S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 S4 Muffler delete anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B9 S4 Muffler delete anyone?

Hey guys I've been trying to look around everywhere to find any videos or anyone who has done a muffler delete on there B9 S4, I've been debating on doing it since I had it on my Q50 and loved it but I wanna hear some feedback from someone who has it or has done it to there S4. Or if anyone has any videos or something. Frankly I just don't wanna drop big bucks on a full exhaust yet lol, but I just want my car to be louder
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

You can unplug the switchpath valve control modules and they will fail all four exhaust tips open and create a louder drone. Free experiment, just need to get under the car.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
You can unplug the switchpath valve control modules and they will fail all four exhaust tips open and create a louder drone. Free experiment, just need to get under the car.
hmm thats not a bad idea, i might give it a shot. but i also want something louder, i've been used to it for years and i just doesn't feel right driving something much quieter lol. btw is there any like DIYs on here that show how to unplug the valve modules? I don't wanna mess around and unplug something i shouldn't lol
Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NYS law:

"Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section. "
Old 01-05-2018, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seven-six-two
NYS law:

"Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section. "

I am aware of the law, my last 2 cars I've had modified mufflers/muffler deletes making them fairly loud and I had no problems with the cops. Been even pulled over a few times (for other reasons) and they made no mention about it. I'm not the type of guy who goes WOT all the time just cause my car has an exhaust, especially if I know there's usually cops around. For one I just wanna know how it sounds and get feedback from people.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a quick question

Hi Guys. I have a quick silly question on a similar note and would really appreciate if someone can answer it. I'm not a car expert and have noticed that every time I start my new 2018 S4 first thing in the morning or after whenever the engine is cold, I only see the normal white smoke coming out of 1 out of the 4 exhausts. Is this expected and normal or there is a fault in my car?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Linkers
Hi Guys. I have a quick silly question on a similar note and would really appreciate if someone can answer it. I'm not a car expert and have noticed that every time I start my new 2018 S4 first thing in the morning or after whenever the engine is cold, I only see the normal white smoke coming out of 1 out of the 4 exhausts. Is this expected and normal or there is a fault in my car?
Your car is working as advertised. It defaults on start with the exhaust valves closed, so you only see the single pipe blowing. The valves are opened based on your settings, going full open to all four pipes in Sport-Dynamic. I think the valves also work dynamically in between settings and based on engine load (RPM and torque), but of course Audi didn't provide any explanations in our manual.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
Your car is working as advertised. It defaults on start with the exhaust valves closed, so you only see the single pipe blowing. The valves are opened based on your settings, going full open to all four pipes in Sport-Dynamic. I think the valves also work dynamically in between settings and based on engine load (RPM and torque), but of course Audi didn't provide any explanations in our manual.
Hi dbuxton13. Thanks a lot for your quick reply and for explaining the behaviours of exhausts. Much appreciated!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Linkers
Hey man I actually found a good picture that shows the layout of the exhaust valves our cars have. Basically like dbuxton13 said is how it functions with the Drive Mode Selector. I attached the picture for you, and others as well, to check out.
Attached Thumbnails B9 S4 Muffler delete anyone?-img_3474.png  
Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks mate. Much appreciated! - This makes perfect sense.

Quick Reply: B9 S4 Muffler delete anyone?