AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/)
-   -   Dynamic Steering Option (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b9-platform-discussion-214/dynamic-steering-option-3068130/)

Jeffc 03-07-2024 10:11 AM

Dynamic Steering Option

I'm shopping for a new S4. There aren't any currently available with Dynamic Steering. I read about DS in the Q5 Platform discussions. Can someone describe how it feels on the S4? Would it be worth the wait if I had to order one with that option?

superswiss 03-07-2024 01:25 PM

Search my many posts on Dynamic Steering. I linked one below. As I said there, I used to like it in my '13 RS5. Partly because Audi's steering is fundamentally numb and the Dynamic Steering gave it more life. However, the constantly changing ratio wasn't good in retrospect. Going from Comfort to Auto to Dynamic is jarring, because the steering response changes. So you constantly have to adjust if you go between modes. In the RS5 the steering ratio stayed constant in Dynamic mode with a nice direct ratio, so that was great for canyon carving, but for the most part I just left it in Auto combined with the sport differential in Dynamic. It was nice for low speed maneuvers in parking lots, but my opinion now is that a changing ratio based on the speed of the car is the wrong way to do it. It makes the steering rather unpredictable.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ering-3034226/

Zombie5150 03-07-2024 01:35 PM

I responded to your post on the other forum. Here’s what my opinion was on it.

I had a ‘21 SQ5 without it and my ‘22 RS5 has it. I actually specifically ordered the car with it. Reason being is I wanted to try it, I wanted the car with every option and because the sales manager tried to talk me out of it, lol. His reasoning was that they never order a car with it and that I wouldn’t notice a difference. Well, since owning the car now for a year and a half I really like it. Makes slow speed maneuvering a bit easier and I feel a little more connected at higher speeds on windier roads. Just my opinion on it. Is it worth the extra cost? Mine was $1,200 so yes I think it’s worth it. Is it worth waiting for vs. a car on the lot? I don’t think so. Yes I’d get it again but wouldn’t wait for a car just to have it. My .02.

Jeffc 03-07-2024 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 25891231)
Search my many posts on Dynamic Steering. I linked one below. As I said there, I used to like it in my '13 RS5. Partly because Audi's steering is fundamentally numb and the Dynamic Steering gave it more life. However, the constantly changing ratio wasn't good in retrospect. Going from Comfort to Auto to Dynamic is jarring, because the steering response changes. So you constantly have to adjust if you go between modes. In the RS5 the steering ratio stayed constant in Dynamic mode with a nice direct ratio, so that was great for canyon carving, but for the most part I just left it in Auto combined with the sport differential in Dynamic. It was nice for low speed maneuvers in parking lots, but my opinion now is that a changing ratio based on the speed of the car is the wrong way to do it. It makes the steering rather unpredictable.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ering-3034226/

Thanks. That is about what I expected. I like being able to adjust the weight of the steering from Comfort to Dynamic, but I don't think want I'd want a steering system where it changes ratios and even counter-steers for me. I liked the S4's steering when I did the test drive, except it is a little light even in Dynamic. I'll leave Dynamic Steering off of the order form.

Jeffc 03-08-2024 09:39 AM

I found lots of opinions on various forums, pro and con. I ordered it with the DS option. Thanks for the responses.

superswiss 03-08-2024 09:56 AM

Yeah, it's kinda difficult to say one way or the other. I'm not sure what I'd do if I got another Audi. It is somewhat telling that Audi chose to make the ratio fixed in Dynamic mode and pretty much all journalist hated it. There are good things and bad things about it and it kinda depends on what kind of driving you do. It's nice for daily maneuvering, but the mid corner corrections it frequently took were distracting. At the end of the day the DS and the Sport Differential are attempts by the Audi engineers to compensate for the inherent flaws of the chassis and the engine hanging out in front of the front axle. It helps, but the rotation is also artificial as a result.

Jeffc 03-08-2024 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss (Post 25891433)
Yeah, it's kinda difficult to say one way or the other. I'm not sure what I'd do if I got another Audi. It is somewhat telling that Audi chose to make the ratio fixed in Dynamic mode and pretty much all journalist hated it. There are good things and bad things about it and it kinda depends on what kind of driving you do. It's nice for daily maneuvering, but the mid corner corrections it frequently took were distracting. At the end of the day the DS and the Sport Differential are attempts by the Audi engineers to compensate for the inherent flaws of the chassis and the engine hanging out in front of the front axle. It helps, but the rotation is also artificial as a result.

Mid-corner corrections! Can you elaborate about those corrections during both high speed and low speed cornering? What is it that you notice?
I like the idea that the steering gets heavier and slower at highway speeds, but I probably don't really need any improvement there. All my Audis (without DS) have tracked straight down the highway without needing much correction.
If the steering gets light and quick at low speeds for parking, is it too light and quick in low-speed but tight cornering?

The main issue I have with the standard steering is that it might be too light at mid to high speeds. I've thrown the loaner around some lower speed corners in town, but I haven't tried getting very aggressive on an entrance ramp. That wouldn't be a good idea on summer tires in the mid-west winter.

More details in specific situations, please. I can still delete it from my order.

Jeffc 03-08-2024 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zombie5150 (Post 25891238)
I responded to your post on the other forum. Here’s what my opinion was on it.

I had a ‘21 SQ5 without it and my ‘22 RS5 has it. I actually specifically ordered the car with it. Reason being is I wanted to try it, I wanted the car with every option and because the sales manager tried to talk me out of it, lol. His reasoning was that they never order a car with it and that I wouldn’t notice a difference. Well, since owning the car now for a year and a half I really like it. Makes slow speed maneuvering a bit easier and I feel a little more connected at higher speeds on windier roads. Just my opinion on it. Is it worth the extra cost? Mine was $1,200 so yes I think it’s worth it. Is it worth waiting for vs. a car on the lot? I don’t think so. Yes I’d get it again but wouldn’t wait for a car just to have it. My .02.

I see 2 potential issues (as above):
If the steering ratio or effort is changing while you are in the process of cornering on a curvy road or entrance ramp, it might be difficult to hold a consistent line thru those corners.
If the steering gets light and quick at low speeds for parking, it could be too light and quick during aggressive driving thru low-speed but tight corners.

Comments appreciated......

Jeffc 03-08-2024 12:00 PM

Zombie-pro: Well, since owning the car now for a year and a half I really like it. Makes slow speed maneuvering a bit easier and I feel a little more connected at higher speeds on windier roads...
GoCougs-con: IMO, dynamic steering is fairly terrible. The ratio is quicker when it needs to be but there is zero feel and too much assist... It does screw with road feel by definition of its construction...
SHCKR-pro: It's a must. If you are an enthusiast and can tell a difference in road feel, and will at any point utilize the car to it's potential, you don't want a sloppy steering box...
Superswiss-con: It's nice for daily maneuvering, but the mid corner corrections it frequently took were distracting...

Help!

Zombie5150 03-08-2024 12:20 PM

That’s the problem, lol. If you ask for thoughts you’re gonna get a whole slew of different opinions. The only real way to know for sure is to drive both. I guess if I tracked my car or really drove aggressively I might have a different opinion. But, for the type of driving I do (mostly mello with the occasional on-ramp/desolate windy road speed bursts) it suits me fine.