S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Driver Assistance Package and Other Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"What does the graphic of three cars overlaying each other actually signify? If the car says, Traffic Jam . . . yet there is no analog in the owner's manual, where can you go to find the answers?"
If you can find or already do have the "2018 A5|S5 Quick Question & Answers" brochure? ( I have it as a .PDF from the innerwebs...) the last page shows all the icons with this as "Congestion Assist" , fancy!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I found a home made youtube video that is a step in the direction I was suggesting earlier:

Old 05-11-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I invite anyone who gets this far in this thread to read today's Wall Street Journal:

"Your new car's best tech feature may be the system off button"

Front page.

BMW management must've cringed upon reading this.

The problem is, there is truth in the article.

For me the truth is that the new car owner needs hours of training to really get the most out of the systems (such as Driver Assist).

Here's what pisses me off: The car keeps "revealing" new capabilities and features -- and when I go to the owner's manual, I can't find (in the index) things like "Traffic Jam Assist" or what a series of graphical displays means. I assume the manual was translated from German to English and something was lost in the translation.

I keep finding myself going to YouTube for "hints" at what some of this tech means and how to get the most out of it.

I actually read the manual -- I use it as a reference, so far, DAILY. Yet, I am still unable to find EVERYTHING this wonderful technology is capable of doing or why or when it is most effective.

Let me give you an example: On Interstate 275 in northern Cincinnati, the lane keeping assist feature, will, at times, seem to want to crash the car into the guard rail on the right side of the 6 lane highway. Other times, on a curvy road, the car PERFECTLY steers through two sweeping curves, one right followed by one left.

I "assume" the car's cameras are having some difficulty in reading the "painted lines" on the Interstate (which, admittedly, are faded), while the lines on the curvy road are new and perfectly opaque.

But, finding out why this is so, FOR SURE, is elusive. Also, when the screen in front of me says Traffic Jam Assist now active, the car virtually drives itself perfectly. The Traffic Jam Assist happens on Interstate 275 on my commute home which is "a parking lot" unlike the traffic conditions on my way INTO work.

What does the graphic of three cars overlaying each other actually signify? If the car says, Traffic Jam . . . yet there is no analog in the owner's manual, where can you go to find the answers?

There are buttons on the end of the light switch and the cruise control that cause the automatic cruise control and lane keeping assist to turn on -- during my initial training when the car was delivered, these buttons and their function did not come up, and I would say the "delivery" of the car was a multiple hour event. The thing is, there are just so many features and functions it is perhaps too much for just ONE delivery.

Of course my dealer invited me back for additional training.

I had to look up how to turn on the automatic headlight dimming feature.

I do not have any problem looking this stuff up -- it would seem that the option should have a DVD class with chapters that discuss each feature alone and how they interact when used simultaneously.

Pre sense basic, pre sense rear, etc, etc. Where is there a CLEAR explanation of EACH of these "senses" followed by a demonstration of how these senses work interactively and in combination with audi side assist. In other words "here are the building blocs, here are these blocs combined and here is how all of this stuff CAN (and/or will) work in an integrated fashion to produce a synergistic effect that provides a "safety bubble" around the car. Where is this stuff all organized so that we can read, review, understand and internalize it?

Here is what I am finding: The available explanations afforded by the owner's manual are rather like a dictionary. All the words are there to write the next great novel -- but you have to assemble them yourself. It is accurate to say that "War and Peace" actually is in the dictionary -- if you know how to assemble the words.

Also, I've had to find videos, etc, NOT pertaining to the S4 (or even an A4), rather I've had to, again, cobble together YouTube presentations on Q7's, A8's, etc. to actually pull together a somewhat complete overview of all of the marvelous technology that comes with the car when equipped with the Driver Assistance Package.

