S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Heat - Auto Setting Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heat - Auto Setting Behavior

Has anyone noticed that if you set the heat to auto and it is cold outside when the car warms up the fan does not increase it’s speed to quickly warm the car to set temp? My other Audi’s increase heater fan speed considerably once the engine temp is sufficient to get to set temp quickly.

Last edited by Pauly001; 03-22-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I have noticed that my car does not crank up the fan to a noticeable speed when on Auto.. With that being said, I'm very pleased with how quick the inside heats up once you start driving.. I believe there is a level of fan speed that provides maximum amount of heat to warm the cabin -- and I don't believe that is at the "Max" setting. I know nothing of thermodynamics, so I'm sure I could be mistaken.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauly001
Has anyone noticed that if you set the heat to auto and it is cold outside when the car warms up the fan does not increase it’s speed to quickly warm the car to set temp? My other Audi’s increase heater fan speed considerably once the engine temp is sufficient to get to set temp quickly.
I have never had a car that did what you are describing. Especially not when the engine is still cold and heat cannot be supplied to the cabin. You will only get maximum fan speed when you activate the defrost function.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I've also noticed that in the summer time Auto never lowers the fan speed below 2, and that's actually a little noisy.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I only and always use as much manual settings as the system allows.

I do not like letting these systems decide how much fan or anything else, well, I do like the auto intake system when it senses smoke or something harmful.

Also, this S4 is the warmest dash in any car I've ever had.
In the summer there is still a good amount of heat coming from the engine bay seeping into the cabin.
With other cars I can set the vent to outside air only, no AC, on a nice warmer day and be comfortable with a light breeze from a light fan.
In my S4, even on lightly warm days I find I have to use AC to compensate for how much heat is seeping in from the engine bay.

Putting the turbo in the "V" may be nice for reduced lag and greater air flow efficiency, which it is, but turbo system are HOT by nature and the location of the turbo in this V6 puts a freaking hot radiator just in front of the driver and front passenger.
I for one am not a fan of that.
But, it is what it is.

Quick Reply: Heat - Auto Setting Behavior