S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Delayed shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Just drive the thing ALWAYS is "S" mode -- the shift (up) points are executed at higher RPMs -- the appearance of lag is reduced. From my perspective D is disappointing and S is satisfactory. I can't imagine why the transmission is programmed the way that it is. I took an RS5 for an hour-long test drive, and I did try the thing in D. Now THAT's the way the S4 should shift and yes, I know the RS5 has twin turbos whereas the S4 has but one. And, that certainly could be part of the issue with the S (moderate turbo lag). But the torque comes on so quickly (early) in the S, I think we've less of a turbo lag problem than we do a transmission lag issue. S seems to make a huge difference. It's still not the same as the previous gen S4 with the supercharged engine and the 7-speed DSG. But, the 2018 S4 driven EXCLUSIVELY in S is pretty darn good -- I wouldn't want to go back to the 2014, despite what I've said about it.

If you like, enjoy or prefer D, nothing wrong with that, but given what we have to work with, you will probably not be as satisfied with the car when driven in D as in S. If you're open minded enough to try this out, please do so for a full-week and 100% of the time in S (except when backing up).

I remain, often wrong but never uncertain.
This is the first "auto" I've driven in my life. I certainly think "S" mode is a blast, but I intentionally refrain from using it too often as to, a) retain some reasonable fuel efficiently, b) not to exacerbate my propensity to drive too aggressively, and c) to maintain the option of having a higher performance mode (if you drive in "S" all the time, it sort of ruins the specialness...it would be like eating dessert for every meal).
Old 05-28-2020, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carguy19
The fix for this is a 6spd manual or 6/7 speed DSG box... neither of which Audi is willing to do.

I can't stand the automatic transmission in my 18 S4... to the point that I regret getting the car now.
I agree. I wish I had noticed this before I bought mine. Totally regret it.
The following users liked this post:
millersntx (06-08-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ramielrowe
This delay is intentional in S mode. The entire point of S mode is track style driving, where you would be delaying upshifts to keep the engine in the middle rpm range, and you would downshift early under breaking for added stopping power. If you don't want this behavior, you should be driving in D mode. I find in D mode, the transmission is quite aggressive in upshifts, and have never noticed a downshift while slowing down.
This is the right answer in this thread. The shift strategy in sport mode is to accomodate aggressive driving. Drive mode is most likely aiming for best fuel economy. If neither of these work you pop it into manual and do it yourself.