product.)
What I'm saying is the Mustang buyer that was the 'norm' is no longer the new 'norm' if that makes sense...just like the old S4 buyer is not the same as the new S4 buyer.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I always drive in D. S is too twitchy on the gas pedal and I grew out of my Fast and the Furious phase years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I always drive in D. S is too twitchy on the gas pedal and I grew out of my Fast and the Furious phase years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I find S mode usefully just to disable the auto engine start/stop. While it can be done by pressing the button on the console, doing it every time is not convenient.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm buying an S4 (putting deposit down tonight) and I care about the price of gas. The lower the better. And I care about also getting good MPG while having a sweet car. Call me silly but I like my cake & eating it to with Pie.
lol. I would rather use old engine (supercharger) and significantly higher horse power than new enginer with lower increase in horsepower. Again if you care about gas just drive prius.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 and S5 sales halted