S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

How's the S4 selling in your area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the S4 selling in your area?

I've been looking at S4s for about a month now and drove oneat a local dealer (DFW area) earlier this month. I've also been trolling the few local dealers'inventories ever since and it seems like S4 stock just doesn't move veryfast. The 5 S4s that were available when I test drove are still available according to the dealer website, and online inventory at other dealers seem to rarely, if at all, change. I'm wondering if S4 sales are just slow in my area or if it'snationwide, or if dealers just aren't updating their online inventory. I would assume online inventory is accuratesince the dealers put effort to post actual photos of vehicles they have available.

I'm looking for a Prestige with drivers assistance andwithout the S sport package in specific (but not rare) color combos, but all ofthe Prestige models dealers seem to stock are fully loaded with more optionsthan I care for (including things like $110 USB cables ).

If sales are in fact slow, I wonder if Iwould be able to get a better deal on a fully loaded Prestige on the lot, or on one I special order with only the options I want. The dealer I've spoken todoesn't seem to be too enthusiastic or encouraging about placing a custom order.

What are everyone's thoughts?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in NOVA & visit the Arlington/Annapolis dealers and they aren't selling that well. The same ones have been on the lots for months. A bunch of Daytona Greys with red interiors, sport packages, tech pack & 19" wheels. Also a silver one and a white one that have been sitting around since prob May at the Arlington one.

I think the dealers have this view that the S4 is special & it's just not the same as an RS. They need to offer better deals on them (I'm talking at least 7% at this point) because they just aren't moving & I think the S5 sportback is taking sales.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Of the three original S4's since last May, one has sold (Premium Plus, Daytona w/ black interior). They just received another two for inventory. Just yesterday I asked why the inventory is not moving. Is it pricing, lack of interest or buyers interested in custom configuration. In short, buyers want the SQ5. They have a waiting list for this vehicle with little interest in the sedan counterpart. The comment was made for last year being the first time Q5 sales past A4 sales by a significant margin.

I live in the Northeast and do believe the statements made by my and another CA. Just look what people of driving today. I see more CUV's and SUV's vs. new sedans. I thought about ordering an SQ5 but, in the end, I wanted a sedan for my DD. Though coming from a JGC Summit as a DD, there is something to be said about the flexibility of such a vehicle.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
Of the three original S4's since last May, one has sold (Premium Plus, Daytona w/ black interior). They just received another two for inventory. Just yesterday I asked why the inventory is not moving. Is it pricing, lack of interest or buyers interested in custom configuration. In short, buyers want the SQ5. They have a waiting list for this vehicle with little interest in the sedan counterpart. The comment was made for last year being the first time Q5 sales past A4 sales by a significant margin.

I live in the Northeast and do believe the statements made by my and another CA. Just look what people of driving today. I see more CUV's and SUV's vs. new sedans. I thought about ordering an SQ5 but, in the end, I wanted a sedan for my DD. Though coming from a JGC Summit as a DD, there is something to be said about the flexibility of such a vehicle.
If you look at the industry numbers, it looks like a lot of people have switched their preference back to SUV's and CUV's now that we have become accustomed to gas around $3 a gallon. This seems to hold over all the manufactures.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
If you look at the industry numbers, it looks like a lot of people have switched their preference back to SUV's and CUV's now that we have become accustomed to gas around $3 a gallon. This seems to hold over all the manufactures.
It's combo of things. A CUV gives more cargo space/higher vantage point. If they are cross shopping a sedan vs CUV like the Q5/SQ5 and both are similar in price they are going to go with most likely the CUV.

Audi needs to discount the S4 more then the average 5% or just get the price lower. Like one reviewer said, it's probably not worth the $14K difference from the A4.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm curious how you arrived at the $14K price difference. That doesn't seem right. You can't take the base price of an A4 2.0T Ultra (FWD) Premium and compare it to the base price of a Premium Plus S4. The S4 has a lot more content (AWD, 18" wheels, B&O sound, sport seats and suspension, etc.) that you have to add to a basic A4 to make a fair price comparison.