Remember, between my wife and me, we've had about 30 Audis starting in 1977. I got my introduction to MMI in 2004 when I took delivery of my 2005 Audi A6 which was fully optioned, followed by a 2009 A4 Prestige also fully optioned including Audi Drive Select and the dynamic steering, etc. My P+2014 S4 with the MMI/Nav package, too, provided incremental additions of tech.

Yet the 2018 S4 has taken a technical and technological leap akin to going from a Motorola Flip Phone to a Blackberry with email to an Apple iPhone 6S all in one fell swoop.

There needs to be "classes" to help us maximize the benefits available with these transformative technologies.

When we bought my wife's X3 over 10-years ago, the BMW store gave us a schedule for evening classes (including food and drink) to help us maximize the value that the BMW tech offered owners. Ten years ago.

I can't even find why a command I have been using FOR YEARS no longer functions and what the analog is in the 2018. As I am driving along, I have been used to saying "Zoom in" or "Zoom out" and seeing the map screen increase or decrease the scale it was showing. When I say "Zoom in" now, the MMI attempts to make a phone call or initiates a hunt for "zoom" apparently. The Zoom map function has been a feature since 2004 -- what is the analog today, "Enlarge"? Beats the crap out of me.

I can't pull over every time I want to interact with the technology -- and I am one of those **** types who literally reads the damn manual, plus my entire career has been in technology and continues in the field today.

I figure if I'm a rapid study and I work at it and I'm having some difficulty (some, not a lot), others must be virtually oblivious and frustrated with all of the car's features.

A person I work with got a new Lexus for his wife -- got a subscription to Sirius XM, etc -- now, a year later, told me his wife has never even turned on sat radio because she can't figure out how to make it work. The nav system? Fughettaboudit.

This is not intended to suggest anything due to gender either. My wife has an MBA and a JD and is in many ways brilliant. She NEVER uses so many features in her 2014 Audi SQ5 Prestige, it is scary. Her favorite feature is the heated and cooled cup holder -- and, of course, the new 2018 SQ5 Prestige she ordered no longer comes with or offers this feature. She did get the heated steering wheel and I understand there is a button on the steering wheel that turns the heat on or off -- now that's easy to understand.

The point is, we are coming to a point that is more than a little bit like taking flying lessons (my wife got her pilot's license at age 15, before her driver's license); we need to be "licensed" to use the technology that is being pushed into virtually all classes of cars. The "avionics" in this new Audi are just the beginning, kind of like the Amazon Echo -- new features and capabilities are added EVERY Friday.

We should be required not only to get a driver's license but to be licensed to use the technology that has the potential to make driving safer and more pleasurable.

By the way, despite what you may think considering my obvious frustration (and concern) with this new technology, I am 100% in favor of it AND I love it!

If you get one of these cars, make TRAINING, part of your deal -- get it in writing.

Think of this like you're buying a new Gulfstream Jet -- you wouldn't expect the company to sell you the plane without showing you how the avionics work, same goes with this new technological leap, the 2018 S4 Prestige with Driver Assistance Package.
Agreed & on multiple things.

The tech in cars is getting to a point where it's a distraction.

Another is the VC. The majority of the time, no one is going to toggle their VC they are going to pick the one they like and lock it in. Therefore that's basically not worth the $$. The bigger screen most likely could be an aftermarket swap. The MMI, been reading reviews that the majority don't even use the handwriting thing.

In regards to usability.

The issue with most companies is that the tech is designed by engineers vs designers & then getting the user to understand how to work it in itself is a problem. The way a technical/engineer type thinks IS NOT remotely close to an everyday user.

It's a big reason why Apple is so successful vs say the more tech user companies like Samsung. Apple is based on the user experience and someone who wants it to just make sense/be intuitive.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You know, I am only at day 10 with my S4, so, my thoughts are likely to be more susceptible to change. By day 90, I'm not likely to change my machine/human interface as much.

That prelude is to say I find the ability to write on a disk kind of cool, kind of novel, but not as practical as speaking a command -- or even spelling it, should that become necessary -- or touching a screen.

