S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

DAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, it shows turn by turn navigation (in color).

It shows the "last" speed limit sign (including school zones) the camera saw (unless the GPS -- which does NOT require navigation active -- "knows" by latitude/longitude you are on an Interstate with a speed limit, for example, of 70).

It shows the cruise control setting (and if you are using both Sign Recognition + ACC [with sign recognition controlling the ACC] the HUD will tell you the ACC has been set to the currently "known" speed limit)

The "icons" indicating your car, the "radar spread" and any leading car detected will be displayed in green, and if you are too close to a car (for example someone shoe-horns in front of the appropriate gap between you and the car in front of you) both your car and the one in front of you -- that is the icon -- turns red and flashes indicating you'd better back off (and if you ignore it, the car automatically backs off and the flashing red icon returns to green.) If you have set your "tolerance" over the speed limit to 10 MPH and you drive 81 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, a speed sign (in the HUD) will begin flashing. It will not prevent you from speeding in any way, but it will remind you that you "asked" to be notified when you exceed the posted speed limit by more than 10 MPH.

When traffic jam assist is activated, you will see (iconically) your car, the radar spread, and a separate graphic indicating a traffic jam -- thus telling you the car is fully controlling the accelerator, brakes, and steering (at speeds under 40 MPH).

When lane assist is active, two parallel lines (with one or both in gray or green -- indicating "active") are shown in the HUD.

What is missing, in my opinion: turn signal indication (they are replicated in the outside mirrors, though) and Audi Side Assist (blind spot warning)

Nothing is perfect. Nothing that is "complete" according to the programmer of the HUD is, necessarily, complete for you or me.

It's a damn sight better than having to glance down at your TFT VC -- which, as I have noted, could require .5 seconds (or more) for the "cycle" of eye travel (.25 second down + .25 second up), which translates to 44 feet at a speed of 60 MPH. This distance could mean the difference between a negative outcome or a positive outcome. The HUD, I would assume, will continue to offer more and more user-selectable data (and someone via ODB 11 may already have figured out how to do this.)

The combination of HUD + DAP (with all of the other "legacy" technologies, such as quattro, ABS, ESP, Brake-assist, Torque Management, Top-view -- and perhaps even the optional Torque Vectoring, etc., etc., etc.) create -- today -- a powerful synergy of performance and safety systems that (I predict) will be, uh, de rigueur, very soon. The good news is, you can have it today and benefit from what is, for us mere mortals (not the 1%-ers, i.e.) the state-of-the-art.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark again thank you for your prompt and detailed responses! Thank you for getting me to spend more money on Prestige now after reading everything you have helped answer!!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heynowbababooey
Mark again thank you for your prompt and detailed responses! Thank you for getting me to spend more money on Prestige now after reading everything you have helped answer!!
I forgot a couple of things: Upcoming "curves" or intersections are shown iconically (in the HUD) as two lines with a dotted middle line (it looks like a two-lane highway with a bend upcoming), this "bend in the road" causes the car to automatically slow for the upcoming curve (you can turn this off). This means, if you are on an unfamiliar stretch of road with a speed limit of 55 MPH and you come over a crest and there is a 90-degree turn with a sign indicating "Curve, 15 MPH" that the car will alert you to the blind curve and, if active, the system will both SHOW you (in the HUD) and SLOW you from 55 MPH to perhaps 25 or 30 MPH thus allowing you to safely negotiate the bend (a 15 MPH indicated bend the road in an Audi, on dry pavement, translates easily to 35 or 40 MHP, typically). The point is, the HUD tells you there is something coming that you need to know about and if you've got the aids activated actually anticipates your need to slow and even does it for you.

Also, if Audi Pre-sense (via a large RED Triangle with an "!" (exclamation point) in the middle) displays, you will see this in the HUD also. If you ignore the Pre-sense warning, the car (if equipped with DAP) will bring itself to a full-stop (and it pre-charges the brakes for "instantaneous" response should you want to press the brake pedal with your foot rather than allow the technology to do it for you.)

