S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dynamic S mode vs Dynamic Manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic S mode vs Dynamic Manual mode

Hi all!

I usually drive in Dynamic Manual mode. But I keep reading that the car's throttle and transmission response is sportier while in "S" mode.

So, my question is, am I missing anything driving in Dynamic Manual mode versus Dynamic S mode? I really like full control of the gears, so it'd be a shame if I'm missing some "sportiness" of the car by not driving it in "S" mode.

Cheers all
Old 08-25-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think there's a difference in S and Manual mode. S mode keeps the gear one short of D, where in M you pick the gear you want to be in. You can try it out going from a stop. S and M mode feel the same as far as throttle response goes.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I have:

D for "Dawdling"
S for "Sporty"
M for "My way, because I'm smarter if I think about it".

I have found that on my drive to work, "M" enables me to get marginally better gas mileage, because I can upshift sooner, feather the throttle, and coast through the stalls - if I think about it.

But it also enables me to read the road ahead and know what I want to do when I'm driving enthusiastically.

Never having to wait for the gearbox to realize I need a lower gear is so much more rewarding and facilitates smooth progress.

After all, that's what that big RPM dial is meant for, right?
Old 08-25-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Manual mode only tells the TCU that you want to shift the gears yourself, so yes there is a difference depending on whether you go P -> D -> M or P -> D -> S -> M.

You will get a different throttle response in manual mode depending on if you switch from D to M or from S to M.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have to admit I'm a little confused as well. How does throttle response and shift timing vary between having the car in (a) dynamic, (b) S-mode, and (c) dynamic and s mode together, when letting the car do the shifting?

OK, I think I figured it out. Seems like s mode and dynamic mode are the same in terms of transmission response at least..not sure about throttle response but assume the same there as well. Dynamic affects other settings (like suspension) that presumably are not affected when you change to s mode

Last edited by cpippolo; 08-26-2017 at 12:56 PM.