S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Heated Washer Nozzles

Old 11-26-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Heated Washer Nozzles

With colder temps upon us, I realized I still had "summer" washer fluid in my reservoir, and needed to purge it and refill with low temp / non-freezing variant.

For lack of better method, I simply "purged" by spraying the washers while I was on the highway, until I ran out.
Maybe unnecessarily hard on the washer motor, but the motor was smarter than me - because after an extended pull on the lever, it would eventually shut itself off (say 10 seconds). The reservoir is an astounding full Gallon of fluid, and I got more than 20 long pulls out of the washer spray.

I couldn't remember if our cars came with a heated washer fluid reservoir, or heated nozzles, or what.....so I looked it up in the manual -- and found a small blurb under Washer System "TIPS" That states:
(Washer Fluid Nozzles are heated at low temperatures when the ignition is on)

Nothing mentioned about heated RESERVOIR or Heated windshield area for wipers ( i think Q7's have this option).
Im curious if anyone has found information contrary to this, and or can confirm the existence of a heated reservoir or windshield OPTION for A4's, in various trims or options.

*don't forget to add proper cold weather fluid to your reservoirs before the freezing temps settle in!

gr
Old 11-27-2018, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

What is the standard fluid used by Audi? I have never changed the fluid in my car and used to live in Vermont, with temperatures below freezing for several months straight. What's the point of using windshield wiper fluid with such a high freezing point in the first place?

Last edited by JD15; 11-27-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

So glad you asked!

Well, first, I live in the South (NC) and the majority of the year is above 32 degf, so not as imperative that fluids be able to withstand a hard freeze.

Second, I like the summer variants that are less "alcohol" based, and provide a higher level of detergent, or what's sold as "BUG" solvent.

I started buying RainX Bug Remover Fluid (for the summer months) and even though it's a bit more expensive, I have never looked back.

I don't know exactly what is in the Audi branded stuff you get at the dealership, but it is HEAVILY laced with some variant of Methanol/Ethanol, and really really stinks to me. I'm sure it is good at de-icing and thawing duties, but as a de-bugging agent - it is truly worthless.
I'll continue to buy the branded Rain-X stuff, particularly in the summer months, and winter, as the added benefit of RainX on the windshield SURELY can't hurt my outward visibility on those rainy / foggy days.

Summer can get pretty "buggy" in these parts, and I HATE HATE HATE a smeared windshield. This stuff actually dissolves the bug guts much better than the Audi stuff, or any other brands that I've found recently. I used to drive alot for work, and this stuff is great for getting the guts and smear off the windshield!

Also, I noticed a DIRECT correlation between Wiper Blade life, and the use of this stuff, particularly when you're trying to get rid of a mass of dead bug guts on the screen.
A little slicker glass surface is also a benefit to this as well. So, overall - yeah, I'm a fan.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 11-27-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was thinking about Rainx too but not anymore after reading that https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Old 11-28-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jondin2000
I was thinking about Rainx too but not anymore after reading that https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml
Well, THAT certainly put a damper on my accolades for Rain-X.

I'm going to check with my Svc Advisor and see if TSB's for this issue truly exist next time I'm in for service.

I'll report back.

gr
Old 11-28-2018, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Yeah the Rain-X thing has been a big issue for several years and people are always warned not to use it. I'm surprised you haven't heard about it.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
With colder temps upon us, I realized I still had "summer" washer fluid in my reservoir, and needed to purge it and refill with low temp / non-freezing variant.

For lack of better method, I simply "purged" by spraying the washers while I was on the highway, until I ran out.
Maybe unnecessarily hard on the washer motor, but the motor was smarter than me - because after an extended pull on the lever, it would eventually shut itself off (say 10 seconds). The reservoir is an astounding full Gallon of fluid, and I got more than 20 long pulls out of the washer spray.

I couldn't remember if our cars came with a heated washer fluid reservoir, or heated nozzles, or what.....so I looked it up in the manual -- and found a small blurb under Washer System "TIPS" That states:

Nothing mentioned about heated RESERVOIR or Heated windshield area for wipers ( i think Q7's have this option).
Im curious if anyone has found information contrary to this, and or can confirm the existence of a heated reservoir or windshield OPTION for A4's, in various trims or options.

*don't forget to add proper cold weather fluid to your reservoirs before the freezing temps settle in!

gr
My mini motor-home summer washer fluid is tap water, some methyl alcohol and a dash of dish detergent. This mix is much more effective than std washer fluid for removing bugs and sap but it is messy sometimes ( when too much detergent). Don't use it on my Audi,it's too pretty.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990

Only the nozzles are heated on most models. If you like you can pop them out and see the electrical connector running to them.
I believe the A8 and Q7 have the option of heated windshields in some markets, probably the Q8 now too, but I do not think a heated reservoir is or was offered for any Audi. Albeit I admit this might be changing with the future e-tron. I just run the -20 winter stuff year-round.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jondin2000
Aw man thats a huge bummer, I use the Rain X one too cause of the water repentant properties. Guess ill have to find a new brand to use. Any recommendations?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I saw some Windex branded FLuid rated to -25degf in Autozone yesterday, but I didn't look to see what was in the ingredients.

It was also $5 gallon, which is expensive.

Getting 20k OCI done this week, and I'll just let the dealer top-off my tank with Audi stuff.

I'll revisit this again when I run the res. dry again. Not sure what I'll do for the coming summer / bug season.
Maybe mix my own, or research a different brand without the Rain-X silicone additives.

gr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heated Washer Nozzles