S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Do I need the S package?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by neubs
Isn't not being like this a prerequisite for wanting an S4??
Damn! I could not figure out what you were asking there :-D Any guy or gal can go out and buy an S4 just for the status of owning one. Those who are passionate about driving care about the sporty nature of the S4 and the driving thrills it will bring with all the nice sport stuff. As you said in your post above, "...I'm going to get the S package because if I don't, I'll obsess over what I'm missing... ". You are already acquiring a $60K plus car. You'll regret it if you don't go ahead and get that $2.5k S Sport Pack and make that thing complete.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
You'll regret it if you don't go ahead and get that $2.5k S Sport Pack and make that thing complete.
Agreed - thank you for confirming my suspicions. Waiting on a green one with Sport Pack now and will post pics if I get it.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Agreed - thank you for confirming my suspicions. Waiting on a green one with Sport Pack now and will post pics if I get it.
Why wait? Just place an order with the exact specs.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

​​​​​
If new to Audi and their Sports Differential technology, there's a decent video explaining how it works. I believe it was made to support the release in the B8 model. Anyway, video is below.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Why wait? Just place an order with the exact specs.
I’m still somewhat of a “budget” buyer and can hammer them hard on the lease if the car is on the lot
Old 12-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’m still somewhat of a “budget” buyer and can hammer them hard on the lease if the car is on the lot
I'm sure better can be done, but I custom ordered and got my car at invoice with the buy rate MF assured to me at the time of delivery. Custom ordering doesn't necessarily have to translate into a worse deal.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhawkmd
I'm sure better can be done, but I custom ordered and got my car at invoice with the buy rate MF assured to me at the time of delivery. Custom ordering doesn't necessarily have to translate into a worse deal.
+1. I agree. The deal may not be as sweet as one that is sitting on their lot but it will be good enough especially if it will come with equipment that you want.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's a misconception in my experience. Yes, it is possible that you can get some additional incentives if buying off the lot if the dealer needs to move vehicles, but on the other hand every car on the lot costs the dealer money. They take out loans to buy these cars and have running interest and storage costs. Yes, they do get help from the manufacturers with kickbacks and such so they can move the cars. However, if you order a car the dealership never has to pay interest or storage cost on the car. You take delivery the moment it arrives and pay for it. The lease terms should also be the same as if buying of the lot. The residual and MF are dictated by Audi FS or whoever the lesser is. They don't care if you ordered the car or bought it off the lot and in both cases you can shop around so if the dealership is trying to mark up the MF, go somewhere else.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's a misconception in my experience. Yes, it is possible that you can get some additional incentives if buying off the lot if the dealer needs to move vehicles, but on the other hand every car on the lot costs the dealer money. They take out loans to buy these cars and have running interest and storage costs. Yes, they do get help from the manufacturers with kickbacks and such so they can move the cars. However, if you order a car the dealership never has to pay interest or storage cost on the car. You take delivery the moment it arrives and pay for it. The lease terms should also be the same as if buying of the lot. The residual and MF are dictated by Audi FS or whoever the lesser is. They don't care if you ordered the car or bought it off the lot and in both cases you can shop around so if the dealership is trying to mark up the MF, go somewhere else.
A car sitting on the lot costs more money than one coming over on a ship. That parking real estate has value. The residual and MF are set, exactly right. But, the residual is always applied to the MSRP. Meaning, no matter how you negotiate the actual purchase price of the car, the residual $ value will always be set to 60% of MSRP (which doesn't change). The cap cost in a lease (the holy grail of lease pricing) is based on the price you end up paying for the car. So, every dollar saved in cap cost negotiation directly impacts the amount you owe to Audi over the term of your lease, which divided by 36 (or however many months you lease) is the amount you'll end up saving per month (in most cases, though some states tax leases differently).

All that being said, you'll always be able to negotiate a better price on something that is sitting on a lot over something you special order. That's just simple business.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

costs more to the dealer*

Quick Reply: Do I need the S package?