S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First Black Optic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magikbaker
The idea is that I could get a like new car to enjoy this year which could potentially be the last summer before we start a family. I live in Pittsburgh and there is no joy in owning an S4 in the winter. So waiting 100 days is more like waiting 200 days. The stress and agony of waiting for what I thought would be a car straight from the factory was hard enough.

This option is based around an indistinguishable repair job, discount equal to the depreciation of the car, and then some for the lost time and stress. The car should be fixed this week so we will see. They came closer to what I think is fair but not enough to make me feel good about it.
Not fun in the winter?!!? With all due respect, winter is when you CAN really enjoy these cars. Put some good tires on it, and drift everywhere you go! Seriously, I feel like winter is when you can finally (safely) really have a blast in these cars. Today's cars have so much power and so much grip, that getting the car to move around at all means you are well and truly beyond acceptable limits in the dry. Can't wait for my first trip over Mt Hood this winter....
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I 100% agree with you and there is obviously going to be some degree of emotion. I should state I am not 100% attached to having a brand new factory car that is absolutely perfect. What I am attached to is an S4 that meets my value expectations. For example, I would be extremely happy to take delivery of this car if I get an S4 that is worth what I pay and maybe a little bit more. If that isn't the case I will have to order one.

An extreme example would be if I can get an S4 thats 99% new by function & apprearance, depreciated from 60k to 55k, and pay 30k for it. I doubt many people would be too caught up in an unnoticeable repair job done the right way. The value of that transaction would surely offset that pain.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pb12
Not fun in the winter?!!? With all due respect, winter is when you CAN really enjoy these cars. Put some good tires on it, and drift everywhere you go! Seriously, I feel like winter is when you can finally (safely) really have a blast in these cars. Today's cars have so much power and so much grip, that getting the car to move around at all means you are well and truly beyond acceptable limits in the dry. Can't wait for my first trip over Mt Hood this winter....
Fair enough. I knew I would get some harassment for that. I would be the first person in that empty parking lot.

My comments were meant to reflect more of getting a nicely painted brand new factory ordered car and exposing it to the slushy pot hole laden roads and muddy boots from delivery. It's always nice to get a nice long summer before exposing the car to those elements.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by magikbaker
Fair enough. I knew I would get some harassment for that. I would be the first person in that empty parking lot.

My comments were meant to reflect more of getting a nicely painted brand new factory ordered car and exposing it to the slushy pot hole laden roads and muddy boots from delivery. It's always nice to get a nice long summer before exposing the car to those elements.
Absolutely, that makes total sense. The other nice thing about the west, (after having grown up in Vermont) is the lack of salt on the roads, if you're right it's still a mess...but it sure is fun!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Talbot
Having just ordered (and waited) for one myself, I feel your pain on the waiting part. I do. Really. (But like I said... I'd do it again for a "perfect" car.)

But, since you came here looking for a little advice, and i'll give you my opinion. Remember that it is just my own opinion, please. It seems that you're letting emotion guide you. I submit that if you can put that emotion aside, you could potentially come out better in the long run. Seems to me that your statement about "fair but not enough to make me feel good about it" might be that the people involved from the dealership sense your emotional attachment here and are leveraging it to their benefit.

It won't always be winter in Pittsburgh, and this car is a joy to own EVERY DAY.
Well said. On special possessions, I too become angry and vindictive. That someone lower down the hill intentionally damaged a special prize of mine infuriates me.
Perhaps as stated we lose perspective.
If repaired perfectly and you are paid for time and expenses you will be ok afterwards.
Except nothing less than perfect. Get something for your efforts Don't feel guilty about ferocity. They deserve it.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

magikbaker, I had the same thing happen with my S5. Me and the wife were on our way home from a vegas trip when my sales rep called and said our car had arrived. We were very excited and planned to meet at the dealership in 5 hours to pick it up. Upon arriving he said there was small problem and walked us out to the car. Ugg! the transporter had damaged the passenger rear panel under the gas cap just above the tire. The damage was only to the paint however it was deep and not something that could be polished out. Of course I was furious and felt trapped. We had waited for months to get this car and here it was already scarred before we even take delivery, there was no way I was going to wait 3 months or more for another one. In the end the dealership had the damage repaired and it is undetectable now.
Looking back at the event I should have pulled out my guns and demanded a large discount on the car. Although honestly I don't think I would have gotten it as the dealer would have just had the car repaired and sold it to someone else as brand new and never disclosed anything.