S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

H&R Coilover review

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R Coilover review

So I haven't seen anything on these so ill post my thoughts on the H&R coilover kit, also tho only coilover kit available at the moment.

pros: adjustable hight

cons: everything else... 1. no adjustable dampening, I came from a 2017 f80 m3 and had KW v3 coilovers, I had the dampening almost on max so, I really prefer very stiff very responsive coilovers and these simply do not even compare. 2. quite obviously you lose the adaptive suspension feature and I'm ok with that but I was expecting them to be stiffer then dynamic oem and that is not the case. 3. rear spring perches cannot be adjusted without taking them completely out so good luck adjusting them. 4.everytime I hit a small bump the audi pre sense disables and makes an annoying chime. 5. not sure if this issue is because the rear is slightly out of alignment since I dropped it but the rear is reallllllly squirrelly, hitting small bumps in the road is inevitable and when the rear hits anything it sways like crazy and takes a few seconds to settle down, this is by far the most annoying thing about these coilovers. I'm going in for an alignment this week so ill update the post to let you all know if that was the issue.

Even ordering them was a process, If you have looked into these you know that there are 2 versions one is a 53mm front strut and a 48.5mm front strut. ECS tuning and H&R advertise that if your build date is pre July 2016 you have 53mm struts and any date after is 48.5mm struts so of course with a build date of February 2017 I figured that I would have 48.5 mm struts so I order them and get them in and they are too small so I have to put my front end back together and ship them back to ecs and get the 53mm. not sure if H&R has faulty info or if audi ****ed up just my car? (highly doubt that lol)

as much as I hate them I will be keeping them until kwv3 are available in the states because one I don't feel like changing them again and two there is literally nothing else to go to. I spoke with kw and they still can't give me a firm date when they will be out but apparently they are available in the UK so that means we should have them in a few months.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

^^

Something not right here, as your car's handling sounds broken:

B9 S4 production did not commence until August 2016. The model platform is B9, the vehicle Type (Typ in German) for the B9 A4/S4 is B8, which is extremely confusing to many. Type is used for German certification processes to more accurately determine the specific production/body shape. The B8 used Type 8K.

The USA website for H&R doesn't distinguish between A4 and S4 models (and misrepresents Type number), nor does the ECS site. So the date ranges and strut sizing applies to the A4 production dates, and do not apply to the S4 at all.

The German site for H&R does correctly identify the S4 fitting, as per my screen shot below. I have also attached a link to the Certification PDF, which is in both German and English. Tricky to read, but you will be able to decipher the specific H&R part numbers, which for an S4 sedan should be:
  • Front springs: 28756-1
  • Rear springs: 28756-1
  • Front dampers: 13 17 452-1/1 (53mm Ø)
  • Rear dampers: 13 67 500-1/1
  • Rear adjustable spring seat: HR92-K-X123A01
If these are correct, maybe an idea to get the car corner weighted to check if something is way off. I am surprised to see H&R are using the same springs and dampers on A4 FWD, A4 quattro, and S4 models, as the weight and weight distribution is quite different across all these models.

This set is not a suitable replacement for an S4 fitted with adaptive suspension, passive only. You don't say which suspension you had fitted. With adaptive suspension, I don't think replacing the OEM ZF Sachs EDC dampers with dampers from H&R makes much sense at all. In that case, the KW HAS would be a much better choice.

Hope you can sort it out, sounds very unpleasant as is.

H&R Germany

H&R TüV Certification
Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about the little fitment issues you ran into, our fitment is based upon the manufacture speced fitment, in this case, it sounds like H&R needs a little review.

As for the handling was the car realigned after the coilover install was complete? On the B9 platform, we've noticed poor handling characteristics after lowering due to the suspension falling far out of alignment.

-James
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
Sorry about the little fitment issues you ran into, our fitment is based upon the manufacture speced fitment, in this case, it sounds like H&R needs a little review.

As for the handling was the car realigned after the coilover install was complete? On the B9 platform, we've noticed poor handling characteristics after lowering due to the suspension falling far out of alignment.

-James
im not blaming ecs, you guys made it right and shipped out the other size and they did end up fitting. H&R needs to correct it on their end. As I stated above I have not yet got the car aligned since lowering but I do plan on it and I'm hoping that alleviates the rear end being squirrely.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oups totally skipped over that part about the still needing alignment! That should help tone down the squirrely-ness substantially!