This stuff needs to be in every vehicle at every price point -- it's game changing. I hate to sound like an advertisement, but "Intelligence is the new Rock-'n'-Roll" (or, if you remember Foghat, "Stone and Bun.")

Don't leave home without it.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati

Also, if Audi Pre-sense (via a large RED Triangle with an "!" (exclamation point) in the middle) displays, you will see this in the HUD also.
I wish there was an option to turn on audible alerts with pre-sense warning.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing that irritates me about Driver Assistance from Audi, is that SO many lesser cars come with this same technology for WAY less money.

You're hard pressed to find a Toyota Corolla in a rental fleet these days that doesn't have lane departure, adaptive cruise, and so on.

Granted I think Audi does it better, and have been doing it MUCH longer -- but still, this isn't rocket science anymore, and Audi commands an Uber Premium for this package, where other manufacturers are practically giving it away.

end rant.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
The thing that irritates me about Driver Assistance from Audi, is that SO many lesser cars come with this same technology for WAY less money.

You're hard pressed to find a Toyota Corolla in a rental fleet these days that doesn't have lane departure, adaptive cruise, and so on.

Granted I think Audi does it better, and have been doing it MUCH longer -- but still, this isn't rocket science anymore, and Audi commands an Uber Premium for this package, where other manufacturers are practically giving it away.

end rant.
Just my thoughts, I’m in a hertz rental weekly for work. I get to choose from their ‘premium’ fleet, as I am presidents gold circle.
None of the corollas,altimas,Malibu’s, etc., have been equipped with DA. Last week was an infinity q50 3.0t, the week before happened to be a Q60 3.0t, both AWD—and both were dogs, btw-the Q60 Christmas tree’d me on the highway, and had to be flat-bedded back to hertz. Neither had any DA features. I have had a few Chrysler 300’s with it- they seem to make it available on their ‘premium’ models. But it IS still relatively new tech, and relatively few cars have it. I do think within a couple of years, you won’t have a choice. You’ll get DA wheather you want it or not. Your next car likely will do a lot of the driving for you. But Audi’s S models are drivers cars for enthusiasts-people who like to drive. Makes sense on their A-line models, but I can’t imagine buying an RS5, and letting it do the driving for me.
And it has to be said- just because you have HUD/DA, doesn’t mean you’re not going to be a distracted/bad driver. And while theoretically, with hud/da you won’t have to take your eyes of the road so much (or you can take your eyes off the road with DA-which i think encourages bad driving habits, and a false sense of security) you still will—bad drivers will still be bad drivers.

I didnt option either, because I priorItized the Sport Pack and Dynamic Steering in my budget. Again, just my thoughts. I’m not a technophobe-I have a smart home—everything from HVAC, lighting, A/V entertainment, range/dishwasher/fridge, robotic floor cleaning, security, etc., is at least partially automated, and controlled from a smart device. But I love to drive, so I’m holding out as long as possible on automated driving features. I fear my time is running out, though.
As far as resale value—I don’t think the potential few extra bucks you’ll get for your dap equipped trade will be significant, and I dont think your 3 year old S-model will be un sellable because it has none of those cool extras.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
I didnt option either, because I priorItized the Sport Pack and Dynamic Steering in my budget. Again, just my thoughts. I’m not a technophobe-I have a smart home—everything from HVAC, lighting, A/V entertainment, range/dishwasher/fridge, robotic floor cleaning, security, etc., is at least partially automated, and controlled from a smart device. But I love to drive, so I’m holding out as long as possible on automated driving features. I fear my time is running out, though.
As far as resale value—I don’t think the potential few extra bucks you’ll get for your dap equipped trade will be significant, and I dont think your 3 year old S-model will be un sellable because it has none of those cool extras.
It doesn't make any sense to option DAP for resale value. Like the rest of the car, the package will depreciate with time. It is certainly not an investment.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
It doesn't make any sense to option DAP for resale value. Like the rest of the car, the package will depreciate with time. It is certainly not an investment.
It doesn't ever make sense to look at buying (or especially leasing) a car as an investment, they sit squarely in the Expense category. A vehicle purchase meets a personal transportation need, and every option added beyond the base model is for driver enjoyment or safety/protection. Personally, I love DAP and would not have considered optioning the car without it. I don't give two plums about resale; all cars depreciate so that is not even a consideration. What is a consideration is my personal experience while driving the car throughout its ownership, that is worth every penny. Crawling in traffic with Adaptive Cruise Control, Auto Stop and Go, and Lane Assist... these features place HUGE on the daily use and enjoyment spectrum.

