S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Driver Assistance Package and Other Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
S4's are equipped with sport suspensions. The literature on the cars says the "S" cars come with special "S" calibrations. I always have assumed that meant that the "S" cars' springs are stiffer and the dampers are "calibrated" with higher capacity and stronger "hydraulics." "S" cars sit lower, presumably lower even than the sport option on the non-S cars. So, you could have an A4 -- without sport suspension, an A4 -- with sport suspension and an S4. Each of these cars has a different ride height, the S4 would have the lowest.

The adjustable suspension, I am led to believe, retains the "S" calibration and replaces the S4's "dynamic" dampers with adjustable dampers. The adjustable suspension allows the driver to set the dampers: comfort, auto, dynamic. The differences relate to how quickly the damper permits the compression and, primarily, decompression of the spring. Think of it as "tensing" your muscles (like the Hulk when he is obviously pissed at a foe).

The adjustable dampers, left in auto mode, presumable will vary their range of "stiffness" between comfort and dynamic. When I had mine, on an A4 with the sport package, I typically kept the setting at dynamic, then on an Interstate marathon trip, I would set it to comfort.

The differences were noticeable if not substantially different. I took several test drives of an S3 with the magnetic shocks option and found dynamic to transform the S3 into a car that felt like a go-kart. It was, in that mode, "darty," not a compliment.

Presumably the 2018 S4 has "new" tuning of the suspension to make it both able to provide more control AND greater compliance. I notice that in comparison to my 2014 S4, the 2018 is able to take washboard roads, and especially curves that have become washboarded over time, with much greater control. The 2014 S4 felt much stiffer than the 2018. The 2014 in comparison was almost harsh. The 2018 somehow manages greater control with improved smoothness.

The net or bottom line for ME was that the 2018 sport suspension would probably be left in auto mode and would little change my enjoyment of the S4, since I drive, mostly, near where I live. I live within the 100 mile Interstate bypass highway that circles the big town (or small city) of Cincinnati. I drive, therefore on Interstates: I-71, I-75, I-275 and I-471. They are in such repair, I liken them to "driving on the moon," they are so cratered with pot-holes and poorly rendered "fixes" and expansion joints that have become gnarled with age. Plus they are often so crowded, 20MPH is a speed to be lusted after.

Then, I exit the Interstate du jour and drive on primary highways (which are generally in better condition, moon crater wise, and "surface streets" also in fairly good condition, with a few pot holes of epic proportions.)

I have my secret "back roads" that have, mostly, somehow managed to avoid becoming pock marked. These are the roads where 2nd gear acceleration and paddle shifting is "fun fun fun, until daddy takes my T-bird away." These secret roads, alas, are becoming increasingly crowded with other drivers who, unlike me, don't find a curve marked "15MPH" as a challenge worthy of trying to take it at 45MPH -- party poopers.

So here I am, often alone, in a 2018 S4 with prodigious accelerative and cornering capabilities only able to exercise them "occasionally" -- which does, of course, lead to some frustration and ennui. I often think, "If I had an RS4 or RS5, I'd require therapy," I'd have so many frustrations, "pent up demand" and the "need for speed," it would be damn near unbearable.

Frankly, many of these same emotions and sensations accompany my daily drives in but a lowly S4. I can, on Interstates, sometimes, reach triple digit speeds -- when I'm in the middle of nowhere (a place that is becoming increasingly hard to locate.) Most of the time, I feel like Clark Kent, unable to fly without giving away the big secret. An S4 is more capable than the majority of cars -- but you already knew that.

What is really more accurate is that an S4 is more capable than ALL but a few cars that are rarely encountered at least on my weekly driving. Yesterday I did come across what I believe was a BMW M2, or perhaps a bit older M3 (2-door), it had an exhaust system, however, that made it sound like one of those big-*** muffler/tailpipe contraptions I see and hear sometimes on de-badged Honda Civics that have wings on the trunk almost the same size as the rest of the car. I chased it for several miles on I-71 and the only reason I stopped was the ease I had pacing this noisy machine. I also had some fun keeping up with a Mercedes C class (4-door sedan) which had the AMG treatment.

Perhaps both of these cars could have pulled away from my lowly S4, but doing so would have pushed our driving from "rude" to risky (on Interstate-71). I'm not willing to get to risky business insofar as it would or could involve others.

So, I remain, mostly, in Clark Kent mode in an S4. It's enough, sometimes, to make me wonder why I just didn't go for a fully optioned A4 Prestige. Ok, maybe "rarely" instead of "sometimes." The point is, the S4 is supremely capable and, as the saying goes, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I do wish Audi would've let me buy the red brake calipers -- I'm scheming to do this now.

Love this car. Frustrated by traffic. Makes those secret roads all the more precious.
I lived in Cincinnati many....many....years ago okay, early 70s. That is when I got my first motorcycle. Lots of fun roads in essentially suburbs out around Indian Hill (we lived in Kenwood). I'm sure things have changed a lot, but there are lots of fun roads. I recall many north of 275/west of 75. Just be thankful you don't live in Houston. I actually do hunt down curves every Saturday and Sunday on my bikes. I've had several Corvettes, my last a 2009 Z06. Yes, I understand pent up frustration.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I think 80mph is our highest traffic sign? Unfortunate, when the car can easily go double that.
We do have 85 MPH highways in TX...MO had "reasonable and prudent" a while back
Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Digging up an older thread, but it's the only one I found searching for a dedicated Driver Assistance (DAP) discussion.

