S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Experience Buying at Audi Dealer

Old 03-04-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
Interestingly enough I'm talking about the Beechmont Audi in Cincinnati.

Your description of the horizontal sales rep makes perfect sense. There was not even rapport building though which I also found odd. Anyway, as far as the delivery goes, the guy who walked me through the car spent a decent amount of time going through all the settings on the car and showed me how everything works. When asking about whether or not traffic data was automatically included, or whether or not I needed to pay for certain features like that, he didn't know. I'm still confused about how Audi Connect works and surprised they didn't know much of anything about it. One of my questions was if there was any advantage of paying for LTE service and if I needed to do so to get traffic data. He said no, it must be bought through AT&T and the only advantage is that it allows people in the car to connect to WiFi, but if you have a phone with a hotspot it would be pointless. I'm pretty sure this is wrong from what I read online.
The dealership I am speaking of is the Connection (Audi Connection) in Montgomery. My rep (of at least 11-12 years) used to work at Beechmont. I have never asked him about them, but although I have been in the dealership you're talking about, I have no experience recent enough to have any relevance. We've built a relationship with our Audi dealer that has spanned about 50% of our life on earth, so it would be difficult to imagine our dealer doing something so egregious as to make us switch; the Beechmont facility is certainly beautiful -- the Connection will be going through another remodeling adventure probably this year. If you've ever been to Ingolstadt, the Connection's facilities look like a miniature version of the Audi AG home in Ingolstadt.

OK, let me give you a bit of info: For 6-months you have Audi Connect -- with UNLIMITED data allowed (meaning you can keep your iPhone permanently WiFi enabled -- for 6-months -- without worrying about any overage.)

You have -- for 4 years, maybe 5 -- traffic.

You have -- for 180 days -- weather, news, and many other features enabled. After the 6 month trial, you will be offered to update your plan to continue the use of Audi Connect and all of the data functions. The thing is, you'll need to understand that the plans no longer offer unlimited data -- you get 6GB. If you burn through that (which is about 3 months if you NEVER use it -- IF you leave the "WiFi" on your phone turned on or don't "deny" WiFi requests in the MMI). An idle iPhone sends and receives hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of KB of data daily. God help you if you actually use your iPhone perhaps to check your email or bring up a web browser. My wife NEVER (willingly or knowingly) used any WiFi in her car -- but she had her iPhone's parm WiFi set to "on" -- she used up all 18 months worth of data in about 10 weeks.

So, for the time being -- you have google earth, google search, news, weather, sports, etc., all live, all the time -- in your new A4.

Your "odd" experience makes me have several more questions: Did they set you up with the MMI "app" so that you can monitor your MMI and control certain functions from your phone? Did they help you program your garage door opener (not that you actually NEED help, but it is always good when someone helps you)? Did they show you the "settings" MMI screen where certain "general" functions are somewhat hidden? Do you have DAP -- and did they give you the reasons to set certain parms to "early" vs "late" or ACC distances or how to activate traffic jam assist and full-on automatic headlights? Did they go over the brake-based torque vectoring (what Audi calls Torque Management?) Did they tell you about the tires in terms of the differences between summer only and all-season and the inflation numbers that work better than the ones listed on the decal?

Did they introduce you to the service manager and set you up with a service advisor, etc., etc.?

If there are "free" car-washes, did they tell you what their policy is -- some dealers are "anytime" -- some are Saturdays only, etc.

Did they offer a SECOND delivery in about 30-days? Did they make sure to tell you to use premium gas and what oil is required (and where to find that info out)? Did they tell you about the "no dipstick" set up of the car?

I was pleased that you seemed to have a pretty good delivery experience, but overall, your experience hardly seems what Audi must strive for.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The dealership I am speaking of is the Connection (Audi Connection) in Montgomery. My rep (of at least 11-12 years) used to work at Beechmont. I have never asked him about them, but although I have been in the dealership you're talking about, I have no experience recent enough to have any relevance. We've built a relationship with our Audi dealer that has spanned about 50% of our life on earth, so it would be difficult to imagine our dealer doing something so egregious as to make us switch; the Beechmont facility is certainly beautiful -- the Connection will be going through another remodeling adventure probably this year. If you've ever been to Ingolstadt, the Connection's facilities look like a miniature version of the Audi AG home in Ingolstadt.

