S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B&O Center Speaker Issue / Carplay Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default B&O Center Speaker Issue / Carplay Issues

I remember reading somebody else having an issue with the center speaker (behind the MMI screen), specifically crackling and loud static and distortion particularly when listening to PODCASTS and prominent VOICE only reproduction.
I hate to admit that I listen primarily to Comedy and News on XM, and podcasts. I love music and always have, but lately I seem to favor the spoken word.

I hadn't really noticed it, because I wasn't listening to PODCASTS in the car much, but just got hooked on WTF, by Marc Maron -- and been listening more in the car while driving.

Have to say -- I'm not one to complain....but it's BAD. I mean, popping, buzzing, distortion B A D. It'll get noted when I go in for my 10k FOC later this month.

While i'm at it.....I am positively SICK SICK SICK of the Apple Carplay Interface not recognizing my phone!!!!
Mostly this happens when I shut off my car and leave the phone connected - on restart, the Carplay ICON will appear on the MMI manin menu, but it won't recognize the phone, or allow access to Carplay/Phone. The system is constantly trying to switch me over to the Connection Manager (bluetooth) when I've physcially got my phone plugged into the USB port.
Yes - it's the AUDI apple connection adapter I'm using. (maybe THIS is the issue???) The FIX is unplugging, and re-plugging the USB connecctor - and that usually resets and recognizes the phone via Carplay.

Every update I get from Apple, it's a new set of issues or interfacing / compatibility problems. Literally.
Previously, one of the issues was that any use of voice command, would permanently pause the audio output, and resuming music play would stall.
I GET that this isn't necessarily an AUDI issue, but dang it really sucks! For the record: I run a one year old iphone 7+ on verizon network, iOS 11.2.6

If anybody has any suggestions or similar experience with either issue, please chime in.

*Very happy with the car thus far, and no real issues to date. VROOM!

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 03-16-2018 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the center speaker issue, along with the subwoofer rattle, and just took my S4 to the dealership. They did a great job adding insulating tape around the speaker covers and the buzzing/rattles are gone.Probably something you can do yourself, but I don't trust myself to remove trim pieces without damaging them haha.

On the CarPlay front, I rarely have issues. Maybe once every few months I'll plug my phone in at the wrong time or something and it won't get recognized. Definitely not often enough for me to recognize a pattern or be annoyed by it. I use the lightning cable that came with my iPhone, so maybe it's something with the Audi cable? I also keep my iPhone X fully updated and updates haven't broken anything (yet... knock on wood!).
Old 03-16-2018, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an odd issue when I am using CarPlay and the Parking Sensors go off, the CarPlay menu becomes unavailable. Can still hear the music / prompts but the menu goes away. Have to re-connect the phone. IOS 11.2.6.
Annoying when I back out of my driveway with the phone connected, the interface disappears :-)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GTSX
I have an odd issue when I am using CarPlay and the Parking Sensors go off, the CarPlay menu becomes unavailable. Can still hear the music / prompts but the menu goes away. Have to re-connect the phone. IOS 11.2.6.
Annoying when I back out of my driveway with the phone connected, the interface disappears :-)
This! It drives me nuts.

11.2.6 with a 7+ as well. I will try switching the cable on my commute home.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingby
This! It drives me nuts.

11.2.6 with a 7+ as well. I will try switching the cable on my commute home.
Let me know if that works! I have cables o'plenty. It's anytime the front or rear parking sensors goes off e.g in gridlock, etc.
My S4 is a Prestige with active cruise, etc.

I had a A5 Sportback with just the rear parking sensors as a loaner for my first service, and did not kibosh the CarPlay screen.

#software
Old 03-17-2018, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSX
Yep. I get this too.

I haven't switched cables yet -- I'll report back if this solves the problem.

gr
Old 03-17-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Yep. I get this too.

I haven't switched cables yet -- I'll report back if this solves the problem.

gr
I have the same issue as do many others, it's not the cable. I've had my car for about a year and this issue only started happening a few months or so ago. I had my car in for oil change the other day and spoke to service about this issue. They acknowledged it is a known issue and claim that a fix will be coming soon by way of an update to the MMI. What concerned me about their answer is that they recommended that I check with them every so often to find out if the update is available rather than that they are going to be proactive about letting customers know. I sure hope a fix does indeed come soon.