I recently drove a couple hours from my home to Stuttgart, Germany for my first true "long range" test of the automated systems. Simply life-changing. It was a thrill to set Adaptive Cruise Control, activate Lane Assist, and just rest my hand on the wheel as it practically drove itself through and in and out of traffic jams. I was surprised the cruise control will only allow you to set up to 150kph. When I wanted to drive 200kph (or higher) on unrestricted parts of the autobahn I had to do manual pedal.

I was impressed how smoothly it would follow the car in front of me, from 0 to 150kph. I found I needed to set the follow interval to the shortest, otherwise most cars would jump into my following distance, but when they did the car reacted smoothly. The only times the system had some difficulty was through construction areas where barriers were placed too close to the lines, or the lines would switch from white (permanent) to yellow (temporary), and the system wasn't sure which lines to follow. I think heavy rain, creating a glass-like surface, would also be difficult for the system but I haven't experienced that yet. You can easily override the system by just handling the steering wheel.

This isn't Tesla-level automation, but still very enjoyable and confidence-inducing. Honestly, though, I am not looking forward to the day of completely autonomous cars, and as manufacturers are finding out, the level of dynamic problem-solving needed for 100% automation is so difficult it may be out of reach. The Level II on these cars is the right balance of automation for comfort, while keeping the driver sufficiently engaged and aware.

Switching gears a bit towards the philosophical side of DAP and future DAP systems.

After 24 years of flying aircraft (which many people today apparently think fly themselves... they don't), and an aeronautical Masters Degree focusing on human-machine interaction and cognition, especially in automated systems, I have come down pretty hard on the conclusion that automating things just because we can isn't necessarily the optimum approach. What I have found is a balance should be struck between automating a system and engaging the operator, providing sensory information in a manner best suited for human perception and decision-making. With the right mix, people can feel super-human operating these systems and actually enjoy the operation rather than "tuning out." Think Tony Stark's Iron Man suit. (Preface: I know this is science fiction, but that's where innovation begins) He can remotely control other suits to perform things, you bet, and that is useful. But if you don't think it would be a thrill to jump into an Iron Man suit and take it for a joy ride you are kidding yourself. Even our modern day Air Force "drones" are not completely automated. This comes as a shock to some people, but every "drone" the news outlets talk about are being operated the entire time under positive control of humans via satellite link (once out of radio range of the launch and recovery element or LRE).

Cars can and will be taken to a higher degree of automation, I realize that. However I believe full automation will only be possible under certain circumstances. What I can see happening is laws and legislation eventually being passed that require two levels of certification: one for the car, and one for the area being driven (possibly a third for the driver, but less likely to happen). The car must possess the required level of automated systems. The car may then only be driven autonomously in designated zones (enforced by GPS) that have been fully prepared for automated driving. This means painted lines (or future methods) strictly enforced, road construction markings would have strict standards and methods compatible with automated sensory systems. Basically the entire zone would have to be held to high standards to mitigate failures in the network of automated systems.

Where things get extra murky is programming the car for "no win" crash dilemmas or scenarios, where the car must decide between colliding with people outside the car, or risking the lives of the car's occupants. If a driver is totally "checked out" (sleeping, reading, or most likely heads down on a mobile device), then the outcome rests solely on the programmed systems, and the maintenance level of the systems (are they working properly? are they damaged? this is an entirely different can of worms).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2017/05/08/urmson-on-driverless-cars/#1a77d5f547c9

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patricklin/2017/04/05/heres-how-tesla-solves-a-self-driving-crash-dilemma/#7997d4b76813

Tesla and Chris Urmson seem optimistic they can solve all these problems, but then again they have to be for their share-holders. This body of work will sure be interesting to follow over the coming years. I'm rooting for all involved to get it right, but I'm sure there will be many bumps and bruises (and worse) along the way.

For now, I'm content to keep my hand on the wheel when my car is doing most of the work.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

After reading about Audi's approach to "level 3" auto-pilot automation -- coming in the new A8 and then A6 -- the criticisms I have of "Automatic Go" and "Traffic Jam Assist" are almost entirely addressed. Personally, I would find Audi's Level III to be where I'd want my car to be. Check it out. Audi A8 "Traffic Jam Pilot" -- articles all over the Internet.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I dont kno. In my opinion. (Hey you asked) Buying a driver’s car like any Audi S or RS model, then actually paying extra for nannies that we’ll all be forced to have in the very near future doesn’t seem right.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Eli, although I use ACC literally every day, I don't use it all of the time. When I am able to "play" I do not use it or lane keeping assist. The only thing I do always is drive in "S" mode -- unfortunately, even in Cincinnati, traffic has increased (on the Interstates I use to go to and from the office) to the point of being best described as "constipated." I drive east on I-275N of Cincinnati for about 15 miles on my commute home. The first 11 miles are often taken at single-digit speeds. I set traffic jam assist, keep my hand on the steering wheel, turn on an audiobook and putt-putt along for what seems like an eternity. Such is life.

An S4, under these circumstances, is massive over-kill. Even the few times when I can "let loose the hounds" the traffic is always at least a minor consideration. My dealer's sales rep remarked that the traffic in Cincinnati could depress the sales of the upcoming RS 5, but that availability of the car will be relatively constrained (artificially) to assure these cars won't sit around awaiting a home. If the S4 is massive over-kill an RS 5 will be what "super-massive-overkill?"

An RSQ5 is looking better all of the time. Yet, even that is stupid over-kill.