S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Collision prevention with ACC off

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collision prevention with ACC off

Is collision prevention always active? Even when ACC is turned off?
Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, unless you turn it off in the MMI under the Driver Assistance settings
Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes. There is also something that is called Pre-Sense, which is there, "always on." In any case, you can turn on ACC without the cruise control function by simply pulling the little lever on the left side of the steering column and then touching the brake pedal. The function you are referring to -- "full stop" will be active. The DAP option increases the safety quotient of pre-sense from "up to" a 25MPH reduction to a 100% reduction due to the ACC's hardware and software abilities. Full stop and automatic go are part of the ACC's talents.

I'm looking forward to Level Three automation -- coming on the new A8. It seems to me we have the hardware needed for level 3, I would assume software could be updated in our S4's to the level three standard. Hell, I'd be happy if Automatic go lasted longer than 3 seconds, say 60 seconds. Also, I'd be delighted if traffic jam assistant could be made to pilot the car for longer than 15 seconds before beeping. My understanding is the new A8 will go for an unlimited period of time while in traffic jam assist mode. There must be some software "missing" in our S4's that the geniuses that wrote these programs figured out we needed to allow traffic jam assistant to last longer than 15 seconds (without touching the wheel) -- I'd think even 3 minutes would be great.

Whattya think I know? Lots of speculation on my part, that's what.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Yes. There is also something that is called Pre-Sense, which is there, "always on." In any case, you can turn on ACC without the cruise control function by simply pulling the little lever on the left side of the steering column and then touching the brake pedal. The function you are referring to -- "full stop" will be active. The DAP option increases the safety quotient of pre-sense from "up to" a 25MPH reduction to a 100% reduction due to the ACC's hardware and software abilities. Full stop and automatic go are part of the ACC's talents.

I'm looking forward to Level Three automation -- coming on the new A8. It seems to me we have the hardware needed for level 3, I would assume software could be updated in our S4's to the level three standard. Hell, I'd be happy if Automatic go lasted longer than 3 seconds, say 60 seconds. Also, I'd be delighted if traffic jam assistant could be made to pilot the car for longer than 15 seconds before beeping. My understanding is the new A8 will go for an unlimited period of time while in traffic jam assist mode. There must be some software "missing" in our S4's that the geniuses that wrote these programs figured out we needed to allow traffic jam assistant to last longer than 15 seconds (without touching the wheel) -- I'd think even 3 minutes would be great.

Whattya think I know? Lots of speculation on my part, that's what.
The current cars are missing the laser scanner, so it is a missing hardware issue. Without it, the radar alone cannot pick up stopped objects in the distance.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Figures. And, just like virtually all auto mfgrs, I would assume Audi will not allow the upgrade, or even if they do, it will be prohibitively expensive.

A couple of my friends have airplanes -- and it seems avionics upgrades are common; perhaps at some point, some of these upgrades will be made possible for cars. Probably not in my lifetime.

Wonder how long the A8 level 3 will take to make it to the A4/S4 family.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Wonder how long the A8 level 3 will take to make it to the A4/S4 family.
The LiDar unit retails for $8k without markup by the OEM. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

To the OP: There are a lot of safety features in a new S4, both with and without DAP.

Audi pre sense basic
Audi pre sense city (can be set to Early, Medium or Late)
Parking system, rear
Parking system plus
Audi Side Assist
Cross Traffic Assist
Exit Warning Assist

The additional features due to the Driver Assistance Package are:

Turn Assist (blinker must be on to work)
Stop & Go
Audi Active Lane Assist also provides for Emergency Assist
Pre sense Front and Rear
Traffic Jam Assist
High Beam Assist
Predictive Efficiency Assist

Neither set up offers the Trailer Maneuver or Park Assist (available elsewhere, but not available in U.S. for some reason).

Some of the features require the driver to "turn them on," such as High Beam Assist. Most of the features are always on.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Has anyone with DAP actually tested this and personally had the car bring itself to a full and complete stop while ACC was disabled / "in standby"?

I've had ACC completely stop the car at a relatively aggressive pace from highway speeds while engaged and tracking the car ahead (green icon on dash/HUD) -- when that happened the HUD/VC flashes a red triangle and a chime sounds while ACC brakes the car to a complete stop without my involvement (I was covering the brake and ready to hit it, but didn't need to)... but I've never tested this with ACC disabled or in standby (white instead of green). This occurred when a piece of road debris flew across the road a few cars ahead, I think it was a hubcap, couldn't really tell, and several of the cars ahead braked aggressively.

Wondering if anyone can confirm the experience is the same or similar if ACC is off?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the car perform an emergency stop when I was parking in my garage. Pulling into my garage is an art in itself, and I was doing it for the first time at night, which didn't help. Things always beep so I basically disregard it, but I did come within 1cm of the wall and the car just stopped, which was good.

Didn't try it at speed, but I did have the red triangle and a beep come out at me on a couple of instances, justifiably, but before it needed to take braking action.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Wondering if anyone can confirm the experience is the same or similar if ACC is off?

Hey Mark... We need to borrow your car for a minute...

Quick Reply: Collision prevention with ACC off