S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 2018 S4 fogging windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-S4
Well, doesn't that little aspect suck.
So, if you want your side mirrors heated, you lose the mirror dip.

I'm a new S4 and this winter will be my first with it.
I'm sorry I can't give you my experience with how well or not well the heating works.
In my BMWs they worked very well.
And IIRC they worked well in the A4 too.
No worries, maybe they'll work better with snow/ice lol. Also to answer your previous post, most cars do have the heated mirrors linked with the rear defrost button. They'll usually display the icon on the same button, I'm not sure if BMWs show that which is why you might've not noticed. But yeah i think its kinda annoying that the mirror dip only works on our cars when the switch is on that side, hopefully Audi changes that in the future or if theres gonna be a way to code it to work regardless
Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

On a somewhat related note -- I notice when I'm driving in the rain, it doesn't really matter if my side mirrors are defrosting or not -- because the way the water from my windshield gets pushed by the wipers, it creates a wall of water on my drivers window that I cant see out of.. Has anyone used Rain-X to successfully get that to not happen?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNY
On a somewhat related note -- I notice when I'm driving in the rain, it doesn't really matter if my side mirrors are defrosting or not -- because the way the water from my windshield gets pushed by the wipers, it creates a wall of water on my drivers window that I cant see out of.. Has anyone used Rain-X to successfully get that to not happen?
Oh yes, the rain water streaming river along the top third of the side windows is awesome, ain't it?
You would think that German engineers in Germany, where it rains quite a bit at times, would have designed a better way to drain the water that comes off the windshield.

With my BMWs rain water would get in a bit if the window was slightly opened, but there wasn't a stream running along side me like in my S4.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Yup, that’s what I’m referring to. And they’re like perfectly shaped rivers that completely obscure the side mirror.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Is that something to do with better drag coefficient?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Slides
Is that something to do with better drag coefficient?
I hope that's not the case, because it still means that there was poor design/engineering involved.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. After receiving Finish First Polish product I applied it on rear window, side windows and mirrors.
In a small rain I can see a difference but it’s not huge. These windows sort of attract water and water basically sticks to glass. This is my first Audi and my impression is that it feels like these windows or glass are bad quality. I never had any issues like this in a BMW. disappointed since for this auto class this should have never be an issue in a first place. I guess I have to live with this and I wonder how safe it would be during a winter here. We get lots of snow during the season. I will certainly let Audi know of my disappointment both dealer and national. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Markster
Update. After receiving Finish First Polish product I applied it on rear window, side windows and mirrors.
In a small rain I can see a difference but it’s not huge. These windows sort of attract water and water basically sticks to glass. This is my first Audi and my impression is that it feels like these windows or glass are bad quality. I never had any issues like this in a BMW. disappointed since for this auto class this should have never be an issue in a first place. I guess I have to live with this and I wonder how safe it would be during a winter here. We get lots of snow during the season. I will certainly let Audi know of my disappointment both dealer and national. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Interesting. Thanks for your experience with Finish First.
I've never tried it, and many say it's very much like Liquid Glass. It may be much the same for actual paint polish, but I use LG for windows as well.
From your experience perhaps the Finish First is not like Liquid Glass after all, because LG on the windshield is amazing.

So, does the water not run off the windshield compared to when there was nothing applied to it?
Go for Rain X then, and also get the RainX washer fluid.

Regarding the windows/glass on the S4, I was surprised to read that Audi puts better, quieter, insulting glass on the "Prestige" level cars.
That's fk'ing money grab in my opinion, but then that's nothing new to German "premium" auto makers.
This is an S4, it should come with the best glass they have to offer included.
It's not like charging extra for glass that goes from opaque to clear with electric current.

I agree about the sloping rear window and the lack of a wiper.
With the need to get better drag sedan and coupes get flatter and flatter rear windshields, along with the front.
But with the front we have wipers.

Last edited by TT-S4; 09-27-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a chance to apply 2 coats of Polish First on both cars. My Audi and wife’s black BMW X3. They both look fantastic but I do t thinks it’s much different than Sonos Netshield product. We just had some rains for few days and I was able to see how First Polish worked. It helps a little bit from what I heated on others people impressions of LG its not the same product.

Now about the fogging windows. I have disabled recilculation and under sync I have opened the vent. This configuration helps but still some minimal fogging on rear window is showing. Winter would be a big test and I will report back.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My ex girlfriend had Corolla 94 or 96 those windows got foggy exactly like on my B9 S4

Quick Reply: B9 2018 S4 fogging windows