S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Drive System Malfunction - Auto Start Stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if they have actually fixed this issue for newer cars made later after the incident?
Old 05-12-2018, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 3 screens - They are back

Originally Posted by 2018-Audi-S4
Update: Just picked up my S4 - Dealer had called me to tell me nothing was wrong with the car - I asked him if the mechanic had looked at codes from cooling systems... He said he would call me back. After a 15 minutes or so, he called me back and let me know that indeed there was a tech bulletin from Audi saying a software update to correct a bad "signal" from coolant system should be installed and they were doing now... I want to thank this forum for pointing me in the direction of the coolant systems and thus, I pointed the dealer in that direction. I hope my Drive system: malfunction, start/stop system: malfunction, maximum engine speed 3500 rpm malfunction is behind me.
Well.........

My S4 made it a month without the 3 warning screens. On Wednesday of this week, they happened again - same exact three. I was very close to my home, parked in garage and did nothing. Next morning, went out, started and nothing - no screens. I did get pictures of the 3 screens, sent them to my Audi dealer. Only response from them was - Call and schedule a appointment and we will take a look. To be frank, I don't think the dealers have a clue as to whats going on. I purchased my S4 in March. Few weeks later, I got the 3 screens. Month after they "fixed" it, they are back and I need to book yet another appointment to get it "fixed". -

Any suggestions?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 2018-Audi-S4
Well.........

My S4 made it a month without the 3 warning screens. On Wednesday of this week, they happened again - same exact three. I was very close to my home, parked in garage and did nothing. Next morning, went out, started and nothing - no screens. I did get pictures of the 3 screens, sent them to my Audi dealer. Only response from them was - Call and schedule a appointment and we will take a look. To be frank, I don't think the dealers have a clue as to whats going on. I purchased my S4 in March. Few weeks later, I got the 3 screens. Month after they "fixed" it, they are back and I need to book yet another appointment to get it "fixed". -

Any suggestions?

I picked up my B9 S4 yesterday - Long story short, they replaced my fan motor. Dealer here in Cincinnati said that was what was causing the errors. Now its wait and see if it happens again!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just experienced the same thing with my 2017 A4 with multiple errors popping up (Transmission, Drive System, Vehicle Lights, Safety, Start/Stop Malfunctions along with Max Speed Limit Exceeded). I took my car to the dealership after the errors appeared and they told me the resolution was replacing the battery. After 4 days, the errors pop up again and this time I lost all acceleration to the car. I pulled over and turned the car off, but when I attempted to restart it the engine would not turn over. I waited 30 mins and it finally starts. My car is still in the dealership and they cannot determine what is wrong. Seems like there are many owners experiencing these issues.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blove153
I just experienced the same thing with my 2017 A4 with multiple errors popping up (Transmission, Drive System, Vehicle Lights, Safety, Start/Stop Malfunctions along with Max Speed Limit Exceeded). I took my car to the dealership after the errors appeared and they told me the resolution was replacing the battery. After 4 days, the errors pop up again and this time I lost all acceleration to the car. I pulled over and turned the car off, but when I attempted to restart it the engine would not turn over. I waited 30 mins and it finally starts. My car is still in the dealership and they cannot determine what is wrong. Seems like there are many owners experiencing these issues.
ask them to take a look at the fan control module, that was what ****ed up for me
Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Your dealer will have to scan your car for codes to see the exact cause for the error. Call 'em up and swing by, they can scan for codes in 10 minutes or less as long as there is a tech free to do it. If this is a brand new car like you suggest, I would definitely have them put you up in a like-or-better service loaner as a gesture of good faith -- like another S5, or an A6 maybe -- should they wish to keep the car to take action on whatever codes they find.

The TSB # for the radiator fan issue is 2047707/4. If your car is affected by this issue your dealer will find one or more of these DTC codes stored in the engine control module when they scan it:

DTC P195000 (cooling fan, v7, stiff/blocked)
DTC P10EF00 (restricted function because of radiator fan failure)
DTC B10F000 (restricted function because A/C compressor was switched off by engine)

And then they will replace your radiator fan for free under warranty. The issue is caused by, due to a defect in the fan control module, the ECU detecting a slight voltage drop from the fan during a hot-start and mistakenly thinking the fan is failed (but if you were to look you'd notice the fan is still spinning and works just fine). The ECU restricts the car's RPM as a protection mechanism on assumption that driving it to redline with no cooling fan it would overheat it and cause damage.

(Hey @markcincinatti - I believe you were asking about this too a while ago. Sorry it took so long, I just happened to be sitting next to where I filed this away this morning, finally.)
4,100 miles and got the same errors. Dealer scanned codes and, just like Brian, it was an ECM update under bulletin 2047707/7 with codes P195000 and P10EF00. I hope the error doesn’t return.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Adding in a vote for the same issue at 5312 miles.

Hoping and praying it's the issues already reported. On a side note. Does anyone have any advice for getting a loaner if necessary?
The dealer I go to for casual service is 30+ minutes away and I only use the 1.5 mile-away dealer if absolutely necessary.
I've never had a warranty repair for either of my Audis.
Is a loaner car (if necessary) a given for warranty repairs?
For Audi Care maintenance the good dealer assumes you'll be taking a loaner car and basically gives the keys when you pull in and you're out in 5 minutes.
This dealer asks what you're going to do with it, why you need one, will you take a bus pass (seriously), etc.

I'd like to be able to (politely) say I'm entitled to a loaner car.

Last edited by Tim Pryor; 11-27-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh

damn it! Had my B9S4 since April 2017 and I barely hit 5,000 mile lol (in the navy so im always out at sea) so today I was blessed with the drive select malfunction, 3,500 rev limit and start stop bs! It happened from when I was driving with comfort selected (which I haven’t done since today), parked then shifted to drive once my passenger got out of the car... not even 15 seconds later I get the warning.

First thing I did when I got home was search on google to see if was a common issue... I guess it is. I checked the connector to the cam shaft sensor and it was slightly backed out from the jack. I’ll see what happens when I drive her to work this morning. Hope it fixes the issue, I don’t feel like leaving my ride in the shop!
Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I took mine in 2x for this issue, first time they did an update, 2nd time they swapped the fan controller which required them to tear the whole thing apart (in the front)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so far so good

we'll I guess that semi loose connection was the problem.... no malfunction on my way to work. hope it stays that way.

Quick Reply: Drive System Malfunction - Auto Start Stop