S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 Breaking-In Period

Old 10-24-2017, 02:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree about being up to operating temperature, especially oil temperature. I find it strange that so many cars don't have oil temp or pressure displayed. To my knowledge neither our B8 S5 or B8 SQ5 have it anywhere. I did read where it could be enabled with VAG, but not sure if that is accurate. I did notice the B9 S4 with virtual cockpit has oil temp. displayed. Not sure if the base model has it though.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Car\New to AudiWorld

I just picked up my new 2018 S4 from the dealer this past Friday. It already had 72 miles on it, so im not sure if the people who test drove it gave it the beans or not. With that being said, When I went to test drive an S4 at another dealership, the salesman said just to drive it like it was your car. Im assuming that he just wants to make the sale and not concerned about engine break in times. When I pick up my new S4, I asked that specific question, "What is the engine break in period?" He replied with, "Just bomb it. Audi red lines these cars at the factory so they are ready to go" With that being said, I have been a bit ginger with the throttle, but have been having fun staying around 4k RPM. I think at this point, its just second nature to be relatively cautious with a new car because it is a "New Car". and you want it to be pristine at all times. I'm sure at some point i will give open it up a bit, but for now, my commute to work doesn't really allow for gunning it. I am in search for better roads for the weekends

Interior package (leather and alcantara seats, flat bottom steering wheel)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Follow what's in the manual. There is a reason they went through the trouble to print that. If Audi wanted you to do something differently, that's what they would have printed. Everything else is just uneducated speculation from people who don't have to deal with the consequences of being wrong.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robertdelong13
He replied with, "Just bomb it. Audi red lines these cars at the factory so they are ready to go"
Good grief, another salesperson/dealer with next to no knowledge about the cars he's selling. Just stunning.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by robertdelong13
I just picked up my new 2018 S4 from the dealer this past Friday. It already had 72 miles on it, so im not sure if the people who test drove it gave it the beans or not. With that being said, When I went to test drive an S4 at another dealership, the salesman said just to drive it like it was your car. Im assuming that he just wants to make the sale and not concerned about engine break in times. When I pick up my new S4, I asked that specific question, "What is the engine break in period?" He replied with, "Just bomb it. Audi red lines these cars at the factory so they are ready to go" With that being said, I have been a bit ginger with the throttle, but have been having fun staying around 4k RPM. I think at this point, its just second nature to be relatively cautious with a new car because it is a "New Car". and you want it to be pristine at all times. I'm sure at some point i will give open it up a bit, but for now, my commute to work doesn't really allow for gunning it. I am in search for better roads for the weekends

Interior package (leather and alcantara seats, flat bottom steering wheel)
MY Dealer in NH said the same thing. Basically said "drive it like you stole it". I was a bit smarter than that and did a proper break in.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm not risking it. Better safe than sorry.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's kinda funny this thread is active again because a little over a month ago I was in a software class with numerous people from different industries and I happened to meet a guy that woks for one of the largest piston manufacturer's in the world. So of course I asked him his thoughts on the whole break in issue. His response was that the break in procedure has nothing to do with actual break in of the car, it's simply because auto companies have found that it shifts the bathtub curve, aka as the product reliability curve, enough to reduce warranty costs. He went on to say that the pistons are coated with a proprietary coating when made and there's nothing you can do to harm them no matter how you drive the car and in fact, the harder you drive during break in, the better the car will be. His words not mine.

Sometimes things are in the owner's manual for the benefit manufacturer, not the owner.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
It's kinda funny this thread is active again because a little over a month ago I was in a software class with numerous people from different industries and I happened to meet a guy that woks for one of the largest piston manufacturer's in the world. So of course I asked him his thoughts on the whole break in issue. His response was that the break in procedure has nothing to do with actual break in of the car, it's simply because auto companies have found that it shifts the bathtub curve, aka as the product reliability curve, enough to reduce warranty costs. He went on to say that the pistons are coated with a proprietary coating when made and there's nothing you can do to harm them no matter how you drive the car and in fact, the harder you drive during break in, the better the car will be. His words not mine.

Sometimes things are in the owner's manual for the benefit manufacturer, not the owner.
That’s great input to this discussion! I avoided launching the car within the first 1000 miles, but apart from that I’ve been driving it like I stole it whenever the opportunity presents itself 😁
Old 03-15-2018, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On all new cars I drive the same on day one as the day I sell the car and have never had a single engine problem. I'm not saying I beat the hell out of the car but I floor it from day one on occasion. A friend of mine works for Audi in Neckarsulm Germany and have had this discussion with her and she even spoke with one of the engineers and they said the same thing. Drive the car as you would day to day and you will be fine. Most of what is in a owners manual has been written by lawyers trying to cover the companies *** not a engineer saying what he/she thinks.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by machz
On all new cars I drive the same on day one as the day I sell the car and have never had a single engine problem. I'm not saying I beat the hell out of the car but I floor it from day one on occasion. A friend of mine works for Audi in Neckarsulm Germany and have had this discussion with her and she even spoke with one of the engineers and they said the same thing. Drive the car as you would day to day and you will be fine. Most of what is in a owners manual has been written by lawyers trying to cover the companies *** not a engineer saying what he/she thinks.
How long do you keep your cars? Out of warranty ever? 10 years? Or just lease?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B9 Breaking-In Period