S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi's dynamic steering

Old 05-22-2018, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That wiggle is not due to the dynamic steering. Even in the bottom part w/o dynamic steering, the driver has to make corrections in the corner.
I get that. What I mean is that even the pro can't hold the steering wheel perfectly straight at the same radius, so the dynamic steering can (and does) take that as opportunity to change the radius on you. This is re: your comment that DS doesn't change the radius on you solely based on speed if you are holding the radius constant. I was trying to illustrate that even a pro can't hold the steering wheel constant, despite his/her knowledge that it would be "more ideal".

The sport differential helps you steer the car.
Again understood, I know physics sufficiently to realize that it's pushing the butt out, countering understeer. I can also drift the car up my local 270 degree onramp, which is fun.

You have the car making implicit little corrections on your behalf all the time while driving casually, which you like, and that's great. I have the car making unpredictable radius changes on me while driving through my neighborhood at low speeds, which I don't like. It only goes to show that there's a product (or the lack thereof) for everyone, which is great. My only goal here is to educate new potential customers what they may be getting themselves into, just as you (and others) keep educating them on how great that is. I think that's just as valid.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
I get that. What I mean is that even the pro can't hold the steering wheel perfectly straight at the same radius, so the dynamic steering can (and does) take that as opportunity to change the radius on you. This is re: your comment that DS doesn't change the radius on you solely based on speed if you are holding the radius constant. I was trying to illustrate that even a pro can't hold the steering wheel constant, despite his/her knowledge that it would be "more ideal".

Again understood, I know physics sufficiently to realize that it's pushing the butt out, countering understeer. I can also drift the car up my local 270 degree onramp, which is fun.

You have the car making implicit little corrections on your behalf all the time while driving casually, which you like, and that's great. I have the car making unpredictable radius changes on me while driving through my neighborhood at low speeds, which I don't like. It only goes to show that there's a product (or the lack thereof) for everyone, which is great. My only goal here is to educate new potential customers what they may be getting themselves into, just as you (and others) keep educating them on how great that is. I think that's just as valid.
Agreed, both viewpoints are valid as long as the facts are correct. Your description doesn't line up with my 5 years of experience with the dynamic steering, nor would I like unpredictable radius changes. I'm also driving many different Audi models with and w/o dynamic steering all the way up to the R8, so I get to compare cars with different levels of equipment quite frequently. What I was trying to point out is that you may be blaming the wrong kit for your unpredictable radius changes.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-22-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

What I was trying to point out is that you may be blaming the wrong kit for your unpredictable radius changes.
I'm fairly certain that DS has more to do with unpredictable driving at 25mph through a neighborhood than the sport diff. The fact that Audi chose to deactivate DS in dynamic mode is pretty telling to me - the mode that's intended for track and "spirited driving" when you want the most solid and predictable behavior.

I think this has run its course. I have never driven an R8 but for most readers of this forum I suspect that's irrelevant. The only message that I wanted to share with readers who don't have experience with DS is that maybe it's not just "education" that's needed, but rather that it just may not be for people who expect a certain steering response from a given steering angle. Besides, I feel that in this day and age, a feature such as this one should be as seamless and invisible to people as possible. For six and a half years I kept wondering what's wrong with my steering, and I now feel liberated that I no longer have it.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my car is getting it so I sure hope I like it. I liked it on that test drive. I suppose that if I don't, I can always set it to Dynamic in individual mode so that it's always fixed.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a common misconception that setting DS to Dynamic turns it 'off.' The behind the scenes benefits of the DS system are still in play, it is just that the steering ratio becomes fixed in that mode instead of variable.

Not only that, but the standard steering (without DS system) uses a higher fixed ratio (more turn of the wheel needed) than the DS system in its fixed ratio (Standard=15.9:1 and DS=14.3:1). This lower ratio translates to a tighter and more responsive steering feel on the track, with less steering angle needed in turns. You can keep your hands in place on the steering wheel without excessive arm crossing in the tighter bends, or having to reposition hands on wheel. My Nurburgring video unfortunately doesn't show this (just my arms--but you can see that even on the tightest turns my hands never leave the wheel), but there are other videos out there that can illustrate this (the Lambo video above does a decent job). On hairpin turns you have to cross your arms more with a standard setup than with DS in dynamic.