There may be legions of folks who just love writing cursive on their MMI *****, I'm already thinking "I'm over it," the thrill is gone as you know who (BBK) once said.

I miss some voice commands and love the fact that there are some new ones. I rarely have to repeat anything, the recognition ability is very good, perhaps excellent.

I would, however, rather have MORE "stuff" that I could say. And, I'd like it to be as Alexa like as possible -- and even Alexa needs to get better (but in the 5 months that I've had my Amazon Echo, I can tell you Alexa is damn near amazing.)

I've added the ability to control my house's lighting, added the ability to order a Pizza and help me cook meals and so on and on. Apps that can help me with Alexa seem to come along WEEKLY.

Audi (and the other's too) need to allow me to poke at screens and speak "naturally" -- writing with my finger on a little disc . . . not so much.

The fact that this tech apparently is there for the buying makes me feel certain, "it will come," but some of this stuff (like all of the colors that I can set the interior lighting of my car) are primarily there, I think, "because they can" (and most of the stuff is really cheap to implement at this point.)

Overall, I'm very very happy and pleased with the 2018 S4 Prestige with Driver Assistance. Someone needs to rent or hire one of the brilliant minds from Apple to, as you say, make the thing work even more intuitively. Or even a little intuitively -- wouldn't that be nice?

I pity the person with a 2009 CTS who comes in for a test drive and can't figure out what 2/3rds of the stuff the car is capable of (or more.)

I'm the guy who reads the manual, who hunts for the umpteenth version of the HOW TO video on YouTube and who sits in his driveway with the owner's manual in my lap while I try to figure out what "this button does" and why my car was set to KPH and how to get it to MPH, etc, etc.

Maybe y'all here on AudiWorld do what I do, but in my experience folks simply don't use the owner's manual unless they absolutely have to.

Ever seen an owners manual with a cracked spine? I haven't either.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

but in my experience folks simply don't use the owner's manual unless they absolutely have to.
Hell, I'd say they don't use ANY manual unless they absolutely have to - and even then probably not.

I know it cannot always hold true, but in my career of writing and architecting software, I've told many clients (about a manual), "If you need a manual for my software, I didn't do something right."
Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Talbot, that may be true -- the thing is not so much about the software as the hardware you have to use to activate the software.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sure. A fine point, indeed.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the addition of driver assist eliminate driving/fog lights? It appears the sensors are in the place of fog lights. I'd rather have lights and steer it myself. I enjoy driving my car.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TPOP
did the addition of driver assist eliminate driving/fog lights? It appears the sensors are in the place of fog lights. I'd rather have lights and steer it myself. I enjoy driving my car.
The "fog lights" are now part of the main headlight assembly.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe y'all here on AudiWorld do what I do, but in my experience folks simply don't use the owner's manual unless they absolutely have to.

Ever seen an owners manual with a cracked spine? I haven't either.
Being a pilot type, memorizing tech-heavy manuals is just a part of my life, so I'm likely a peculiar outlier in that regard. For instance, I don't even have the car yet (B9 S4 Prestige with all the extra goodies), but I have been reading the manual online using a borrowed VIN# for the last few weeks. I have to agree with your earlier assessment: the manual is very light on details. And it seems some features/systems I have been curious about are omitted entirely. Want to know what all the features in your MMI do? Nope, sorry. At a minimum, every aircraft I have flown will have detailed manuals just for the avionics, going page by page through all the menu displays with explanations for every function. Admittedly, the price tag for my aircraft is an absurd $600M (not K), so that does drive some differences, but c'mon Audi, throw us a bone.

I wonder if the German manuals are more in depth, and us 'Mericans get the dumbed down version from their undermanned translation department. My current DD is a German-spec BMW and the glove box manual is fantastic, although I have to sit there with Google Translate to understand it.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 05-12-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Driver Assistance Package and Other Impressions