S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First five hardware mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
Do you think that stops people from filing suit against the automaker in a wrongful death type scenario? I'm talking about USA here.
Well, no, but wouldn't the companies making the aftermarket mounts be just as worried about liability? Yet they still make them. Same goes for the phone makers themselves, so not sure why the automakers would be more concerned. They are doing some risky things with driver assistance, etc that would seem to be larger magnets for lawsuits.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is one recent example. Sure, the plaintiff lost, but I imagine the cost to defend against it.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar177400.html
I can also see how a car manufacturer creating something to keep a phone in the driver’s line-of-sight/use might not fare as well.

Lastly, the MMI warns you every time you go to use many interactive functions, and it locks out certain functions while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kstrike155
How is the mount? I'm afraid to have a phone sitting in front of my vent. In the summer it would be fine, as the A/C would cool it, but in the winter won't the heat cause the phone to overheat? My phone gets very warm and starts dimming the display sitting in my windshield mount; I can't imagine what having the heat blasting on it would do.
Worked fine on my other cars through several winters. Most cars don't actually blow hot air thru the center vents (at least as long as you keep it in Auto mode), but rather up and down - up for the windshield and down for your feet, from where it slowly rises up. So no issues here.