S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dynamic Engine Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is great hearing from people that actually own the car (double points for those that have had a B8 as well). After reading more, I am starting to lean towards there being something actually wrong w/ the transmission. The car had a few hundred miles on it, but I think those were test-drive miles from the get go, which is not the way I would treat MY car! I wish I could spend a week with one... A week w/ the A4 was enough to realize what a big jump the B8 to B9 platform is (especially MMI).
Old 12-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bl0rq
It is great hearing from people that actually own the car (double points for those that have had a B8 as well). After reading more, I am starting to lean towards there being something actually wrong w/ the transmission. The car had a few hundred miles on it, but I think those were test-drive miles from the get go, which is not the way I would treat MY car! I wish I could spend a week with one... A week w/ the A4 was enough to realize what a big jump the B8 to B9 platform is (especially MMI).

well ive seen the way people drive those cars on test drives. I’ve seen how salesmen drive them. I didn’t hesitate to wait 3 months on my order LOL! I wish I would have driven a b8 with the DSG but I was such a hard *** about owning a manual. I’m sure it was like the S3, which is nothing short of awesome. I like the punch each gear gave in the dsg.... but smooth has seem to have won me over with the ZF. Also It seems after break in that the 9 woke up a little more. The car really is awesome.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Dynamic Engine Sound = less fuel efficient?

Does anyone know if putting the engine sound in dynamic mode in the individual drive mode makes the car less "fuel efficient?" In other words, all other settings are set to comfort, but engine sound is on dynamic, would that give the same gas mileage as if you were in the comfort setting?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

The forum is always good to answer my burning questions on my new A5 coupe. Well the one certain thing I learned is engine sound is not amplified and punched up by the regular speakers in the car like my previous BMW. Instead it uses an independent speaker module in the engine against the firewall. Well at this point, might as well turn off the sound and enjoy all the vibrating and buzzing interior panels in my car.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bgserve
Does anyone know if putting the engine sound in dynamic mode in the individual drive mode makes the car less "fuel efficient?" In other words, all other settings are set to comfort, but engine sound is on dynamic, would that give the same gas mileage as if you were in the comfort setting?
Anything that uses "active" energy probably could use a drop more gas here and there. I suspect the sound setting causes virtually undetectable fuel consumption changes. An underinflated tire one would think, would use more fuel than a "megaphone" being turned on.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by caranddriver
The forum is always good to answer my burning questions on my new A5 coupe. Well the one certain thing I learned is engine sound is not amplified and punched up by the regular speakers in the car like my previous BMW. Instead it uses an independent speaker module in the engine against the firewall. Well at this point, might as well turn off the sound and enjoy all the vibrating and buzzing interior panels in my car.
I think you are mistaken about the sound from your BMW. That is 100% faked. You could even code in M sound into a 328 until recent years (now it's locked to match the engine installed, or just off).