S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

DAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlewisii
I'm not totally sure if I should revive this thread, or if I should start a new thread, but I searched a little bit and didn't find my answer. Have any of you with DAP had an issue with the car braking when it shouldn't? Basically, when I am in traffic, and the car in front of me goes into the left turn lane and comes to a stop, my car will damn near stop with the car. Even though we are now in two different lanes, my car acts as if the car had stopped directly in front of me. I haven't fully let it come to a complete stop, as I nearly get rear ended, I quickly jam the gas pedal right away to avoid the rear end accident. Is this a normal thing? Is this just a setting that I can adjust?
hmmm - that sounds dangerous.

I am not a good resource to ask as due to an offer I couldn't refuse I have become the recent owner of a new BMW 540i Touring. That said when I tested out the DAP on the BMW and encountered the same situation it behaved as I would expect, therefore assuming Audi and at least as good as BMW with their systems, I think maybe you need to have the setup looked at by a main dealer.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mlewisii
I'm not totally sure if I should revive this thread, or if I should start a new thread, but I searched a little bit and didn't find my answer. Have any of you with DAP had an issue with the car braking when it shouldn't? Basically, when I am in traffic, and the car in front of me goes into the left turn lane and comes to a stop, my car will damn near stop with the car. Even though we are now in two different lanes, my car acts as if the car had stopped directly in front of me. I haven't fully let it come to a complete stop, as I nearly get rear ended, I quickly jam the gas pedal right away to avoid the rear end accident. Is this a normal thing? Is this just a setting that I can adjust?
Yes, it happens to me all the time. You learn to anticipate it and either flick the feature off temporarily or override it with the gas pedal.

I suspect what is happening is your car sees a 100 foot gap between you and the next vehicle, then someone cuts in, and then suddenly the car sees a 20 foot gap at the very next radar ping, and now because the computer that powers DAP saw 100ft at 7:35:04.0005 AM and 20ft at 7:35:04:0006 AM, it thinks you must be traveling towards a stopped vehicle at 60mph.

You can reduce how much the system freaks out by lowering your follow distance setting. This will let cars cut over closer to you without pissing off the computer as much. During some traffic patterns the system is just not great. I am sure it is just a consequence of how new this technology is, similar to how early automatic transmissions were terribly jerky and now we have this butter smooth ZF8 that shifts faster than the SMG did back in the E46 M3.

Give it 10 years. It'll be full blown level 3 automation by then, I'd guess.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Or get a 2018 Leaf, and it will be all smooth - at least is is in mine Great commuting car, and I think the whole electric motor instant torque and smooth regen braking aids smoothness tremendously.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Yes, it happens to me all the time. You learn to anticipate it and either flick the feature off temporarily or override it with the gas pedal.

I suspect what is happening is your car sees a 100 foot gap between you and the next vehicle, then someone cuts in, and then suddenly the car sees a 20 foot gap at the very next radar ping, and now because the computer that powers DAP saw 100ft at 7:35:04.0005 AM and 20ft at 7:35:04:0006 AM, it thinks you must be traveling towards a stopped vehicle at 60mph.

You can reduce how much the system freaks out by lowering your follow distance setting. This will let cars cut over closer to you without pissing off the computer as much. During some traffic patterns the system is just not great. I am sure it is just a consequence of how new this technology is, similar to how early automatic transmissions were terribly jerky and now we have this butter smooth ZF8 that shifts faster than the SMG did back in the E46 M3.

The DAP system seems to have been programmed (sometimes, that is) by a lawyer. It functions with an "abundance" of caution. What you're describing happens to me too. Not often, but it does, my response is to press the accelerator pedal -- which does the trick.

I have my ACC set to "dynamic" (it can be set this way as the default based on the MMI release you're on.)

When all of our cars are equipped with this stuff -- and the stuff is "smarter" than it is, currently -- mixing "man and machine" will be less problematic.

I prefer the abundance of caution -- now that I am used to it, it just doesn't faze me at all.

What I find annoying is the school speed limit sign "slow downs" on a Saturday. You're in a 45 zone, going 50 and the sign recognition sees School Speed Limit 20 and the damn thing scrubs 30MPH from your speed (again easily overridden). It is mostly annoying on weekends; it is a points on your DL protector during the week, however.

These are semi-smart systems -- I mean, it's level two for pity's sake -- I assume it would behave very similarly if it were level three even.

