S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dayton Gray on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I went with the Daytona Gray + Red Leather interior (Prestige); I ordered the car, specifically asked to have the summer only tires on the 18" wheels -- the default, when the dealer orders for stock is 18" wheels + A/S tires (at least in this geography); the only other option I selected was the Driver Assistance Package, I would have gone with the torque vectoring diff, but didn't want the adaptive suspension having had one on my last A4 (Prestige). The top view camera + heads up ALONE are worth the price increase on the Prestige model, the fact that you also get the dual pane glass is a plus.

This time, I went with the aluminum interior bits -- I had hoped for the layered look available on the B8, but it will probably not return for a year or two would be my guess.

The red calipers were offered as a stand alone on the Canadian S4's -- and I had thought "how cool" with the red interior. And, for $400, a no brainer. Sometimes bundling works, this time, not so much. I'll just put up with the 2nd class standard torque vectoring instead of the sport diff. Beats what I have now on my '14 S4 (which is no torque vectoring, period).

My wife ended up with the Matador Red with Rotor Gray (SQ5 Prestige) since they no longer offer the red leather for the 2018's; this means she has red + gray and I'll have gray + red. Just turned out that way.

My car arrives 4/25 -- at least that is the latest.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I went with the Daytona Gray + Red Leather interior (Prestige); I ordered the car, specifically asked to have the summer only tires on the 18" wheels -- the default, when the dealer orders for stock is 18" wheels + A/S tires (at least in this geography); the only other option I selected was the Driver Assistance Package, I would have gone with the torque vectoring diff, but didn't want the adaptive suspension having had one on my last A4 (Prestige). The top view camera + heads up ALONE are worth the price increase on the Prestige model, the fact that you also get the dual pane glass is a plus.

This time, I went with the aluminum interior bits -- I had hoped for the layered look available on the B8, but it will probably not return for a year or two would be my guess.

The red calipers were offered as a stand alone on the Canadian S4's -- and I had thought "how cool" with the red interior. And, for $400, a no brainer. Sometimes bundling works, this time, not so much. I'll just put up with the 2nd class standard torque vectoring instead of the sport diff. Beats what I have now on my '14 S4 (which is no torque vectoring, period).

My wife ended up with the Matador Red with Rotor Gray (SQ5 Prestige) since they no longer offer the red leather for the 2018's; this means she has red + gray and I'll have gray + red. Just turned out that way.

My car arrives 4/25 -- at least that is the latest.
I am curious why you did not like the adaptive suspension in your previous Audi. I drove an S5 with the adaptive suspension and thought it was really nice even with the 19" tires. I liked it so much I ordered the car with the sport package and the 19" tires since i think they look better than the 18" rims.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let it affect your decision too much, as stated in his prior reviews markcincinnati had a rougher experience with a previous version of the adaptive suspension and he's justified in not wanting to give it another go. It's a good datapoint, but as with many iterative systems, newer versions sometimes iron out all the shortcoming of their predecessors. For example, there is a lot of gruff about the prior generations of the Dynamic Steering package. Through a lot of research I finally came to the conclusion that the perceived shortcomings of both that and the adaptive suspension have been corrected in the newest generation, and I ordered both on my S4.

Last edited by aj6; 04-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
Don't let it affect your decision too much, as stated in his prior reviews markcincinnati had a rougher experience with a previous version of the adaptive suspension and he's justified in not wanting to give it another go. It's a good datapoint, but as with many iterative systems, newer versions sometimes iron out all the shortcoming of their predecessors. For example, there is a lot of gruff about the prior generations of the Dynamic Steering package. Through a lot of research I finally came to the conclusion that the perceived shortcomings of both that and the adaptive suspension have been corrected in the newest generation, and I ordered both on my S4.
It's too late to affect my decision since I have already placed my order, but even if I could change it, I would leave it alone.

I was really impressed on how nice the adaptive suspension felt with the 19" tire package. I almost went with the 18" because I feared the ride would be really harsh with 35 series tires, but after driving a S5 on 19's and the adaptive suspension on all types of roads, I was sold. Plus in the US, the sport package also added the sport differential and the red painted calipers. That really made it an easy choice to check that box.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which dealer in town took your ACNA discount? Was it the new dealer in Richfield? Did you have to pay anything more to get the car shipped here from the original dealer?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My -- as in personal, not intended to be a caution flag for anyone else -- experiences were with a 2009 A4 Prestige with sport package, dynamic steering and with ADS (Audi Drive Select) which included the COMFORT, AUTO, DYNAMIC and INDIVIDUAL settings for the suspension, steering, engine and transmission. I came away rather unimpressed with the dynamic suspension. I had test driven an Acura product with MagnaRide and that, I think, was a noticeable and impressive system.

