S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 S4 EA839 Series Engine Rocker Arm Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B9 S4 EA839 Series Engine Rocker Arm Failure

I currently live in the OC county area of California USA

Rocker Arm Failure happening in all 2017-2019 models with the EA839 series engines.
They revised it a couple times Note: "replaces" PN's in description 06M..... vs. 0P2....

hello im josh new to the forums and not completely sure this is where i should post this thread
i bought my 2018 Audi S4 about a year ago and absolutely love it except when i started to hear
rocker arms going bad with loud ticking when passing by walls, etc
i went ahead and ask the dealer for a quote on how much this would cost me to get this repaired
and honesty they didn't get back to me except for one dealer who said it would need a new engine which i knew was ridiculous.
so i went ahead and did some research and most say its an engine out job
which i believed i can do this job myself for little to nothing in price and while not removing engine out of bay.
i did this job in about two days with a little bit of stress but got it done successfully
engine runs very strong and smooth which is my favorite part
if you're planning to do this job yourself and don't want to deal with over paying
let me help you get it done with ease

both rocker ams side by side old (left) and new (right)

both old rocker arms and you can clearly see how bad they get and the noise you will hear.

the feeling i felt after repair was invigorating

if you have any questions let me know please i can help you the best i can
Old 09-25-2022, 08:17 AM
B9 S5 Sportback/4M Q7

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

A list of parts and tooling you needed would be fantastic
The following 2 users liked this post by angrycatmeowmeow:
dhardison (09-28-2022), itsmys4 (09-27-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrycatmeowmeow
A list of parts and tooling you needed would be fantastic
T40331 is the tool i use to get the job done, other than that just the basic german tools
The following users liked this post:
angrycatmeowmeow (10-02-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How difficult would you say this job is? Also, what is the build date on your S4?
The following users liked this post:
itsmys4 (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jello
How difficult would you say this job is? Also, what is the build date on your S4?
its pretty difficult 9/10 just because some bolts are very hard to get to and timing tool took some time to get it right perfect mine is august 2017 I believe
Old 09-28-2022, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The ticking by the walls is normal from what I understand..it’s when you rev it with hood open and you hear ticking is when it should be obvious. Was that the case?
Old 09-28-2022, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SQM3
The ticking by the walls is normal from what I understand..it’s when you rev it with hood open and you hear ticking is when it should be obvious. Was that the case?

that ticking is NOT normal, I use to have that ticking going next to walls especially pass side but after I did the job I currently hear absolutely nothing. When doors are closed and windows are up, I can hear the HPFP clicking but that’s normal
Old 10-05-2022, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmys4
that ticking is NOT normal, I use to have that ticking going next to walls especially pass side but after I did the job I currently hear absolutely nothing. When doors are closed and windows are up, I can hear the HPFP clicking but that’s normal
The ticking noise is much more noticeable when oil filler cap is removed while running I believe.
VAGTechnic on YouTube have some great videos demonstrating this.

How easy was it to do without removing the engine? It's a job I want to tackle myself and if I can do it without pulling everything out that would be great.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JPump
The ticking noise is much more noticeable when oil filler cap is removed while running I believe.
VAGTechnic on YouTube have some great videos demonstrating this.

How easy was it to do without removing the engine? It's a job I want to tackle myself and if I can do it without pulling everything out that would be great.
to be honest the job wasn’t very easy took me about 16 hours to do maybe a little bit more the hardest part was just reaching some bolts that were hard to get to but I got it done car runs amazing no issues no sounds
The following 2 users liked this post by itsmys4:
angrycatmeowmeow (10-10-2022), Maric (10-06-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmys4
to be honest the job wasn’t very easy took me about 16 hours to do maybe a little bit more the hardest part was just reaching some bolts that were hard to get to but I got it done car runs amazing no issues no sounds
I dont suppose you took any pics during the job?

Quick Reply: B9 S4 EA839 Series Engine Rocker Arm Failure