The HUD is also a simple yet very powerful tool that seems to be overlooked by people that haven't used them. Having your speed available without taking your eyes off the road... c'mon it's a no brainer how valuable that is. Couple that with the traffic sign recognition capturing every speed limit change in case you missed it, and displaying it right there next to your speed. These are simple situational awareness tools, but heavy cognitive boosters. The latest US traffic accident stats show the following as a result of taking eyes off the road: 3,477 total deaths, 391,000 injuries.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 04-30-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

dbuxton13: I agree with your post. But, then again, my impression of those who participate in this particular forum is that a significant % of us don't buy (or lease) S4's from inventory. Of course, this is probably circumstantial bias on my part, since my wife and I have ordered 31 (maybe 30) of the 33 Audis we have had and 2 of the 3 BMWs we've had. Further, our Cincinnati dealer claims that the overwhelming majority of S and RS cars they sell are special ordered, not from local inventory, that is.

So, while I do think there is some risk in buying an unpopular color or ordering a lightly optioned version (in terms of some hit on the resale value), for most of us ordering their cars, we order the cars to our specifications and ignore the future resale. Someone ordering a "loud pastel" tangerine-gloss RS7 (there's one of these at my Audi dealer -- and, to me, it's hideous) may take a resale hit larger than someone who orders a Daytona or Nardo, but it almost certainly is as irrelevant to that customer as the impact of ordering an S4 sans DAP and VC is to that customer.

The most relevant and astute sentence in your above post is: "The HUD is also a simple yet very powerful tool that seems to be overlooked by people that haven't used them." I had never had ACC, sign recognition, high-beam assistant, lane departure, VC, torque management, HUD, and on and on before my 2018 S4. I did have the chance to drive the "touring" A5 demonstration vehicle with DAP, etc. before I bought my S4, but my test drive of the A5 came weeks AFTER I had ordered my S4. Now that I have had DAP for over 12,000 miles, I can attest that it has intervened several times (as has "rear cross traffic" brake assistant) to prevent an "incident".

Much in the same way that ABS and ESP (and a host of other technologies, including Side Assist) were "discounted" by [some] "purists" as unnecessary expenses, there are those "that haven't used them" who seem hell-bent on discouraging their adoption. DAP (level-2 automation) has its inadequacies, to be sure, but, overall, the system does increase the overall satisfaction and enjoyment with the vehicle -- but, perhaps more importantly, these technologies are clear performance and safety features.

On the other hand, I do agree with those here who wonder why a $60K car charges extra for these features when, apparently, there are significantly less expensive brands available with similar tech.

I'm of the school of thought that is hoping for the roll-out of effective level-3 and level-4 automation sooner, rather than later.

I did not order DAP for its resale value, however, I do believe that someone looking for a CPO'd S4 in a few years will more likely opt for the one with DAP than the one without it.

Not likely to happen, but: Dealers (of many/all brands) need to offer demonstrations (and "instruction") of the DAP (or whatever it is called, variously) to advance the tech's adoption. I can't believe I'm going to paraphrase Consumer Reports, but they've become one of the most prominent advocates of this tech -- and here's hoping that it's not just the insurance carriers who agree with their assessment.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a list of all of the features for DAP and their respective names?

Last edited by heynowbababooey; 05-12-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: DAP