Hopefully the sport suspension -- today -- has improved. I did drive a new S3 with the "magnetic ride" option. While I could discern a difference, I mostly thought the switch to dynamic mode, made the S3 feel like a go-cart. On the Interstates surrounding and through Cincinnati, I would probably would not have used dynamic, unless I wanted to give more business to my dentist. Again, personal experience, your mileage may differ.

I also was loaned a new S6 for an overnight test drive -- this one had the air suspension -- I came away impressed by that one, almost as much as the one I mentioned that had been in the Acura MDX (I know, totally different class of vehicle).

The torque vectoring diff (Sport Diff in Audi-speak) was an option box I literally forgot to check when I ordered my 2014 S4. I was pissed at myself for that one. During the last 43 months (the term I have had my S4, for) I have had (as loaners) an S5 and S4 that were equipped with the $1,100 Torque Vectoring differential -- and I had intended to get that option (until I found it was only available in a bundle). The TV differential can be a very noticeable improvement if the S4 will be driven hard and pushed through curvy roads, regularly. I had an Acura TL SH-AWD (which comes with TV and it really needs it) and the impact of TV is, at times, an almost invisible hand (sorry Adam Smith) virtually eradicating understeer from nose heavy cars (like the S4).

Over time, Audi engineers have -- even without the Sport Diff -- reduced understeer and, in the B9 S4 have added "brake based" torque vectoring. This type of TV is an improvement over NOT having any TV, but is more like "Sport-Differential-Lite" -- simply put, if you really want to tackle the twisties at higher speeds, the "real" torque vectoring provide by the rear differential when equipped with the Sport Diff is the way to go.

If, however, you will spend 98% of your driving on Interstates and never track your car, you may not regret not opting for the sport package option. Yet, make no mistake, the sport differential is -- without any hesitation -- almost a miracle bit of engineering.

The wheel and tire issue, on the other hand, I AM willing to suggest is to be avoided -- even though I grant the wheels Audi has selected (or designed) are BEAUTIFUL.

Here is MY reason for arguing against the 19" option: 35 series (aspect ratio) tires.

You can -- hopefully accurately -- argue that infrastructure changes they are a'comin' in the next few years. However, they aren't here yet.

A ride around the 100 mile Cincinnati loop (I-275) is fraught with pot holes sometimes so large that whole families have taken up residence in them. The road (I-71) from Cincinnati to Columbus to Cleveland or from Cincinnati to Louisville is -- sometimes for miles and miles -- an obstacle course of washboard, snow plow damaged and (if I didn't know better) mortar damaged surfaces. If you've ever skied and hit a bunch of moguls -- welcome to I-71 N between Cincinnati and Columbus (about 100 miles).

I drive to Columbus at least once per week.

My 2009 A4 with Sport Suspension and the BEAUTIFUL 19" wheels had, let's see, 5 tires replaced and also suffered a bent wheel (in under 20,000 miles). I actually had my wife drive while I documented the pot holes between these two cities. I foolishly wrote a letter outlining my findings and sent it to the Ohio department of transportation (ODOT).

The reply was "send lawyers guns and money" the s**t has hit the fan" (with thanks to warren Zevon).

Translation "we rely on Federal monies -- and we are spending our monies on one of the largest bridge spans in the US" (which happens to be on I-71 between Cincinnati and Columbus). Again, these are my experiences BUT, 35 series tires typically cost more than 40 series tires, have shorter life spans are much more susceptible to be THE causal factor in wheel damage, have (often) greater road noise and typically are only available in summer only configurations.

On the A4/S4 family of cars -- no footprint increase accompanies the 19" wheel option, what happens is the aspect ratio changes, the tire width remains the same.

We -- here in SW Ohio -- have fairly moderate winters in terms of snow. We do have, generally short-lived, extreme cold (again, for a day or two during winter). We have elected to NOT go with Audi's factory shoes, opting to swap out the OEM tires with Ultra-High Performance All-Season shoes (Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's).

It boggles my mind how, on an S4, Audi chooses to equip the car with H rated Grand Touring tires (softer sidewalls than the UHP A/S's and much softer sidewalls than the summer only rubber Audi chooses) if the S4 is ordered with non-summer-only tires. The A/S option is how most "inventoried" S4's come with. Our Cincinnati dealer says that most customers willing to spend $60,000 or more on a car (in Cincinnati) don't want to swap tires twice per year and don't like the ultra short tread life of Audi's chosen MAX Performance Summer-only rubber (if the All-Season option is not selected, that is).

It's a case of "customer satisfaction." Couple a $60,000+ car with a climate -- check out where Cincinnati is on a map -- that will KILL summer only tires in winter (virtually guaranteed to do so), with an über-short tread life-span, and you have a formula for customer dissatisfaction. Audi dealers (here in our geography) discourage summer only tires (they cautioned me when I ordered my new S4 with the summer tires) for the primary purpose of garnering "repeat customers."

