S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Considering a 2018 S4 that was a demo, good deal or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 2018 S4 that was a demo, good deal or no?

(Canada)

So i'm looking at a 2018 S4 at a dealership near me that was a previous demo car. I went and checked it out, and it seems to be in good shape, it has 9900km on it and has decent discount on it. But im not sure if there is anything else i should be watching out for or how much room i could still negotiate on the price.

MSRP Base price: 62,100

Carbon Atlas Inlays : 900

Red Brake Calipers: 500

quattro w/rear sport differential: 1900

S adaptive damping Suspension: 1000

Heads Up Display: 1100

TOTAL MSRP 67500

DISCOUNT -13000

SALE PRICE 54500

DEALER OPTIONS AND CHARGES

Documentation Fee 495

AMVIC Fee 6.25

Tire Recycling 20

AC tax 100

Freight and PDI 2095

Audi All Season Package 995

Xpel Rock Guard 1299

Audi Security Etch 299

TOTAL SALES PRICE 59809.25

GST 2990.46

TOTAL 62799.71

The summer tires it comes with are brand new, as it was used over the winter. The warranty in service date was July of 2018, so a year of the warranty is gone. I was thinking if i could get it down to 60k all in with Audi Care included that would be a good deal, but should i go lower considering it has 10,000km on it already and was a demo?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

WOW! You really get ripped off in Canada. So WTF is AC tax?
Old 04-26-2019, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Important value question: Is this car considered a CPO from a warranty perspective?
Depending on how long you plan to own it and how much you plan to drive, that answer could be worth thousands in value: you're talking a difference of 4 years/80,000km for the base warranty vs (up to) 6 years or 160,000 km for the certified one.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Important value question: Is this car considered a CPO from a warranty perspective?
Depending on how long you plan to own it and how much you plan to drive, that answer could be worth thousands in value: you're talking a difference of 4 years/80,000km for the base warranty vs (up to) 6 years or 160,000 km for the certified one.
Its not CPO, they want extra to do an inspection on it. It would just be the balance of the factory warranty remaining atm.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought a 2016 Touareg TDi post fix from the dealer in 2018. It was used as a demo during the no sale period and had 8K miles on it after they "fixed" it. It was sold to me as a "new" car with full warranty, starting from the day I picked it up (time and mileage), not a "balance" of the warranty period. So, I would suggest that you at least get the full warranty time period/mileage, instead of a "balance" of...
Old 04-26-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ywang98
I bought a 2016 Touareg TDi post fix from the dealer in 2018. It was used as a demo during the no sale period and had 8K miles on it after they "fixed" it. It was sold to me as a "new" car with full warranty, starting from the day I picked it up (time and mileage), not a "balance" of the warranty period. So, I would suggest that you at least get the full warranty time period/mileage, instead of a "balance" of...
The TDI's were sold with "special" considerations. I don't think you can get a full warranty on any other car with that many miles. Some states even have rules as to how many miles a car can have before it's no longer a "new" car.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by atinyrabbit
Its not CPO, they want extra to do an inspection on it. It would just be the balance of the factory warranty remaining atm.
I would normally shy away from a demo car that is not CPO'd. Also, I have not heard of anyone paying Freight and PDI on a demo car. I would ask the dealer to waive it ($2,095). I suggest getting rid of the XPEL Rock Guard being offered. They're charging a lot ($1,299) for protecting just the front edge of the hood and probably small section of the front doors. If you really want XPEL or similar clear film protection, you will save money by having it applied by an independent detailer. The Audi All Season Package is mainly a bunch of Audi branded rubber mats that includes the large trunk mat. For $995, I suggest buying WeatherTech mats instead for a much lower cost. The Weather Techs have a higher side wall that prevents melt or rain water from going over the edge and soaking up your car's carpets. You can purchase Weather Tech floor and trunk mats directly from the Weather Tech website. They will ship their stuff within Canada and charge in Canadian dollars.

I will also try to get them to reduce the DOC FEE. I never believed that all that documentation a dealer does costs $495. That fee is basically a rip-off even if they insist that it is a fixed cost that cannot be negotiated. It only takes them less than 20 minutes to do any documents using a computer. Even with the cost of the forms plus the time it takes for the Finance Manager to put all the docs together, all that won't amount to $495.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by India Whiskey Charlie
WOW! You really get ripped off in Canada. So WTF is AC tax?
Air conditioning Tax
On new vehicles, some dealers may charge an Air Conditioning Recovery Fee. The actual tax is paid by the manufacturer to the federal government at the time the vehicle is sent to the dealer. The manufacturer sometimes passes this cost on to the dealer separate from the MSRP of the vehicle and the dealer then passes the cost along to the consumer. This is part of the price the dealer is asking for the vehicle and not a consumer tax. This should be made clear to a buyer and should not be represented as a consumer tax.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
I would normally shy away from a demo car that is not CPO'd. Also, I have not heard of anyone paying Freight and PDI on a demo car. I would ask the dealer to waive it ($2,095). I suggest getting rid of the XPEL Rock Guard being offered. They're charging a lot ($1,299) for protecting just the front edge of the hood and probably small section of the front doors. If you really want XPEL or similar clear film protection, you will save money by having it applied by an independent detailer. The Audi All Season Package is mainly a bunch of Audi branded rubber mats that includes the large trunk mat. For $995, I suggest buying WeatherTech mats instead for a much lower cost. The Weather Techs have a higher side wall that prevents melt or rain water from going over the edge and soaking up your car's carpets. You can purchase Weather Tech floor and trunk mats directly from the Weather Tech website. They will ship their stuff within Canada and charge in Canadian dollars.

I will also try to get them to reduce the DOC FEE. I never believed that all that documentation a dealer does costs $495. That fee is basically a rip-off even if they insist that it is a fixed cost that cannot be negotiated. It only takes them less than 20 minutes to do any documents using a computer. Even with the cost of the forms plus the time it takes for the Finance Manager to put all the docs together, all that won't amount to $495.
Yup, i said no to the pdi and freight on a demo, the xpel is already on the car, but given they put it on since it was being used as a loaner i dont see why I should pick up that cost. Also want to get my own mats, i had weathertech for my previous audi and they were great and way better. Car seemed in good shape, but who knows how it was driven, so CPO is pretty much a must imo.