S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 S4 Muffler delete anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam2929

hello! How do i unplug the switch path valve control modules ??
hey man so i had a decent picture of the actual valve module that shows the part to unplug. I circled what I'm talking about. Pretty much the grey/white tab can move in and out to lock it in place, so you just have to move it back (you'll feel it kinda click) then just press it down and pull out the plug. It can be a little tough to reach as its facing like up towards the car and not down to the ground so you can't really see it, just gotta feel around. It's not too difficult to do, just a little tedious lol. Hope that helps
Old 04-22-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been curious to see how that sounds, Can you post a video can't fine any online, I would want to do a muffler delete, and then delete the Res in the middle, Is there anything else we can delete, not including the cats or secondary cats, Like another Res like there is on the B9 A4's?
Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Mufflers

Originally Posted by Mr.Meme Yo Girl
I wouldn't say its too quiet but yeah it does not quite have that aggressive tone id want from a car like this. I actually did disconnect the valves and in my opinion it does sound a little better, just slightly louder but nothing crazy. I think the car should've just came like that from factory but i get the point to make it a little quieter in comfort mode. But I did also end up doing a muffler delete last week and again its nothing crazy loud. The thing is the stock mufflers aren't large to being with so they don't muffle the sound a whole lot. But my over all impression is that its a little louder than stock but not overly loud that its obnoxious or that you'll be pulled over left n right, and it also does make the exhaust pops more noticeable. Personally I'll probably end up deleting the large resonator in the middle as well because I really want that aggressive tone from this car.
did you delete the 2 mufflers by exhaust tips or the central muffler. I really want the crackles and pops a bit louder as they are so muted I feel
Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack Brar

did you delete the 2 mufflers by exhaust tips or the central muffler. I really want the crackles and pops a bit louder as they are so muted I feel
If you want more pops and crackles remove the forward 2 resonators. I have the 2 forward resonators and center muffler/res removed (replaced with x pipe). I didn't remove the mufflers because the valves give you the option of louder and quieter. There is drone between 1800-2500 rpm with open or closed valves. I suspect the center muffler/res would help with drone but in my quest for more noise i removed it without trying it first. My current setup sounds great with the valves open driving around the city, plenty loud with great pops/crackle on gear downs. My only regret was not trying the setup with the center muffler/res still in. Now with the valves closed it's more like the car was in dynamic mode with the OEM exhaust intact..
Old 01-02-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack Brar

I'm actually running straight piped right now, still have the stock cats but no mufflers or resonators from the cat back. If you want more pops I would say delete the 2 cylindrical resonators near the front of the car. I basically started from the back to the front. Deleted the 2 rear mufflers first, then did the center muffler, and then the 2 resonators. Deleting those last 2 did make a noticeable difference in loudness/deepness of the overall sound and also made the pops/crackles more aggressive. Now I dont know if deleting just those two pieces would make a dramatic change considering you still have the 2 rear and 1 center muffler in place, and i dont know how much you care about having drone, but it should definitely help out. maybe even try unplugging your valves along with the 2 resonators delete. I have some videos on my YouTube channel if you wanna check em out, they dont do the exhaust justice on how loud and deep it does sound but you'll get an idea.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds good! I’ve been debating on getting a full exhaust or having a muffler shop delete some pieces as you have done.

My question is about emissions. My knowledge with Japanese cars far exceeds Euro because this is my first Audi. If I delete those resonators that you mentioned will that impact in a fail (or an ugly CEL) when I have to bring it in for emissions testing?

I guess the same question goes for the AWE Touring or Milltek exhausts...
Old 01-02-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jezek
Sounds good! I’ve been debating on getting a full exhaust or having a muffler shop delete some pieces as you have done.

My question is about emissions. My knowledge with Japanese cars far exceeds Euro because this is my first Audi. If I delete those resonators that you mentioned will that impact in a fail (or an ugly CEL) when I have to bring it in for emissions testing?

I guess the same question goes for the AWE Touring or Milltek exhausts...
In my opinion, I dont feel that full cat backs are always worth the money. I got my full exhaust done, including the tips, for like not even $500. To me its essentially the same set up as the AWE Track, just that i dont have an X pipe like that does. But even comparatively, the X Pipe doesn't do much. And as far as emissions go, I just got my NY State Inspection done at my Audi dealer last month and i passed with no issues. You'll generally fail emissions when you mess around with emissions controlling devices like the cats. But again I live in NY so it might be different for your state if you are elsewhere, but generally speaking messing around with the cats is a big reason you could fail. Also I haven't got any CELs either from doing this. I also have the ECS Kholefaser Luft Technic intake installed too. Just take it to a reputable exhaust shop and you should be good
Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Meme Yo Girl
In my opinion, I dont feel that full cat backs are always worth the money. I got my full exhaust done, including the tips, for like not even $500. To me its essentially the same set up as the AWE Track, just that i dont have an X pipe like that does. But even comparatively, the X Pipe doesn't do much. And as far as emissions go, I just got my NY State Inspection done at my Audi dealer last month and i passed with no issues. You'll generally fail emissions when you mess around with emissions controlling devices like the cats. But again I live in NY so it might be different for your state if you are elsewhere, but generally speaking messing around with the cats is a big reason you could fail. Also I haven't got any CELs either from doing this. I also have the ECS Kholefaser Luft Technic intake installed too. Just take it to a reputable exhaust shop and you should be good
Thanks for the reply. I guess I have some decisions to make haha I’m in CT and I’m guessing our emissions program is similar which makes me feel a little better about having to worry about that aspect of it.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jezek

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have some decisions to make haha I’m in CT and I’m guessing our emissions program is similar which makes me feel a little better about having to worry about that aspect of it.
Yeah I dont think deleting a muffler/resonator should fail the emissions portion of the inspection, I wouldn't think of them as "emissions controlling devices", they're "noise controlling devices". Of course if you have strict laws regarding how loud a car can be thats a different story, of course you could get ticketed by a cop for removing them/having a loud car but thats a separate issue lol. I just dont drive around going full throttle at all times and around cops I just throw it in comfort mode and keep my revs low lol
Old 07-15-2019, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I was wondering, after you disconnect the exhaust valves, what do you do with the connector? Do you seal it with tape? Do you wrap it in plastic? Do you just let it hang?

Quick Reply: B9 S4 Muffler delete anyone?