S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Drive System Malfunction - Auto Start Stop

Old 05-20-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
1) I have never seen a tech do such a thourough write up.
2) I'm glad it was something that seems to have been the actual cause, and they could fiix this. Could have gone waaaaay wrong with that, "we checked it out and found nothing wrong" stuff. You know what I mean.
3) I got a great laugh out of "CUSTOMER REQUESTS NO COMPLIMENTARY CAR WASH." Loved that.
I agree on the write up. Sounds like you have found a good dealer there. Glad the story had a happy ending.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
1) I have never seen a tech do such a thourough write up.
2) I'm glad it was something that seems to have been the actual cause, and they could fiix this. Could have gone waaaaay wrong with that, "we checked it out and found nothing wrong" stuff. You know what I mean.
3) I got a great laugh out of "CUSTOMER REQUESTS NO COMPLIMENTARY CAR WASH." Loved that.
This crew deserves donuts the next time you come back! lol. Loved how detailed they went. It's the kinda of info that becomes forum gold!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they are a very good service crew at Audi St. Paul.

Just got back from a 90 mil fun drive with the local audi club, and all is well.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I require clones of that tech installed at every dealer in the world. Hats off for a great job!
Old 05-22-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibu11et
I require clones of that tech installed at every dealer in the world. Hats off for a great job!
I don't think this issue is unique... so i brought my A6 in for service, and as the S4's were coming off the truck, i asked the tech if they were the 2018 - after a test drive, car sold itself...traded my A6 for S4 on the spot. After paper signing and misc, got in the car to go home, and got this same exact message. Tech found multiple fault codes all of which required the regional tech to visit the dealer. After the visit, it was determined to be a cable which links the trans to the brakes. Needless to say i swapped out for another vehicle. I just learned last week (three weeks later) they finally fixed the issue and sold the car an hour later. on this new car, the fault happened once, but i have been unable to duplicate. It seems if you stop the car, and let the shifter go to park position if in manual mode, this can occur. When it does another symptom is the car will force itself into N, but when you get out and push it clicks into drive. after it drives fine, but an attempt to put into park results in this condition. Moral is be cognisant that perhaps a small population exhibit this behavior.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an S5 Sportback 2018 and I got the same warning message. But the maximum rev was at 3500 not 4500. Car is at the dealer in Montreal trying to figure out the issues. I should some news today.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boueini
I have an S5 Sportback 2018 and I got the same warning message. But the maximum rev was at 3500 not 4500. Car is at the dealer in Montreal trying to figure out the issues. I should some news today.
Wow - be curious to see what it is... Are you able to go to park?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also got the same errors yesterday (Drive System Malfunction, Maximum Engine Speed 3500 rpm, Auto Stop/Start Malfunction), but it went away after I turned the car off and back on. Drove for about 40 miles with no warnings. Then this morning the errors came back. The car has about 3,500 miles on it (2018 S4). I'll be making a service appointment with the dealer, but it looks like I'm not the only one with this issue.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got this error about a week ago at about 6k miles. I was stuck in DC traffic going about 5-30mph for about half hour, so wasn't pushing any limits or anything. Took it to the dealership same day and was told radiator fan is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. I took the pictures of the errors about 15 minutes after I received it, and the temp was at 216 degrees in relatively cool external temperatures.

Let's see what happens. I'll post an update when I get it fixed.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by xtreme571
I got this error about a week ago at about 6k miles. I was stuck in DC traffic going about 5-30mph for about half hour, so wasn't pushing any limits or anything. Took it to the dealership same day and was told radiator fan is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. I took the pictures of the errors about 15 minutes after I received it, and the temp was at 216 degrees in relatively cool external temperatures.

Let's see what happens. I'll post an update when I get it fixed.
My S4 has been in the shop for since Oct 30th because of the same issue. The cooling fan needs to be replaced. I think the problem is running rampant because the part is on backorder (from germany) and wont arrive until after thanksgiving for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction - Auto Start Stop