I take the good with the not quite as good -- wouldn't want to give up DAP in any case.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The DAP system seems to have been programmed (sometimes, that is) by a lawyer. It functions with an "abundance" of caution. What you're describing happens to me too. Not often, but it does, my response is to press the accelerator pedal -- which does the trick.

I have my ACC set to "dynamic" (it can be set this way as the default based on the MMI release you're on.)

When all of our cars are equipped with this stuff -- and the stuff is "smarter" than it is, currently -- mixing "man and machine" will be less problematic.

I prefer the abundance of caution -- now that I am used to it, it just doesn't faze me at all.

What I find annoying is the school speed limit sign "slow downs" on a Saturday. You're in a 45 zone, going 50 and the sign recognition sees School Speed Limit 20 and the damn thing scrubs 30MPH from your speed (again easily overridden). It is mostly annoying on weekends; it is a points on your DL protector during the week, however.

These are semi-smart systems -- I mean, it's level two for pity's sake -- I assume it would behave very similarly if it were level three even.

I take the good with the not quite as good -- wouldn't want to give up DAP in any case.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. I now prepare for the sudden braking. I usually only use this when it's just me in the car. It isn't the smoothest system, and tends to make my wife sick. It can be VERY jerky in bumper to bumper traffic. Somewhat on the same topic... Is there a way to lengthen the time for the Automatic Go feature on the ACC? And possibly lengthen the time on the lane keep assist?
Old 09-09-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

My dealer says the current ACC Go does have a parm that can be changed to extend the "go" another 10 seconds, from 3 to 13, that is.

They will NOT change it -- call it "their abundance of caution." Perhaps the change will be included in a future update of the MMI. I wrote to Audi (and they actually called me on the phone to discuss it) and told them I thought 3 seconds was "almost" useless. I suggested 30 seconds. I've timed traffic lights (in greater Cincinnati), 17 seconds would, virtually all of the time, do the job -- assuming there was ONE car (or more) in front of you at a red traffic light.

There must be a reason for 3 seconds. I'd have to assume it is their lawyers (I'm married to one, and they seem to go overboard). I'd take the extra 10 seconds if I could get someone I trusted to make the change.

Mean time . . . it is what it is.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
My dealer says the current ACC Go does have a parm that can be changed to extend the "go" another 10 seconds, from 3 to 13, that is.

They will NOT change it -- call it "their abundance of caution." Perhaps the change will be included in a future update of the MMI. I wrote to Audi (and they actually called me on the phone to discuss it) and told them I thought 3 seconds was "almost" useless. I suggested 30 seconds. I've timed traffic lights (in greater Cincinnati), 17 seconds would, virtually all of the time, do the job -- assuming there was ONE car (or more) in front of you at a red traffic light.

There must be a reason for 3 seconds. I'd have to assume it is their lawyers (I'm married to one, and they seem to go overboard). I'd take the extra 10 seconds if I could get someone I trusted to make the change.

Mean time . . . it is what it is.
I was thinking of why it may be so short, and what I came up with was because of turning lanes. If you are the second car in line in a turn lane (or any car, but second car gives you the shortest reaction time) and not paying attention when the car in front of you turns, you could theoretically drive straight across the intersection at the oncoming traffic. So three seconds would be a COA time out.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Regarding this:

"What I find annoying is the school speed limit sign "slow downs" on a Saturday. You're in a 45 zone, going 50 and the sign recognition sees School Speed Limit 20 and the damn thing scrubs 30MPH from your speed (again easily overridden). It is mostly annoying on weekends; it is a points on your DL protector during the week, however."

I too find this annoying. I know I can increase my speed using cruise control, (an easy touch up on the "stick") but is there any other way to over ride this in the Infotainment System?

Thanks and regards,
Charlie

Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by charliehereforyou
Hi. Regarding this:

"What I find annoying is the school speed limit sign "slow downs" on a Saturday. You're in a 45 zone, going 50 and the sign recognition sees School Speed Limit 20 and the damn thing scrubs 30MPH from your speed (again easily overridden). It is mostly annoying on weekends; it is a points on your DL protector during the week, however."

I too find this annoying. I know I can increase my speed using cruise control, (an easy touch up on the "stick") but is there any other way to over ride this in the Infotainment System?

Thanks and regards,
Charlie
Yes, there’s a checkbox somewhere in Vehicle Settings that will stop it from changing the speed based on road signs. I don’t have the manual handy, but poke around in the “driver assistance” section.