S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Help a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Plenty of folks in the other newbie thread agree with me on the S sport package.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Plenty of folks in the other newbie thread agree with me on the S sport package.
Nobody is going to say that it's not a good package, but to say to not buy the car if it doesn't have the Sport Diff is a little harsh. That might be your opinion, but I drove both and would not hesitate to buy one without the sport diff if it was a spec that otherwise was perfect. If you're buying the car to track, that's a different story.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Back when this was called Jet's A4 Page, we had the B5 S5 and it had 250 horsepower and everybody felt OMG this is a lot of power and this car is a ton of fun. They weren't wrong. The thing is, today's S4 is way more powerful than they were 20 years ago, and as such it's actually too powerful for most driving situations. If I use full throttle on my S4 one of three things will immediately happen:

1. Crash into the car in front of me
2. Get huge tickets for travelling at a non trivial fraction of the speed of light
3. Fly off the mountain side and die in a giant fireball.

The fact is, the B8 and B9 S4's *need* the sport differential to help keep the car enjoyable and safe while utilizing the upper ranges of it's power and potential. The whole point of owning an S4, other than showing off, is to have a hard driving machine that takes you to the limits and brings you home safe and the S Sport package is essential in this goal.

Today's A4 is just as powerful, just as fast, and just as light, as the B5 S4, and it's actually a much better car in many ways, most notably, reliability. 250 HP is a lot of power for a car in nearly all civilized driving situations. If you are never going to drive in situations that can utilize the sport differential, the A4 is really a better choice. You can put the money you saved in options and trim upgrades. Plus insurance rates are lower, MPG is a lot better, and maintenance will be cheaper.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 647 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Back when this was called Jet's A4 Page, we had the B5 S5 and it had 250 horsepower and everybody felt OMG this is a lot of power and this car is a ton of fun. They weren't wrong. The thing is, today's S4 is way more powerful than they were 20 years ago, and as such it's actually too powerful for most driving situations. If I use full throttle on my S4 one of three things will immediately happen:

1. Crash into the car in front of me
2. Get huge tickets for travelling at a non trivial fraction of the speed of light
3. Fly off the mountain side and die in a giant fireball.

The fact is, the B8 and B9 S4's *need* the sport differential to help keep the car enjoyable and safe while utilizing the upper ranges of it's power and potential. The whole point of owning an S4, other than showing off, is to have a hard driving machine that takes you to the limits and brings you home safe and the S Sport package is essential in this goal.

Today's A4 is just as powerful, just as fast, and just as light, as the B5 S4, and it's actually a much better car in many ways, most notably, reliability. 250 HP is a lot of power for a car in nearly all civilized driving situations. If you are never going to drive in situations that can utilize the sport differential, the A4 is really a better choice. You can put the money you saved in options and trim upgrades. Plus insurance rates are lower, MPG is a lot better, and maintenance will be cheaper.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. If Audi felt it was an absolute requirement from a safety standpoint, they would have made it standard kit.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a

2018 S4 CPO. 7k miles. Premium Plus but exactly the same options packages as #1 but Glacier White Metallic. $47500. $52k OTD. The CPO means everything to me. I'd wait for a CPO.

If these cars are at Audi dealerships, why would they not be CPO? I was looking at a red 2018 Audi S5 on an Audi dealership for a great price. Not CPO. I asked why. The salesman said they would have to look into it. I went on the test drive and could tell immediately. Resonated was deleted and the car was loud and droney. Dealership couldn't CPO it. I'd rather have the CPO with the peace of mind.