S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Experience with Rattles and Interior noises?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When there is no passenger (or a passenger does not use the seat belt), their seat belt bangs against the solid side of the Sports Seats annoyingly loudly when going over bumps etc.

Went back in to local dealership who said there was no fix and offered nothing else. Maybe that's Audi UK for you... or maybe just my local dealer.

I'm looking at putting a strip (or 2) of foam tape on the side of the seat where the metal seat belt fastener bangs against.

Do others have this issue - how did you resolve please?

Other than that, I'm really pleased with the car. I downsized from an S7.

Regards, NickW
Old 09-21-2017, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is a service for both the A4 and S4 related to the clips that hold the rear glass. Tell them to look harder for it. My dealer found it immediately and it corrected the issue.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nickjwilliams
When there is no passenger (or a passenger does not use the seat belt), their seat belt bangs against the solid side of the Sports Seats annoyingly loudly when going over bumps etc.
It took me a LONG time to find this rattle. I don't have passengers all that often, so I just slide the retainer part back up to near the top.

In other cars I've had, there's been a plastic grommet fastened through the belt material to stop the buckle from sliding down past a certain point. Seems like an easy retrofit.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bkking01
Got my courage up to drop the car off at the Dealership today to address the persistent rattles. The Tech I rode with said he wasn't aware of any service bullitens on the 18 S4 related to interior noises but would double check the computer. Based on what he heard, said they might need to drop the headliner and pull the sunroof which makes me super nervous. Fingers crossed that I won't seriously regret letting them pull apart the interior.
how did it go??? They told me as well that they had to remove the headliner, cause they could locate the cause of the rattle. Crossing my fingers that everything goes smooth.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My sunroof switch area on the headliner rattles a lot while listening to music and my rear deck cover rattles a ton. I tightened the spare tire down as tight as I could and it alleviated some of the trunk rattle noises.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikemis
Yup. The headliner right by my ear in the b-pillar area rattles/shuffles over anything but glass smooth pavement. It's a major bummer.

The various hard plastic and carbon fibre trim in the doors squeak occasionally, as does the centre channel grille in the dash.
Hi Mikemis,

I've noticed the same issue around the B-pillar, have you resolved this? If so, what was the issue? TIA
Old 04-04-2018, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The dealership fixed the subwoofer related rattles in my S5.

Most of my other squeaks and rattles (mostly related to the windows/sunroof) have been mitigated by applying some 'Gummy Pfledge' to all rubber gaskets and points of contact with the windows/sunroof. I applied a coating of the Gummy Pfledge and let it dry before closing the roof/doors. It seems to have greatly reduced my issues.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a dash rattle. I found it to be related to the vent area. There is a small space between the emergency flasher button and the dash above and below it. The same space is between the vent open/close dials. I bought $1.50 3/32 o rings from Home Depot, cut them and put a little piece in there and it went away completely. Can’t even see the pieces and took all of five minutes.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2018 Audi S4 P+ ( 205 Miles )

Subtle but irritating Rattle / Buzzing coming from instrument panel, specifically the left side.

It would start at 35 mph and become a little bit loader at 85-90.

Dreading the horror of tearing apart my dash I cringed as I dropped it off at the dealer.

Receive a Video Update from the Tech. Left Side Front Wheel Bearing is Trashed.

Replacement on the way.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had rattle in sunroof. Dealer found broken bits of material in the sun roof drain. Rattle gone.