OK, let me give you a bit of info: For 6-months you have Audi Connect -- with UNLIMITED data allowed (meaning you can keep your iPhone permanently WiFi enabled -- for 6-months -- without worrying about any overage.)

You have -- for 180 days -- weather, news, and many other features enabled. After the 6 month trial, you will be offered to update your plan to continue the use of Audi Connect and all of the data functions. The thing is, you'll need to understand that the plans no longer offer unlimited data -- you get 6GB. If you burn through that (which is about 3 months if you NEVER use it -- IF you leave the "WiFi" on your phone turned on or don't "deny" WiFi requests in the MMI). An idle iPhone sends and receives hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of KB of data daily. God help you if you actually use your iPhone perhaps to check your email or bring up a web browser. My wife NEVER (willingly or knowingly) used any WiFi in her car -- but she had her iPhone's parm WiFi set to "on" -- she used up all 18 months worth of data in about 10 weeks.

So, for the time being -- you have google earth, google search, news, weather, sports, etc., all live, all the time -- in your new A4.

Your "odd" experience makes me have several more questions: Did they set you up with the MMI "app" so that you can monitor your MMI and control certain functions from your phone? Did they help you program your garage door opener (not that you actually NEED help, but it is always good when someone helps you)? Did they show you the "settings" MMI screen where certain "general" functions are somewhat hidden? Do you have DAP -- and did they give you the reasons to set certain parms to "early" vs "late" or ACC distances or how to activate traffic jam assist and full-on automatic headlights? Did they go over the brake-based torque vectoring (what Audi calls Torque Management?) Did they tell you about the tires in terms of the differences between summer only and all-season and the inflation numbers that work better than the ones listed on the decal?

Did they introduce you to the service manager and set you up with a service advisor, etc., etc.?

If there are "free" car-washes, did they tell you what their policy is -- some dealers are "anytime" -- some are Saturdays only, etc.

Did they offer a SECOND delivery in about 30-days? Did they make sure to tell you to use premium gas and what oil is required (and where to find that info out)? Did they tell you about the "no dipstick" set up of the car?

I was pleased that you seemed to have a pretty good delivery experience, but overall, your experience hardly seems what Audi must strive for.
Thanks for the info! I will likely give Audi Connection a try for servicing the car.

To answer some of your questions:

- They didn't mention the MMI phone app
- They offered to show me how to program the garage door opener
- They showed me the settings screens
- Didn't mention the torque vectoring
- Didn't say anything about tires or using premium gas. Also no mention of type of oil or dipstick.
- No mention about servicing the car or setting me up with an advisor

They did say I could come back another time for a second delivery. In regards to the car washes, they said they own Johnny's Car Wash and were going to email me a car wash card but I never heard back.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Not to get too off topic but live traffic on the nav is part of the 6 month AudiConnect trial. Once that trial expires no more traffic until you renew. I know this for a fact because I let mine expire and waffled for a few weeks while deciding whether AC was worth the price.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Not to get too off topic but live traffic on the nav is part of the 6 month AudiConnect trial. Once that trial expires no more traffic until you renew. I know this for a fact because I let mine expire and waffled for a few weeks while deciding whether AC was worth the price.
What did you decide? My car is a CPO and already a few months old so Audi Connect is expired. Trying to decide if I should buy it or not... since I've never tried it I don't know if it would be worth it or not.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bk6000
What did you decide? My car is a CPO and already a few months old so Audi Connect is expired. Trying to decide if I should buy it or not... since I've never tried it I don't know if it would be worth it or not.
I decided to renew for 18 months.

I also live in the midwest but ski 25+ days out west a year, which means I drive 3,500-4,000 miles in a single month every winter with a top box on the roof as I snake my way through Colorado/Utah/Wyoming mountain passes, often (and ideally!) in driving snow blizzard conditions--and so need to pay very close attention to detours, pass/road closures, live weather, and chain laws (yes, I carry chains even with snow tires and quattro, though I've not yet had to use them). I also like AudiConnect News -- the MMI can read online new articles for you...you just pick a headline and have it read, which to me is kind of like interactive radio and nice on commutes.

