S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

California front plate law

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default California front plate law

Looks like the "fixit ticket" days are gone. A buddy of mine got ticketed yesterday for no front plate ($300!) and the cop advised him that the new law went into effect in January but is just now being enforced. I'm throwing in the towel and will permanently mount plates on my car. Does anyone know of a permanent mount that sits lower in the grill than the stock position? See attachment.

DaveGee
Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Which department gave the no front plate ticket? It should still be a fix-it ticket resolved through the city or county, typically with a $10 "processing" fee. I would assume if left unpaid or unresolved, then the full amount would be $300.

The new law that went into enforcement on January 1, 2019, requires vehicles on California roadways to have a state issued license plate (temporary paper or permanent metal). You cannot drive around with a "dealer" plate anymore without any identifiers.

It seems they are taking the same approach as Texas where all vehicles on the roadway are plated with temporary paper plates with identifying numbers or the standard metal ones. If left unresolved (e.g. no effort to dismiss), then Texas law calls for a fine around $289.

Now going back on to your question, I don't think there is one out there. There are "stow-and-go" ones that may accomplish what you're looking for, but honestly removing the filler plate and going the OEM route will look a lot better and less obstructive to cooling.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ticket was issued by CHP, Palo Alto. I’m familiar with CA law re plates, what’s new is the (apparent) mandate to start enforcing the front plate requirement versus the long accepted “fixit ticket”.

That said, I’m in need of an OEM front plate bracket if anyone has one that they’re not using.

DaveGee
Old 05-27-2019, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Ticket was issued by CHP, Palo Alto. I’m familiar with CA law re plates, what’s new is the (apparent) mandate to start enforcing the front plate requirement versus the long accepted “fixit ticket”.

That said, I’m in need of an OEM front plate bracket if anyone has one that they’re not using.

DaveGee
That's really unfortunate; sounds a lot like how Texas State Troopers do enforcement. Worst part is, if the troopers let you go with a warning, it's in their system for another trooper to see and you won't be able to use the same excuse.

I do have a OEM front plate bracket somewhere in my garage. I'll let it go for cheap since we're all enthusiasts if I can locate it.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I just mounted mine with the standard factory mount that I traded with a forum member by sending him my blank filler plate.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great suggestion considering there are a lot of states that don't require a front plate. I'm willing to trade out my filler plate - anyone with a spare front plate mount?

DaveGee
Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Ouch... Man that means I gotta mount mine and my wife's car too... jeez
Old 05-28-2019, 09:03 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys,

If I lived in one of the States that requires the Front-License-Plate I would then run a (Personalized) plate of my choice.
And with as nice a Front & Rear license plate holder I could find.
At least then you can choose what's being seen up Front and also Pick a Super-Nice Front-Plate-Holder.

I now run this plate on mine with a nice Black-Plate-Holder .......

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-28-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Looks like the "fixit ticket" days are gone. A buddy of mine got ticketed yesterday for no front plate ($300!) and the cop advised him that the new law went into effect in January but is just now being enforced. I'm throwing in the towel and will permanently mount plates on my car. Does anyone know of a permanent mount that sits lower in the grill than the stock position? See attachment.

DaveGee
Get a Sto n Sho. It's a removable license plate bracket that mounts from the bottom of the bumper. Best part is, the plate is removable from the mount via a simple pull tab if you're feeling a little wild and want to go commando. The mount becomes invisible since it is mounted from underneath. If you just want to leave it on, that's fine too. It leaves the plate in the exact location you marked in the photo, leaving that beautiful grill unobscured.

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com...ine-s4-sns134/

So far no trouble without a front plate for me in Burbank, CA (knock on wood). Everyone that I know in the area has only gotten a fix it ticket.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I threw in the towel and mounted the front plate today. Now I have a never-used Cravenspeed tow hook mount listed for sale in the classifieds.

DaveGee

Quick Reply: California front plate law