S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Back up braking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Back up braking?

Picked up my new 2019 S4 premium plus last week and moving from my 2011 A4 is to say the least is way past due!😀. As I work through the various systems, electronics and such one item that I can’t seem to determine if I have is back up auto braking . I do have the premium + trim which provides a few drivers aids but I would like to know if I have an auto braking feature. When I first pulled the car into my garage backward the radar does beep as I get closer to the rear wall however I thought the first time in I came too close to the wall and I thought the car braked inches before it would have touched the back wall.
‘I don’t want to experiment again but it would be nice to know this added protection is on board. These driver assistance features have many names and become somewhat of a puzzle to determine which are active as the owners manual covers them all.
Second question. Since it appears most all lf the sensors are already on the car can some of the Prestige driver assistance features be added later with a software update? Items like active lane assist, road sign reading don’t appear to require hardware inside the car?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I think Premium plus does have the rear cross traffic assist. You can test it by putting your car in reverse and then have someone walk up to the corner of your rear bumper (as if on the sidewalk and you were backing out of the driveway). If you have the feature, you'll see a large red arrow on the screen in the direction of the person. If you are actually rolling backwards it will also play a long tone and then eventually slam on the brakes. And I do mean SLAM on the brakes.

Does your car have the two radar domes on front about where the fog lights should be? They kinda look like little missile launchers.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes... I have the sensors.. Will give it a try..
Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

If you do not have a Prestige '19 A4/S4 B9, you do not have the radar sensors even if you have the radar domes at the front of the vehicle. It does not come with the hardware behind it.

It can be added later, yes, with aftermarket companies from Kufatec and purchasing the dongles to update the software and associated hardware. At that rate, it would have been more cost effective to have the Prestige trim from the get-go. What you can add is traffic sign recognition, lane keep assist, and auto high beams as those are software level but radar cruise and traffic jam assist is hardware level.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

OP, specifically what you are asking is not available on this car. Pre-sense is the umbrella term for all these safety features. If fully equipped, the car will auto brake if you are backing out of a parking spot or so and a car or person crosses behind you. It will also auto brake while moving forward and a car in front of you suddenly slows down. There is also a turn assist where if you are trying to turn in front of oncoming traffic it will slam on the brakes if it deems there is not enough room/time to safely cross in front of the oncoming traffic. But if you are hoping for a feature that prevents you from slamming into a wall, then no, it will not auto brake for a wall. It only monitors moving objects. There is some forward facing pedestrian recognition as well, and I believe it will auto brake if it detects a pedestrian in your path, but stationary objects such as walls or parked cars are up to you.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about it auto braking when its too close to an object but i have had the brakes go off, pretty damn hard, when im backing out or into a spot and theres cars going behind me (even though they arent close enough to my car to actually hit and Im not jetting out of the spot). Scares the sh*t outta me every time cause it sounds like something broke or i hit something. Even when driving forward I've had the presense go off randomly and just brake hella hard when there was nothing there. Luckily nobody was behind me cause i definitely could've been rear ended. Personally I haven't had it brake if im backing up too close to something, and I wouldnt wanna try it just in case it doesnt lol. But i guess better to have a system like that than not in case you do back up into something or someone