S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 2018 S4 fogging windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B9 2018 S4 fogging windows

New 2018 S4 fogging windows but rear is the worst.
Temp is on auto with AC on. I had a BMW 328 2013 before and I had never experience so bad fogging in the car. Is Audi so bad? I cannot see any post in recent 2 years about this issue so I am wondering if I am the exception or some of us have it on newer models.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Do you have recirculation turned on by chance?
Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned six Audis, I can tell you this is unfortunately normal. All my cars have had easily fogged front windshields where my BMWs and Porsches did not. It frustrates me but I tolerate it for the other positives.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for all suggestions. I never had recirculating on and the rear window in perticular is the issue for me. It was fogging up a lot with only 2 C outside. What I tried is leaving everything on auto and increasing temp to 22C. This helped a lot. I thing something is programmed in the car and AC is not engaging under certain conditions.

I am also finding that the rear window from outside is not dispersing the rain water. I see many small droplets just stick to the window. This is making visibility limited in rain. I m thinking to apply rain X to the back window to remedy this. Winter is not here yet but I wonder how this new car will behave and how cold will affect visibility and internal fogging.

I love the the car and how it drives. Much better and a big step up from my previous bemmer.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Markster....having the same issues..it's actually pretty bad when it rains...almost to the point of dangerous to drive...I've noticed the issue is more with the outside of the windows vs inside. Let me know what you do. Am going to talk to the dealer about this..never had a car fog up this bad or have issues with fogging. Also I've noticed this car even with nice temps outside (70 below) and just having free flow air vs recirculation the air is warm/hot.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I’ve had the rain on the rear window issue with several cars; Audis and non-Audis. I dived it by turning on the rear window defroster when it rains.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

The rear window is dangerous when it rains. Gets really murky with any amount of rain making it hard to see out back. Turning on the rear defrost helps a little but just makes lines where the strips are, once it turns off it goes back to the way it was. I actually just cleaned my whole car over the weekend and applied Rain X on all the windows. Hopefully this helps out the rear window.

Also I feel the heated side mirrors suck in our cars. This morning too they were also foggy to the point where they were pretty much unusable. I turned on the heated mirrors and it took over 20 minutes for it to even start defogging the mirrors. Thats terrible. My previous car was an Infiniti Q50 and the heated mirrors worked great and cleared up within minutes. Anyone else have this issues with the heated mirrors?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yo girl. Please let us know how Rain X helped with the issue. I am contemplating to do the same. Anyone tried to apply something like Rain X to side mirrors?
What helped me so far with fogging is
1. Set temp to 22C on Auto
2. Don’t use recirculated air
3. In MMI disable AC auto recirculating
4. Open wide vent

With above settings front and back window fogging is not forming but I have to test it more when temps go down to below freezing.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I use a synthetic polish called Liquid Glass on my cars windows, all around and on the side mirrors. The water beads and runs off like it's on teflon. It works better than Rain X and lasts longer, although Rain X works well too. Liquid Glass is no longer in the market, as I recently discovered.
I have 1/4 of a can left. There is a product that many say is like Liquid Glass, it's called Finish First by Liqui Tech, but I haven't tried it yet. Both products are a liquid sealer that's easy to apply and buff off. You only need a tiny amount for the windows for maximum effect.

After I clean the all the windows and side mirrors very well, I apply the Liquid Glass, let it dry, and buff it off. For the front windshield I use RainX washer fluid, the orange one that has RainX in it. That helps to keep the windshield shed water nicely.
I never have to use my wipers as long as my car is moving, at least 30mph and over, as the rain water easily rolls off.
With the way modern sedans have very sloping rear windows this helps a lot, but it would better if car makers included a rear windshield wiper. A thin wiper set in the middle that reaches to the upper edge would be very welcomed imo.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Markster
Yo girl. Please let us know how Rain X helped with the issue. I am contemplating to do the same. Anyone tried to apply something like Rain X to side mirrors?
What helped me so far with fogging is
1. Set temp to 22C on Auto
2. Don’t use recirculated air
3. In MMI disable AC auto recirculating
4. Open wide vent

With above settings front and back window fogging is not forming but I have to test it more when temps go down to below freezing.
I applied the Rain X on the side mirrors as well. It just started raining today so hopefully it'll still be raining when i leave so i can see how effective it is on the rear window and side mirrors.

As TT-S4 mentioned, I also use the orange Rain X windshield washer fluid as well and that works pretty good. I'm curious about the products he mentioned so im gonna take a look into those if they work better than Rain X. Will keep you posted once I drive in the rain

Quick Reply: B9 2018 S4 fogging windows