My guess is that comparably equipped, you are paying no more than $5-6K for the S4 engine and unique bits.

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
It's combo of things. A CUV gives more cargo space/higher vantage point. If they are cross shopping a sedan vs CUV like the Q5/SQ5 and both are similar in price they are going to go with most likely the CUV.

Audi needs to discount the S4 more then the average 5% or just get the price lower. Like one reviewer said, it's probably not worth the $14K difference from the A4.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
I'm curious how you arrived at the $14K price difference. That doesn't seem right. You can't take the base price of an A4 2.0T Ultra (FWD) Premium and compare it to the base price of a Premium Plus S4. The S4 has a lot more content (AWD, 18" wheels, B&O sound, sport seats and suspension, etc.) that you have to add to a basic A4 to make a fair price comparison.

My guess is that comparably equipped, you are paying no more than $5-6K for the S4 engine and unique bits.
I'm going by the one article on 'The Drive' where he's comparing the entry base up to the starting S4. I agree it's much less probably around 7k or so.
Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoyed every moment in this car and feel it is an example of German engineering at its finest, but I wouldn't buy this car. At $50,900 before any options, I just can't justify spending that much money to shave around a second off my 0-60 mph time. Yes, you get a little more than just speed out of the S4, but do you really get $14,900 more?

The 2018 Audi S4 Review: A Power Boost, And a Lot More Confidence - The Drive

Old 08-06-2017, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
I'm going by the one article on 'The Drive' where he's comparing the entry base up to the starting S4. I agree it's much less probably around 7k or so.
Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoyed every moment in this car and feel it is an example of German engineering at its finest, but I wouldn't buy this car. At $50,900 before any options, I just can't justify spending that much money to shave around a second off my 0-60 mph time. Yes, you get a little more than just speed out of the S4, but do you really get $14,900 more?

The 2018 Audi S4 Review: A Power Boost, And a Lot More Confidence - The Drive

Using Audi's USA build site, base level for an S4 is a Premium Plus. Using an equivalent build for an A4 and both without additional options (Sport, BO, 19" rims, etc.), the delta in MSRP is $7,700. The amount decreases by $750 USD by adding the Sport Pkg. to the A4 for the sport suspension (which is standard on the S4). So is it worth the $7k delta for an S4, it depends on your priorities and disposable income. For me, it was an easy decision going with the S4. Heck, if an RS4 was available, most likely that would've been in my garage.

For those comparing the SQ5 vs. S4, the Q version adds another $2,900 USD. Significant enough to give those who don't need an CUV to opt for the S4. But the Q has the benefit of more passenger and cargo space. If this was my only vehicle and I didn't have access to another, the SQ5 would've been top on my list. Thankfully my wife drives a large vehicle. Affording me flexibility for buying a sedan as my DD.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Besides the SQ5, the S5 is likely cannibalizing sales of S4 too. It is definitely the sexier alternative and as one reviewer put it the S5 is the S4's "more talented sibling". I myself am in a similar dilemma, and like many here in this forum hate paying a $4k premium for just sheet metal changes.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gravi
Besides the SQ5, the S5 is likely cannibalizing sales of S4 too. It is definitely the sexier alternative and as one reviewer put it the S5 is the S4's "more talented sibling". I myself am in a similar dilemma, and like many here in this forum hate paying a $4k premium for just sheet metal changes.
Are you referring to the S5 SB or coupe? If the latter, that is a question of if four doors are necessary or preferred. If SB, well it comes down to preferring the style and justifying the $4k (or so) adder. I went through a similar process several years ago and bought a 435i GC in M-sport trim. In my opinion, it was a better design vs. the sedan. However, as time went by, the design was less appealing to me. Same can be said for Audi's A7. I think the sedan style holds-up better over time.

Quick Reply: How's the S4 selling in your area?