B9 Breaking-In Period - AudiWorld Forums

S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B9 Breaking-In Period

Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default B9 Breaking-In Period

I've read what Audi says about a new car's breaking-in period, curious to what others have done with their new B9. What RPMs are you supposed to keep it under during the first 0-600, then 600-1000? Does this mean no fun for the first 1000 miles?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Per what I've been reading on here I've been keeping it below 4k for the first thousand. Still plenty of fun to be had in that range though
Old 10-19-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And do not keep the engine at a constant RPM for a long period of time... ie setting cruise control at 65mph for long freeway run...
Old 10-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MedStudentS4 View Post
Per what I've been reading on here I've been keeping it below 4k for the first thousand. Still plenty of fun to be had in that range though
funny my dealer said drive it like you stole it. Follow manual or follow dealer?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I advise people to follow the manual. If you translate what the manual tells you to do into a visual graph, it looks like this. The red line on the graph is the tachometer redline you should "observe," unless there is an emergency where doing so would be unsafe for you or your passengers in which case give it the beans if you need to in order to avoid an accident.

Other tips:
- You are also not supposed to apply max acceleration (pedal to floor) until you've exceeded the breakin period.
- It was already mentioned, but it is a good idea to vary your RPMs (avoid long steady drives e.g. cruise control on the highway) so you expose the engine to a variety of operating conditions/speeds.
- avoid super short trips, especially those in cold weather, where the engine doesn't have a chance to get up to operating temp before cooling off again. Don't not drive your car, but don't make every single trip just 2 miles to the gym and back. You need to heat it up in order for it to break in properly. Engine wear is most pronounced when the engine is cold.

That said, don't overthink it. Have fun. You won't break it if you accidentally gun it at 999 miles.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian View Post
I advise people to follow the manual. If you translate what the manual tells you to do into a visual graph, it looks like this. The red line on the graph is the tachometer redline you should "observe," unless there is an emergency where doing so would be unsafe for you or your passengers in which case give it the beans if you need to in order to avoid an accident.

Other tips:
- You are also not supposed to apply max acceleration (pedal to floor) until you've exceeded the breakin period.
- It was already mentioned, but it is a good idea to vary your RPMs (avoid long steady drives e.g. cruise control on the highway) so you expose the engine to a variety of operating conditions/speeds.
- avoid super short trips, especially those in cold weather, where the engine doesn't have a chance to get up to operating temp before cooling off again. Don't not drive your car, but don't make every single trip just 2 miles to the gym and back. You need to heat it up in order for it to break in properly. Engine wear is most pronounced when the engine is cold.

That said, don't overthink it. Have fun. You won't break it if you accidentally gun it at 999 miles.

Says not to overthink it but gives a whole list of guidelines for breaking in :P

Is this engine particularly finicky or something? I've honestly never heard of such a meticulous break-in procedure, and this bit about varying RPMs is troublesome. I was planning on taking my S4 on a road trip to help put some miles on it but if you're saying I shouldn't use cruise control its going to be a whole lot more uncomfortable ...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Says not to overthink it but gives a whole list of guidelines for breaking in :P

Is this engine particularly finicky or something? I've honestly never heard of such a meticulous break-in procedure, and this bit about varying RPMs is troublesome. I was planning on taking my S4 on a road trip to help put some miles on it but if you're saying I shouldn't use cruise control its going to be a whole lot more uncomfortable ...
These are pretty normal guidelines for engine break in, I remember similar ones for my last few S4's. You can use the cruise control, but while you are, just use the steering wheel paddles to manually downshift one or two gears every few minutes (as long as you don't rev past that 4K). The trans will upshift automatically after a short while so you just need to do the downshifting. Your speed will stay constant but the engine revs will vary.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Following proper break-in procedure is best practice. The following is recommended for any car, though some manufacturers (not Audi) break in during production. S4 is not particularly finicky it is typical. Audi recommends in B9 S4 Owner's Manual to follow break-in procedure strictly for first 600 miles, then gradually open up as you reach 1000 miles. Don't worry, car is still fun under 4k RPM and 50% throttle

Do not exceed engine speed of 2/3 to redline (in B9 S4 this is approx. 4k RPM)
Do not exceed 50% throttle (gas pedal)
Avoid high boost for same reason as high throttle (to minimize pressure)
Do not maintain constant engine speed (RPM) for long periods of time
Avoid short trips that don't allow oil to reach operating temp (176 F)

Jason over at Engineering Explained on YouTube gives a good outline of what matters most and why:
5 Things You Should Never Do In A Brand New Car
Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can use cruise, just manually down shift every now and then to vary the RPMs.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the tips guys!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: