S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Considering S4, Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon44
It is an incredible bargain.
I went to BMW website and built a seriously loaded 540i.
Every option with M package driver assist 1 and 2 etc.
It came to $68000 . Not even as quick as S4.
FYI
The S4 is not an analog of the 540 -- that duty falls to the A6.

And yes, an S4 is quicker than a 540.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Damon44
It is an incredible bargain.
I went to BMW website and built a seriously loaded 540i.
Every option with M package driver assist 1 and 2 etc.
It came to $68000 . Not even as quick as S4.
FYI
While I, personally, think the S4 is a YUUUGE bargain, some folks don't get that.

Cars are, largely vanity purchases in this class. They are in every class, almost, ego items.

The S4 is a class of car that is not as cooool as CUV's and perhaps coupes 2 and 4 door.

There is, of course, some relationship between cost and price -- but there is also what the market values.

Sedans are not as valued as they used to be.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
While I, personally, think the S4 is a YUUUGE bargain, some folks don't get that.

Cars are, largely vanity purchases in this class. They are in every class, almost, ego items.

The S4 is a class of car that is not as cooool as CUV's and perhaps coupes 2 and 4 door.

There is, of course, some relationship between cost and price -- but there is also what the market values.

Sedans are not as valued as they used to be.
We recently ordered an S4 (To replace wifes 2014 TDI A6) - and to me fully loaded prestige package with a tag slightly over 60K seemed to be like a bargain on all that it offered. Top rate interior (on par even in some areas 'more' so than my RS7), great looks, fun to drive, loaded with TECH (heads up display, digital gauges, etc) -- I'm excited to see how it will compare long term to my one car that I truly really miss (The B8.5 S4).

We also briefly considered the new BMW 5s -- but something about it already seemed 'old' and 'dated' - the minute they got on the showroom floors. Plus the 'S' cars have a special-ness to them that is hard to beat unless you step up to an M of some sort on BMW.

Last edited by socialpro; 07-24-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's a data point -- technically our SQ5 is our 33rd Audi, but #32 is my 2018 S4 Prestige with Napa leather and the Driver Assistance Package.

This now qualifies as the best Audi I've ever had including (besting) my first S6 an A8 and a 6-speed manual 2.7T allroad with every option possible in 2003 and even my 2014 S4.

I know what you mean about it making other cars look dated -- unfortunately INCLUDING the A6 family which won't be updated until 2019.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a data point -- technically our SQ5 is our 33rd Audi, but #32 is my 2018 S4 Prestige with Napa leather and the Driver Assistance Package.

This now qualifies as the best Audi I've ever had including (besting) my first S6 an A8 and a 6-speed manual 2.7T allroad with every option possible in 2003 and even my 2014 S4.

I know what you mean about it making other cars look dated -- unfortunately INCLUDING the A6 family which won't be updated until 2019.
That's great feedback -- there are two things that still lurk in the back of my mind

1 -- That exhaust note / hum is OK - Its definitely not the greatest sound coming out of the car and a bit too 'artificial' (boy-racer?) for me...I'm curious to see what my perspective of that will be over the long term. I pulled the fuse in my B8.5 S4 to turn of the soundkator - and preferred the cabin 'quiet' over artificial noises.

2 -- We spec'd the car with sports package but WITHOUT the dynamic steering. At the time I almost didn't think twice about not including that - but wondering if I should have. I did not get a chance to drive an S4 WITH the dynamic steering, but my RS7 has it - and on 'comfort' setting - where it is actual variable steering rates - I HATE it. On dynamic - as far as I understand, it is fixed ratio steering (although still 'overboosted' from non dynamic steering rates - and I do enjoy the way that feels.

I loved the steering in my B8.5 s4 set on dynamic (I did NOT have dynamic steering in the car) - and at no point wished for anything different. I also do think the dynamic steering is more of a factor in a 'large' car over a smaller, already a more 'nimble' sedan.

As far as I can remember - I did enjoy the B9 S4 regular steering on our test drive (set to dynamic) - but that was brief, over 2 months ago, and at that time the things I was more focused on was road/suspension feel, handling, etc --- so mostly ignored the 'steering' feel of things. Besides - this car is for my wife, where these minute things definitely would not even cross her mind. As I drive her cars from time to time - what we get/order is somewhat important to me as well.

Car will be here in ~ 2 weeks and hope its as great overall as all the feedback I've read from you Mark. It will def be a hoot to drive over her current A6 TDI (which is a GREAT car by many many measures) - but emotional and/or sports car it is really not.

Mark - question for you -- how would you compare your previous S4 steering to this one (if they were both not dynamic steering)? Do you ever wish you would have gotten it on this one?

I agree with your posts as well - it's not really the 'cost' factor that's involved but always more so 'what is this going to give me' ---

Last edited by socialpro; 07-25-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by socialpro
That's great feedback -- there are two things that still lurk in the back of my mind

1 -- That exhaust note / hum is OK - Its definitely not the greatest sound coming out of the car and a bit too 'artificial' (boy-racer?) for me...I'm curious to see what my perspective of that will be over the long term. I pulled the fuse in my B8.5 S4 to turn of the soundkator - and preferred the cabin 'quiet' over artificial noises.

2 -- We spec'd the car with sports package but WITHOUT the dynamic steering. At the time I almost didn't think twice about not including that - but wondering if I should have. I did not get a chance to drive an S4 WITH the dynamic steering, but my RS7 has it - and on 'comfort' setting - where it is actual variable steering rates - I HATE it. On dynamic - as far as I understand, it is fixed ratio steering (although still 'overboosted' from non dynamic steering rates - and I do enjoy the way that feels.

I loved the steering in my B8.5 s4 set on dynamic (I did NOT have dynamic steering in the car) - and at no point wished for anything different. I also do think the dynamic steering is more of a factor in a 'large' car over a smaller, already a more 'nimble' sedan.

As far as I can remember - I did enjoy the B9 S4 regular steering on our test drive (set to dynamic) - but that was brief, over 2 months ago, and at that time the things I was more focused on was road/suspension feel, handling, etc --- so mostly ignored the 'steering' feel of things. Besides - this car is for my wife, where these minute things definitely would not even cross her mind. As I drive her cars from time to time - what we get/order is somewhat important to me as well.

Car will be here in ~ 2 weeks and hope its as great overall as all the feedback I've read from you Mark. It will def be a hoot to drive over her current A6 TDI (which is a GREAT car by many many measures) - but emotional and/or sports car it is really not.

Mark - question for you -- how would you compare your previous S4 steering to this one (if they were both not dynamic steering)? Do you ever wish you would have gotten it on this one?

I agree with your posts as well - it's not really the 'cost' factor that's involved but always more so 'what is this going to give me' ---
My 2014 S4 did have ADS, I kept the steering in dynamic mode. The car had the stock steering. My 2018 S4 also with ADS and with stock steering is in dynamic mode. My exhaust sound is set to Comfort (in the INDIVIDUAL configuration).

When I am "feeling like I want to zoom around," I put the ADS in full dynamic mode. The sound levels pick up, obviously.

Now, here is why you need to put the ADS exhaust sound in comfort mode, assuming you want things to be as quiet as possible.

If you put the sound setting in either Auto or Dynamic, you will note a louder sound when the engine/transmission setting is set to "dynamic" -- when Exhaust Sound is set to auto, the default is comfort when the engine/transmission is in comfort or auto. However, if you leave the Exhaust Sound parameter in auto and shift the car into "S" mode (via a double pull of the gear shift) the exhaust sound defaults to dynamic. If you want the car to be as quiet as possible, you MUST set the Individual setting of Exhaust Sound to "comfort," for in that mode it will not revert to dynamic, no matter what.

So, if you or your wife want's the quietest S4 possible, start with a Prestige version (giving you dual pane front-door glass) and keep the ADS in Individual and the Individual setting for sound in Comfort.

There will be a quiz later.

Everything about this S4 -- this Audi -- beats every other car, which have been mostly Audis, including my A8 (which I'll grant was all about lux, not performance).

Really, I think, "what a treat" to have the massaging seats -- I know they are the "entry level" massaging seats, but they are massaging seats nevertheless.

The fit and finish is great and even though I am overly impressed with electronic "do dads", I love the ability to change the interior lighting and colors. Driver assistance, well hell, I thought I'd use that from time to time -- I use it every day on the Interstate to and from the office.

The brakes on this thing are fabulous, too, even better than on some earlier generation V8 Audis that I've had.

The sound system is close to the best I've heard too -- thus far only Acura seems to have figured out a better sounding system, but then again that is because they embraced DVD-A, and good luck finding much of a selection of those; which means, the "regular" recordings sound better on the Audi than the Acura.

The Audi S6 "Bose" option (the middle in terms of expense) sucks compared to the new A4 B&O system.

I know the S4 is not a sports sedan, but it is a VERY SPORTY SEDAN, to be sure. Try getting a new BMW 340 x-drive priced at $60,650 and compare it to an S4 Prestige (@ the same price) with Napa leather and premium paint and all of the stuff Prestige means (plus driver assistance) -- you'll think you're in a stripped version from BMW by comparison.

