S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First oil change ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First oil change ... ?

Pulled up the maintenance schedule for the S4 - and it seems that first oil change is at 10,000. Is that correct? I know previously a brand new car (I've seen it in passing) gets its first oil change at 5K miles. This is our first brand new car - so have not dealt with this myself in the past. Any insight?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall this topic being discussed in a previous post (I believe around August). The answer was, per the manufacturer and Audi service departments, go with 10k for the first oil & filter. That is unless there's significant wear such as stop-n-go traffic through most of your commute. My previous M4 required an oil & filter change at 1200 miles. If I were leasing this vehicle with the intent of turning it in, I would go with 10k miles (if not higher). Perhaps it will be a waste of money but I will be changing my oil & filter at 5k miles for the first change. Most likely I will follow the recommend schedule thereafter.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am under the same impression (first oil service at 10k). However, I am also planning for an early oil service at 5k, and every 5k after that with Audicare handling the 10k intervals, and doing the in-between services myself. The only thing is usually I've always done traditional oil changes, but I'll have to get an extractor as it looks like too much of a pain to even try the traditional method in the S4 (belly pan).
Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

We always, always, always change the oil and filter at 5K miles. Every other change, therefore, is cause for an extra charge (assuming you have the Audi service package). Two reasons: wear mitigation and the fact that the dealer "sees" the car twice as often which can catch an issue earlier than if the car was only seen every 10k miles.

Remember to ASK (or TELL) the dealer that this car REQUIRES (it is not a recommendation, that is) VW Spec 508 oil. This oil is Castrol ProfessionalOE 0W-20. Do NOT let them put the previous generation S4 oil in this car. This is a B-cycle equipped engine car. Thus far, the oil REQUIREMENT seems to be something that has not been updated in the dealer's computer system. You should (politely, but firmly) request they double-check that the oil used is the above-noted oil. BTW, the oil is dyed GREEN. This oil, as far as I know, is not yet available anywhere except the dealer.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We always, always, always change the oil and filter at 5K miles. Every other change, therefore, is cause for an extra charge (assuming you have the Audi service package). Two reasons: wear mitigation and the fact that the dealer "sees" the car twice as often which can catch an issue earlier than if the car was only seen every 10k miles.

Remember to ASK (or TELL) the dealer that this car REQUIRES (it is not a recommendation, that is) VW Spec 508 oil. This oil is Castrol ProfessionalOE 0W-20. Do NOT let them put the previous generation S4 oil in this car. This is a B-cycle equipped engine car. Thus far, the oil REQUIREMENT seems to be something that has not been updated in the dealer's computer system. You should (politely, but firmly) request they double-check that the oil used is the above-noted oil. BTW, the oil is dyed GREEN. This oil, as far as I know, is not yet available anywhere except the dealer.

B9 S4 Oil Change Kit https://www.europaparts.com/oil-chan...s5-sq5-b9.html
Old 11-06-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This bears repeating:

My first oil change (actually two oil changes, back to back) was carried out with the previous generation oil specification. The service manager wouldn't even let the car be moved from the service bay -- they resucked out the wrong oil, changed the filter and filled it up with the VW Spec 508 oil.

My wife has now had two 5K oil changes in her 2018 SQ5 and they did both of them correctly, but the service ticket has a warning: USE THE RIGHT OIL, printed on the ticket.

Growing pains.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
This bears repeating...
...This oil, as far as I know, is not yet available anywhere except the dealer...
Hey buddy, I know it's Monday morning and we're all still working on our first cup of coffee, but user Pauls40 literally just posted a non-dealer source for that oil. Follow the link, it's the correct oil. Decent price too if you ask me. (Thanks Paul!)
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Hey buddy, I know it's Monday morning and we're all still working on our first cup of coffee, but user Pauls40 literally just posted a non-dealer source for that oil. Follow the link, it's the correct oil. Decent price too if you ask me. (Thanks Paul!)
looks legit too, I wonder if this is the only 508 oil.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by socialpro
Pulled up the maintenance schedule for the S4 - and it seems that first oil change is at 10,000. Is that correct? I know previously a brand new car (I've seen it in passing) gets its first oil change at 5K miles. This is our first brand new car - so have not dealt with this myself in the past. Any insight?
Do what the manual says to do.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, I looked at the link. I notice two things. #1. The oil seems to be the right weight. The oil at the dealer says ProfessionalOE (which I assume is marketing). #2. The price to have the dealer change the oil is $4 more and includes a wash and vacuum of the car (plus "usually" a free bottle of oil if you ask nicely). Other "inspection" services are also part of the package at the dealer.

On the first issue: I have to assume other than the green dye, that this is the same oil, so, no biggie. However, this kit seems to assume you are going to drain the oil rather than suck the oil out through the vestigial dip-stick tube.

On the second issue: I know that some folks think the "stealership" is not your best choice for service. However, the dealer is required to provide customers with a multi-point inspection. My service ticket indicates brake pad thickness. The car is hand washed and vacuumed and the tires are nitrogen filled. This means, to me, that some folks must be able to change their oil in less than $5 worth of their time -- but I'm hard-pressed to believe they could hand-wash and vacuum, plus perform the included inspections and notation. Also, who among us has a nitrogen tire tank?

So, while I'm all in favor of DIY service -- or at least I used to be -- this is EXPENSIVE and offers fewer services and checks (I don't know if I could measure brake pad thickness even if I had the tools to do so.)

Now, then: The oil change at the dealer DOES cost MORE than the kit -- and at my dealership, the number BEFORE discount is greater than $99. Here's the full disclosure. If you are an AudiCare customer and you have service performed at the dealer (such as an oil change every 5,000 miles, meaning you pay for every other change), they total the price then offer a "good customer" 15% discount. By my reckoning, however, the additional services the dealer offers would justify the premium before the discount.

So, while I do not quarrel with anyone about the "decent" price (perception is reality), I can't make it work and probably would only be able to do so if the price was $75 -- even then, my love of dirt and crud have waned since I turned 60.

Finally, even though I "THINK" the oil is the same -- Professional and ProfessionalOE aren't the same names (but I do believe this is nothing more than a distinction without a difference). Assuming the oil bottle says "VW 508" -- I would have no fear in using it. I would also add that if you live an impractical distance from a dealer to take the car to the dealer every 5,000 miles (or 10,000), I understand that even though this appears to cost more and does somewhat devalue my "hourly rate," circumstances may make the opportunity cost too great for you.

In short, this is an expensive alternative to the dealer (for me).

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-07-2017 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply: First oil change ... ?