S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Freaked out by Pre-sense seat belt tightening for no reason at all

Old 06-21-2021, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Freaked out by Pre-sense seat belt tightening for no reason at all

I was stopped at a red light with cars stopped in front and behind me when I felt my seat belt tighten and lock up on me for no apparent reason (no movement of cars all around me). I looked on the dash and saw the red Pre-Sense light come on momentarily and then go off quickly. I hope this doesn't happen again because it's rather unsettling.
The following users liked this post:
toxicxk23 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
I was stopped at a red light with cars stopped in front and behind me when I felt my seat belt tighten and lock up on me for no apparent reason (no movement of cars all around me). I looked on the dash and saw the red Pre-Sense light come on momentarily and then go off quickly. I hope this doesn't happen again because it's rather unsettling.
Similar thing happened to me last month. Was sitting at a red light in the left turn lane. Car in front, no car behind. It happened around the time a car going straight went by my right side...maybe it thought the car was about to rear end me? It was definitely unsettling...
Old 06-23-2021, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This just happened to me last week for the first time sitting in a drive-thru. Seatbelt slammed against me and seat bolsters tightened up on me. Neither the car in front of me, or behind me moved an inch. Freaked me out. What could cause this?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascalise
This just happened to me last week for the first time sitting in a drive-thru. Seatbelt slammed against me and seat bolsters tightened up on me. Neither the car in front of me, or behind me moved an inch. Freaked me out. What could cause this?
Oh yeah, forgot about the seta bolsters tightening up also. That added to the "shock" when it all happened. Had to manually set the bolsters back to their normal positions when I got home. I'm thinking some sort of condition got met where the sensors thought there was about to be a collision. Hopefully it's not a sign of pre-sense malfunctioning. I don't even wanna know what the car would do if it were moving...probably activate the brakes? Could cause a serious accident.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toxicxk23
Oh yeah, forgot about the seta bolsters tightening up also. That added to the "shock" when it all happened. Had to manually set the bolsters back to their normal positions when I got home. I'm thinking some sort of condition got met where the sensors thought there was about to be a collision. Hopefully it's not a sign of pre-sense malfunctioning. I don't even wanna know what the car would do if it were moving...probably activate the brakes? Could cause a serious accident.
My bolsters when back immediately. Yes, the car would most certainly apply the brakes. My car only has 19k miles on it, I can't imagine anything would be wrong with the system.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascalise
My bolsters when back immediately. Yes, the car would most certainly apply the brakes. My car only has 19k miles on it, I can't imagine anything would be wrong with the system.
My car is only 3 months old with barely over 2K miles, so it’s definitely not related to the age of the car.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

What is you pre-sense prewarning set to? Maybe try setting it to “Late”?
(B9.5 - Vehicle, Driver Assistance, Audi pre sense, Prewarning)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 2022

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
It just happened to me. Stop at red light for less than 10second and suddenly the seat belt tightened then released. I was startled, and still worrying if it'll happen again while driving. Is Audi doing something about it, anyone know?
Old 01-31-2023, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine momentarily braked a front wheel as I went round a corner (Not at silly speed and no other obstacles) and nearly caused an accident itself, Pre-Sense went permanently off after that.