S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Collision prevention with ACC off

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Has anyone with DAP actually tested this and personally had the car bring itself to a full and complete stop while ACC was disabled / "in standby"?
Not on a B9 A4 specifically, but yes. Several times on my current RS5 for example. ACC does not need to be active for the car to trigger an emergency stop. I've never let any car completely come to a stop on its own, though. Usually, the moment it engages I instinctively step on the brakes to ensure full braking power.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

This car's safety system(s) continues to impress.

Presense - it detected and helped me avoid hitting a German Shepherd that ran in front of me
Rear Cross-traffic - it lit up on the top-view screen and when I didn't respond quickly enough for "it", the thing went ahead and blipped the brakes; one of us stopped the car (the computer or me), not sure which.
The ACC + traffic jam assist is a modern marvel in the heavy traffic on I-275, that is an increasing reality of life, even in the "big town/small city" of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.

I pull out of my driveway and turn on ACC (with the shift in "S" mode) and essentially have come to believe DAP is one of those "points of inflection" where "things change" -- and we morph from one paradigm to a new one.

Why top-view and DAP "require" Prestige is beyond me -- every car (at least every Audi) should have this stuff, standard. The level 3 automation coming soon in the new A8 and then -- I predict -- quickly available throughout the product lineup is something I'm looking forward to.

By the time I go for the RS5-SB in a couple of years, who knows, maybe we'll be close to level 4.

Dear Audi,

Give us MORE functionality via the MMI -- not ODB eleven.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I pull out of my driveway and turn on ACC (with the shift in "S" mode)
Curious: do you set it to a particular speed right out of the driveway?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
Curious: do you set it to a particular speed right out of the driveway?
25MPH.

When I turn out of the sub-division, the cruise automatically sets itself for 45MPH. When I get to the Interstate it sets itself for 65MPH. I have my system set to a +10mph "tolerance," which means here in greater Cincinnati, I double tap the cruise lever which adds 10 -- so when I'm on I-275 where the "average" speed is 72MPH, I'm at 75 -- and the ACC, of course, adapts the speed to the traffic density. From time to time I actually get to 75, usually the traffic and the ACC cap my speed between 70 and 73. When I exit as I go into my office complex, the ACC automatically resets the speed to 35MPH and I drive the two blocks into my office park and touch the brake which puts the ACC in standby (and if I were to pull the ACC lever, the sign recognition feature would reset the speed to the "last sign" the system "saw". Depending on the traffic density and speed, I may leave it alone or bump it up to the "tolerance" level or split the difference.)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
25MPH.

When I turn out of the sub-division, the cruise automatically sets itself for 45MPH. When I get to the Interstate it sets itself for 65MPH. I have my system set to a +10mph "tolerance," which means here in greater Cincinnati, I double tap the cruise lever which adds 10 -- so when I'm on I-275 where the "average" speed is 72MPH, I'm at 75 -- and the ACC, of course, adapts the speed to the traffic density. From time to time I actually get to 75, usually the traffic and the ACC cap my speed between 70 and 73. When I exit as I go into my office complex, the ACC automatically resets the speed to 35MPH and I drive the two blocks into my office park and touch the brake which puts the ACC in standby (and if I were to pull the ACC lever, the sign recognition feature would reset the speed to the "last sign" the system "saw". Depending on the traffic density and speed, I may leave it alone or bump it up to the "tolerance" level or split the difference.)
Very interesting, thanks for explaining in such detail. I turned off the whole predictive thing after it was doing things I found annoying, but I guess I should give it another try.