So, I remain steadfast in my opposition to the 19" wheels, despite their beauty, due to the fact that very low profile tires (that are no wider) are mounted on them. The formula provides improved optics and probably marginally improved handling at the limits. But, the formula also provides shorter tread/tire life, increased road noise, a bit rougher ride at speeds below 80-mph, and increased tire and wheel vulnerability if you drive anywhere there has ever been a snow plow (again, check the map of the US -- if you live further south, well "never mind.")

The minor performance improvements are -- for me -- overwhelmed by the negatives and the increased costs that are virtually guaranteed with the 35 series summer only tires.

Yet, I admit I was smitten with the wheels on my "Sline" 19" wheels and tires on my 2009 A4. My wallet lived to regret them.

Your circumstances and/or your geography may differ and you may also not reside in an area of the US where the roads are "third world" quality. If your circumstances are similar to mine, I urge you to consider the benefits vs costs (and annoyance) of the tire/wheel "upgrade" offered by Audi on the S4.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Drive it like you live.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-21-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would prefer not to say which one accepted the discount. I will say that i am paying 500 to have it shipped to me. Which is still a better deal than the 3% and 4% I was offered. They all were straight with me on what they would do and wouldn't do, so it's a few phone calls at most.

Should be here soon

Originally Posted by pwmMpls
Which dealer in town took your ACNA discount? Was it the new dealer in Richfield? Did you have to pay anything more to get the car shipped here from the original dealer?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

According to my dealer's sales manager, "most" Audi dealers accept the ACNA discount document (and honor it). Apparently both Audi and the Dealer participate in the "discount" but the results, generally, are an increase in sales. Dealers "win" in several ways -- when they sell more cars.

Revenue and Income are important of course, but when more cars are sold, MORE CARS are able to be sold in the future. Selling another few cars per month translates to the ability to have greater allocations of cars in the future.

The dealer wins, Audi wins and the customer wins.

Perhaps if a given dealer sees or has seen no advantage in accepting the ACNA program, it makes sense for them to not participate.

It is, however, almost unimaginable that any dealer wouldn't enjoy increased deliveries if they participate in the program. Perhaps if the dealer lives in an area where people will accept a 3% discount as "the best I can do" there would be no advantage to them.

Maybe in Hollywood?

Where is it likely that folks, no matter how flush and no matter how oblivious they might be, still don't want "the best deal possible." The ACNA program does NOT guarantee the lowest price -- but it does, or can, often. That's a pretty nice "perk" for being a subscriber to a magazine of, by and for Audi enthusiasts.

DOH!

Homer out.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
...you may also not reside in an area of the US where the roads are "third world" quality.

Is there a such place left here? We don't have much of a winter here and no snow plows, salted roads, freeze/thaw heave (maybe a LITTLE)... but our roads are horrific.
I nearly chipped a tooth trying to drive the pothole-slalom this week on a tertiary road when I jived instead of juking.
It really pisses me off because I really don't know where the money goes, but it ain't into roadway maintenance.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

More reasons to NOT have ultra-low-profile tires. 40 series is already marginal in that respect, but 35 series is IMHO begging for tire and wheel damage. Now, in a lot of places in Germany, super smooth roads and almost fanatical maintenance are the norm.

Some of the suburbs (around Cincinnati) have good roads, few have very good and fewer still great.

Any further comments I can make have to do with choices of where to spend $2,000,000,000 PER WEEK. The thing is, I don't even know if I know enough to judge if we're "getting out money's" worth -- aside from this forum not being the place to digress so wildly.

My wish, however, would be for our Interstates, highways, roads and streets to be commensurate with our status as THE WORLD'S ONE LONE SUPER-POWER. I'd like to have SUPER-ROADS that is.

Some of my friends who certainly have the means, won't buy "anything nice" (with respect to cars) since they feel our highway infrastructure, simply put, "hurts cars."

My neighbor -- one of the ones with the means -- went from Porsches to Mercedes (he keeps his Merc in the garage 99% of the time) to Hyundai. He drives to Wilmington, OH from Cincinnati everyday -- 40 miles, one-way. Says hurting a $115,000 car (on our roads) is about as smart as using paper currency as kindling for his fireplace.

Whenever we go out as a foursome we take his GMC Yukon -- which is quite nice, although whale-sized. It too can take a lickin' and keep on. . . you know.

Despite all of this bitchin' and moanin', I've thoroughly enjoyed my S4 these past 43 months (18" wheels with Conti Extreme DWS 06's). Had to have a few all-wheel alignments, but otherwise, managed to get out pretty much unscathed.

Forgot to mention -- I had the 19" wheels on my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD "Advance" (Acura's version of Prestige). Bent three of the wheels within the first 15 months (of about 24 months, that I kept it). Acura gave me a 50% "implied warranty" credit for the wheels (which cost a fortune), but I still had to 100% pay for the new tires.

Again, damn lower than needed profile tires -- because "we're all slaves to fashion!" insofar as cars are concerned.

Quick Reply: Dayton Gray on the way!