I did not compare the S4 to an Alfa Gulia, doing so would've meant going to the top spec Alfa which would be close to $80K thusly equipped -- but, in fairness, the Alfa would have been a true sports sedan. Some version of an RS4 would be required to compete with that Alfa.

What's left, Cadillac? Give me a break (or a brake, if you like). Volvo, hmm, maybe, a little bit, but not really. A C-class Mercedes could be a contender -- it's just the price per pound kind of thing that means "advantage Audi."

I know there is a next-gen BMW 3 coming next year, but, it ain't here yet -- so whattya gonna do (for $60,650)?

If you're into a more visceral Audi, the RS3 for similar money could work, but there's not much in the way of a back seat, if you care about such things.

Let's see, Lexus -- sure as heck not the IS350 AWD F or no F-type -- the Infiniti "Red" -- could be, in a straight line, but the total package just isn't there, but it's a thought. No Acura TLX anymore could be cross shopped either, "we've gone a different direction."

You're pretty much going to have to look at:

Audi S4
Some version of the Cadillac ATS
Some version of a BMW 340 or
Some version of a Mercedes C class

You would need to equip these cars with appropriate (competitive) power and content.

Good luck making too much headway for similar monies.

Today, there are only cars in the same "class" as the S4, there just aren't many that can compete in terms of the total package at the price point of "just north of $60K"!

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-25-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2014 S4 did have ADS, I kept the steering in dynamic mode. The car had the stock steering. My 2018 S4 also with ADS and with stock steering is in dynamic mode. My exhaust sound is set to Comfort (in the INDIVIDUAL configuration).

When I am "feeling like I want to zoom around," I put the ADS in full dynamic mode. The sound levels pick up, obviously.

Today, there are only cars in the same "class" as the S4, there just aren't many that can compete in terms of the total package at the price point of "just north of $60K"!
Yes, no competitors in the same class (to us) come close to offering what the B9 S4 does.

Mark - not sure if I didn't clarify, our car is already built, is on a vessel and should be arriving to San Diego port somewhere on Aug 5th -

It is exactly what we want minus the looming thought that *maybe* I should of gotten the dynamic steering on this (which we left out)...

Do you have any comment on comparing the steering feel of B8.5 vs B9?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by socialpro
Yes, no competitors in the same class (to us) come close to offering what the B9 S4 does.

Mark - not sure if I didn't clarify, our car is already built, is on a vessel and should be arriving to San Diego port somewhere on Aug 5th -

It is exactly what we want minus the looming thought that *maybe* I should of gotten the dynamic steering on this (which we left out)...

Do you have any comment on comparing the steering feel of B8.5 vs B9?
The "quattro crab" -- a low speed judder -- has been vanquished. Otherwise they are pretty similar (and that's a good thing).
Old 07-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know. Did you try the S5 SB? I wonder how you felt about it compared to the S4.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gravi
Good to know. Did you try the S5 SB? I wonder how you felt about it compared to the S4.
I know the price of a car is much more related to demand than simply the cost of the componentry of the vehicle itself, but I just can't see myself buying something that is clearly the same chassis with a different skin and paying more for it.

I can't see the nearly $10,000 upcharge for the A7 for example. I see the beauty of the A7, but I also see the beauty of the A6.

I "learned" the driver assistance system on an A5, but I wouldn't pay more for the 5 than a 4 -- it seems illogical (to ME, others may feel differently and that's fine) to pay more and not get more.

I'd take an S6 any day over an S7 -- and, frankly I don't much like either of them, they feel "ponderous" not nimble and have crappy sound systems unless you opt for a nearly $5,000 B&O upgrade over the mid level Bose system.

Even with the air suspension in full dynamic, these S cars feel soft.

I took an S6 home for a Friday and Saturday and although it was incredibly powerful getting to 100MPH before I got out of my sub-division (well, not really, but you get my drift). The S4 feels somewhat more like an RS vehicle than it has any right to. I assume an RS4 would make me think my lowly S4 was broken, but in the mean time, the S4 is the most compelling reasonably priced Audi there is.

I love the RS7, the super duper performance RS7 for $150K is probably like seeing god, but I'm not sure it really is triple the car the S4 is.

I'd love for Audi to put the V6 in the allroad and make an s allroad, that would be very interesting (but would probably not be a good seller).

At this moment, the only S cars we can get in this country worth having are the S4 and the pair of S5's. Also of some considerable merit is another S vehicle that is not a car, the SQ5 (as long as it is in Prestige trim).

The above represents my opinion and I stand:

Often wrong, but never uncertain.

Quick Reply: Considering S4, Need some advice