My point is, AudiConnect carries a very different value proposition for me than it does for most of you. And I wish I could pay for it monthly or just 3 months at a time, because at the insane prices Audi wants I could absolutely do without except for during ski season. Keep in mind also that a lot of this functionality can be had on your smartphone via CarPlay.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am a fan -- mostly -- of Audi Connect. The 6GB limit (before you have to pay another $20/mo to go UNLIMITED) is absurd -- at these prices. It is possible to get some/most of the features of AC with a smartphone. But the AC is fully integrated and feels "of a single unit" -- both my wife and I went for the 18-month plan. If the price were 1/3 lower it might not feel so "overpriced." Also, if the data was unlimited, that might make it feel better. It's our fault for leaving the WiFi on our phones turned "on" -- or simply "denying" WiFi to our phones in the MMI. But damn, going to 0GB in 10 weeks and never once consciously using WiFi and then being sent an email, saying: you're out of data, buy more, is beyond the pale. Yes, I'm sure our dealer told us that the data plan would be "eaten up" by having our phones connect to the MMI via WiFi -- but we simply did not connect what he said to actual data usage when the phone is just sitting on the console.

My 2014 had "unlimited" data -- I just left my phone to send and receive as much data as the thing "needed," and never gave it a second thought. Now, I have the MMI not accepting requests from the phone to join the in-car WiFi hotspot.

I keep hoping WAZE would get integrated into the MMI.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard you can use waze with android auto and it would appear in the middle screen and not in the VC...
Old 03-05-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a fan -- mostly -- of Audi Connect. The 6GB limit (before you have to pay another $20/mo to go UNLIMITED) is absurd -- at these prices. It is possible to get some/most of the features of AC with a smartphone. But the AC is fully integrated and feels "of a single unit" -- both my wife and I went for the 18-month plan. If the price were 1/3 lower it might not feel so "overpriced." Also, if the data was unlimited, that might make it feel better. It's our fault for leaving the WiFi on our phones turned "on" -- or simply "denying" WiFi to our phones in the MMI. But damn, going to 0GB in 10 weeks and never once consciously using WiFi and then being sent an email, saying: you're out of data, buy more, is beyond the pale. Yes, I'm sure our dealer told us that the data plan would be "eaten up" by having our phones connect to the MMI via WiFi -- but we simply did not connect what he said to actual data usage when the phone is just sitting on the console.

My 2014 had "unlimited" data -- I just left my phone to send and receive as much data as the thing "needed," and never gave it a second thought. Now, I have the MMI not accepting requests from the phone to join the in-car WiFi hotspot.

I keep hoping WAZE would get integrated into the MMI.
Hi Mark! I received the same email--in my case that after 3 months, my data is 80% used up. I called AC to inquire, and they told me that the data is Wi-Fi only--that the data for Google Earth etc, is good to go and unlimited. Was I misled?
Old 03-05-2018, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think you will be able to use everything as normal -- just not the WiFi hot spot.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

My Audi Dealer is outstanding.
After getting blown off by Mercedes and the closest BMW dealer who, respectively, said they wouldn't let me 'Take the car for a joyride to waste the mileage' and that 'You can't afford a BMW' I was impressed to watch Audi go above and beyond to sell me the car.
I went in prepared to buy an A3, determined that it wasn't quite fast enough, and wound up with a 2014 S4. This was in mid-2014.

The salesman was chill, let me look at... probably 8 different cars and was answered all my questions. He did not push hard and let me go at my own pace. I guess compared to every other dealership they were 'detached' but friendly and welcoming.

The more-local dealer I go to for service is the polar opposite. When I was looking for my 2014's replacement they were pushy and called sometimes no fewer than 3x per day to tell me the car 'should be in soon'.
It got to the point where I asked 3 different people to stop calling then starting blocking their number. I also received physical mail from them. At present it's 10 letters I've received offering a deal on a 2018.
It should surprise no one that when I upgraded my car it was from my original purchase place. The salesman, with whom I haven't spoken or seen since purchase time, remembered me and made the new purchase insanely easy and straightforward.

Dealer #1: Excellent purchase experience, great customer service, courtesy car every time you go in, but way too far away.
Dealer #2: Have to argue with rep that the contract says courtesy car is included with AudiCare, they push really hard to drop you off at home or at work (no thank you), have to convince them that things that are definitely covered under warranty are... covered under warranty, and you get tons of spam from them.

I fit mplsbrian's description of outwardly not being able to buy the car but they treated me like I could. I had barely graduated college at the time and was wearing camo shorts and a band t-shirt.
So at the end of this long rant, if your dealer doesn't treat you well try somewhere else. You might get much better service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Experience Buying at Audi Dealer