With that said, I get it if a person is accustomed to the higher standard ratio and is just fine with that setup. Personal preferences are, well, personal.

Here's a breakdown that can help show what is going on between Standard and DS systems (borrowed from an earlier post elsewhere from superswiss):

Dynamic Steering:

Comfort: Ratio changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio changes with speed from 9:1 to 18:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio fixed at 14.3:1, speed sensitive low level of assist.

Standard Steering:

Comfort: Ratio:15.9:1, speed sensitive high level of assist
Auto: Ratio: 15.9:1, speed sensitive moderate level of assist
Dynamic: Ratio: 15:9:1, speed sensitive low level of assist

Last edited by dbuxton13; 05-23-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the My2019 versions in the UK have had DS removed as an option from July. Sales were poor according to my local Audi dealer
Old 05-17-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Just got 2018 A4 6MT with sport+ pkg

just bought used out of state since these are so hard to find. honestly speaking, i was looking for just the sport package that skips the dynamic steering and adaptive suspension. however, just the flat bottom steering wheel and the lovely alcantara seats make me glad i have the sport +! been driving around experimenting with various settings on drive select and so far my favorite is just auto for all. not sure if engine on auto setting does anything aimce it’s a manual transmission. does anyone know?

also, this thread has been super helpful with understanding the intricacies of the 6MT specific options and features, such as the quattro “ultra” awd and the aforementioned steering and suspension. audi has done a poor job with marketing these and providing differentiating details vs. what the auto A4s as well as the rest of the lineup have.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I agree, Dynamic ratios based on speed = bad

Stanj has it right guys.

Here's the real problem, the S4 is not a track car. It's not. Whos the buyer? Dudes between 35-60 that want a cool, smooth, fast car. They don't want a track car in the S4 or at least thats what the research is telling Audi. Unfortunately, we don't have the RS4 here because Audi is mean.

So, they give you the option of checking what should just be called "better steering" and what should just provide more feel and LOCKED and tighter ratios at all speeds in all modes. I would 100% sacrifice the ability to have a tighter turning car at low speeds for a car that steers directly and has feel and doesn't change on me at speed.

I drove a manual 2018 BMW m240i manual with the variable steering and I almost lost it because at 60-80mph in a chicane it decided that I wanted it to be quicker and have more steering input for the same amount of hand input? WHY. I have driven the S4 with dynamic steering, but not even close to the limit and so I have no way to say its the same. But, I told this car dealer that steering is worse than my first car which was an '02 V6 Camry. I swear to jesus and anyone that thinks that is good has been FOOLED by the marketing.

Of course us lazy Americans said, YEAH I WANT TO TURN MY HANDS LESS SO I CAN EAT MY BONBONS and COFFEE MORE EASILY.

AUDI: stop making S/RS cars with variable ratios at different speeds, thank you.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned 2 RS5s
one without dynamic steering and the current one with
I much prefer the one with dynamic steering.
I use individual mode and have steering set to dynamic so the ratio is locked
My current RS5 needs less entering effort to turn at the same rate as my old one
that's enough for me as a benefit

I've tried comfort and that steering ratio change freaks me out.
it always gives the sensation I get when I feel the rear tires giving up traction
you know in the rain when you feel the rear tires have started to slide slightly? That the feeling it gives me
and no it's not the sport differential as that's always there, whether in dynamic or comfort
and I know what that feels like, and that doesn't usually come into play unless I'm driving quite fast
Variable rate steering sucks, unless its only at parking speeds then is disabled at like 10 or 15mph
my wife's former 2011 X3 had that and I hated cornering at high speeds in that because I'd have the correct steering angle, till the car thought let me change the steering ratio, and all off a sudden I'd need to make corrections
im the driver, I want to be able to choose how I drive the damn thing
Old 06-21-2021, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by kmarei
Variable rate steering sucks, unless its only at parking speeds then is disabled at like 10 or 15mph
one day after buying my S4 I ran over a curb in a parking lot with my rear tire because the variable rate steering decided to drastically alter the turning rate. So it even sucks in a parking lot.