S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

First Winter Storm of the Season

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Winter Storm of the Season

The forecast is for 4-6 inches of heavy wet snow late today through midnight. I am curious to see how my S4 handles the conditions. I have the Michelin PA4 performance winter tires on 18" rims. Over the last two years I drove a 2015 JGC Summit. Along with the Hemi engine, I had the Quadra-Drive II with rear electronic limited slip differential. In short, while always active, it could transfer 100% of the torque to any wheel (vs. axle only). I used the factory all-season tires. I never had an issue getting around. My "gut" feel is the S4 will handle the snow without any issues except for the deep (4" and higher) snow.

Looking forward to the first snow storm of the season.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had snow here in Minnesota. I will say that I can leave intersections with the same speed as dry without traction control kicking on. And if you have the sport diff, you will feel it even more in the snow.

I have the same tires and I really have been impressed so far. I haven't done 'deep' snow yet but I know it's coming. Good luck out there and stay safe.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Post first winter storm, I can now state my S4 with the PA4 tires handled it without any drama. In-fact it was better than mu previous JGC Summit. Though that vehicle had the Goodyear Fortera all-season tires (which didn't provide the best traction in the snow). There were times that I tried to force bad handling behavior, the car kept it's composure. The only limitation, if any, is ground clearance. For the roads that I typically drive on, this car will have no problem handling the snow and ice Mother Nature throws at it.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I can say the same about my new Michelin X-ice Xi3s. Driven in 2 storms so far with 2-4" fresh snow on the ground and I'm very happy with the performance.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the Xice on a previous vehicle as well.

They were FANTASTIC in snow, ice, slush, and wet. I bought them because where i lived (Iowa) we didn't get snowfall over 1' in most cases, and the roads were usually plowed at anytime other than early early before work. Rated for better performance on everything BUT deep snow.
They were quiet relative to there tread and snow rating, got reasonably decent fuel economy, and wore slowly.

I'd definitely buy them again.

Biggest improvement, and main reason I bought them, was because I kept overdriving my All Season tires (Michelin Latitudes) in the snow, and always skidded to a sliding halt under full abs interference. With the Xice tires, I never had that problem in the snow again!
It was LITERALLY fun standing on the gas at full stop, and leaving everybody NOT on snow tires behind.

worth the price of 2 sets of tires!

gr