S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

How good is the adaptative suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the adaptative suspension?

Does it make a significant difference in comfort? I love my 2010 S4 but my wife has always complained that the ride is too stiff. With the adaptative suspension would it be possible to significantly soften the suspension when she is in the car?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I have it on my 2013 and you can notice a difference on really bumpy roads. However, even on comfort a lot of people still remark that it's really stiff.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis54
Does it make a significant difference in comfort? I love my 2010 S4 but my wife has always complained that the ride is too stiff. With the adaptative suspension would it be possible to significantly soften the suspension when she is in the car?
Yes. It is drastically different than the standard fixed suspension. You really need to drive both back to back, but if your wife doesn't like the ride if your current S4, she won't like the ride of a new S4 unless you get the adaptive suspension.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the adaptive suspension on a B8 A4.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but the car also had the "sport package," which included (at the time -- the car was Prestige):

1. 19" wheels with summer only 35 series Max Performance tires
2. Sport suspension
3. Sport seats

I ordered Audi Drive Select which, at the time, included an adjustable suspension (Comfort, Auto, Dyamic -- and "individual") -- I also ordered the dynamic steering option, also able to be adjusted via the ADS.

Please remember, note and be duly cautioned and sworn, that I had the 19" wheels and 35 series tires. I did replace the tires with UHP all-seasons, but they, too, were 35 series sidewalls.

The car drove like a go-cart (this is a very positive statement, in that it is intended to convey the notion that the car handled with great immediacy and responsiveness).

The car in Comfort mode was HARSH. The car in Dynamic mode was more harsh, but just barely. I always switched the car to Comfort mode on the Interstate highways around Cincinnati and between Cincinnati and Columbus.

The car was not very compliant -- it was meant to go fast; and, as long as the speed driven was above 80MPH, the car seemed (relatively) smooth.

I subsequently bought an S4 with the 18" wheels and all season tires (that I replaced with UHP A/S Continental Extreme DWS tires). The S4 was much less rough and was also compliant. The S4 had the "factory" S4 suspension tuning. Period.

I have a new 2018 S4 on a boat from Germany. I have driven a new S4 with the all-season tires and 18" wheels -- with the stock suspension tuning. Period.

The 2014 S4 was much less harsh, more compliant but still stiff, than the A4 (a 2009) as described above. The 2018 S4 is less harsh, still, but is both more compliant and stiffer.

Stiffness is on one end of a continuum and Harsh is the opposite end. The A4 chassis seems to get progressively less harsh, more compliant and stiffer as time passes -- meaning each new gen. 2009, 2014 and 2018 move the needle from harsh to stiff (yet simultaneously increasing compliance.)

Based on my experience, I would NOT get the S4 with the 35 series tires and 19" wheels ever again. I would, however, replace the factory rubber with the highest performance UHP A/S tires available. Today there are three tires that fit the bill.

The issue, I believe is the sidewall stiffness of a 35 series UHP or Max Performance tire. A 40 series is still stiff, but because it is LESS stiff (the sidewalls, that is), ride improves greatly with only a small sacrifice in handling (mostly at the limit of adhesion).

The bundling of the "sport adjustable shocks" with the sport diff and red painted calipers is a sin, a mortal sin if you ask me.

If you want a street comfortable yet sporty sedan, you could do worse than an S4 with the sport differential and the highest performance 40 series (with 18" wheels) tires made by Continental, Michelin or Pirelli.

The "adjustable" shocks, IMHO, are simply "OK" -- too much money for too little difference.

The new S4 equipped as I noted above will give you both ride and performance attributes that should make everyone in the family happy.

If you want the highest performance PERIOD, ride and "wheel and tire damage" risks be damned -- go with the 19" wheels with summer tires and the adjustable suspension option.

Unfortunately our roads here in SW Ohio are full of pot holes and frost heaves and washboard exits and entrances; and, therefore, I opted for the UHP or MaxPerf 18" wheels and tires with the standard S4 suspension tuning.

The car will be very quiet, damn near supple (compliant) and stiff, but not harsh.

Color me unimpressed by the "adjustable sport shock absorbers."

Now, the air suspension on the S6 and I assume on several other Audi models -- well that's a horse of a different color.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 03-31-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't confuse the previous generation adaptive suspension with the new one. There is a marked difference between comfort and dynamic, and even in dynamic, the car will not beat you up.

Also, as I've mentioned before in other threads, the 18" wheels (with summer tires) with the S sport package and Dynamic steering is the ultimate performance setup for the S4 and S5. The 19" wheels are for looks, and I agree that they look quite good.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
Don't confuse the previous generation adaptive suspension with the new one. There is a marked difference between comfort and dynamic, and even in dynamic, the car will not beat you up.

Also, as I've mentioned before in other threads, the 18" wheels (with summer tires) with the S sport package and Dynamic steering is the ultimate performance setup for the S4 and S5. The 19" wheels are for looks, and I agree that they look quite good.

Hope this helps.
This is great information -- and I agree, 19" wheels/tires are for looks, this combo deteriorates the ride and the noise inside the car tends to increase, too.

Our dealer will not order "inventory" -- S4's -- with tires other than all-seasons, 18" (due to customer dissatisfaction). The issues with the 19"s: 10,000 sometimes less, sometimes more, miles tread life; not good below 45 degrees F; pothole damage to wheels is much more likely than with 40 series tires (on 18" wheels); wheels more easily bent; customers complain of "wheel rash" more frequently with 19" wheels.

And: The 19" wheels LOOK GREAT!
Old 04-01-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

A salesman on another forum claimed that the adjustable suspension also sits higher and increases the wheel gap. I have noticed that the wheel gap is surprisingly large based on the pictures that have been posted of the S4 with adaptive suspension and 19s.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JD15
A salesman on another forum claimed that the adjustable suspension also sits higher and increases the wheel gap. I have noticed that the wheel gap is surprisingly large based on the pictures that have been posted of the S4 with adaptive suspension and 19s.
That is only true on the A4. All S4 models sit at the same height regardless of the suspension.

And after 1000 miles or so the suspension will settle a bit and sit lower.