HUD Focus - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD Focus

Old 07-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default HUD Focus

Does anyone know if it's possible to have Audi calibrate/focus the HUD?

I've noticed that the bottom 50% of the HUD is in perfect focus but the top 50% is a bit out of focus. Anyone else have this or is it 100% in focus?

If I move my head down where my eyes are just above the steering wheel, the top will be in focus.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can raise or lower the HUD with the little silver colored dial on the left by the headlight switch. Or maybe perhaps you're wearing polarized sunglasses? All of my shades are polarized and the HUD is a bit dull as a result.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by h2olgd View Post
You can raise or lower the HUD with the little silver colored dial on the left by the headlight switch. Or maybe perhaps you're wearing polarized sunglasses? All of my shades are polarized and the HUD is a bit dull as a result.
Sunglasses aren't polarized. I actually bought non polarized glasses after buying the car. I can see the HUD without any problems, it's just that top half is slightly out of focus. As an example, vehicle speed is in focus but when I'm driving and the car recognizes a speed limit sign and it pops up above current speed, it will be out of focus.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by packetninja View Post
Sunglasses aren't polarized. I actually bought non polarized glasses after buying the car. I can see the HUD without any problems, it's just that top half is slightly out of focus. As an example, vehicle speed is in focus but when I'm driving and the car recognizes a speed limit sign and it pops up above current speed, it will be out of focus.
It also doesn't make a difference if I use the control to move it up/down, top half will still be out of focus. It's not terrible and I can still read it but drives me crazy.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Doesn't sound right, mine is perfectly in focus (as was my A6's before I got the S4.) I'd have them look at it whenever you take it in for service, I'm sure there's some adjustment that can be done to it.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Based solely on the information given and my spidey-sense (meaning this is a S.W.A.G. take it at face value), I'm suspicious that some contaminant might have gotten on the projecting side of the equation. Can you check down in there from where the source is projected (in the dash) and see if there's maybe part of some leftoever protection/shipping film (or residue) on that side?
Old 07-14-2017, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe the only two display adjustments you* can make are up/down (via the dial by your headlight controls) and rotation left/right (via the MMI, it's buried under Vehicle Settings).

I'd have your dealer take a look. They can perhaps let you sit in a different Prestige A4 or S4 to compare, and then do so for themselves before repairing or calibrating. Diagnosis + whatever they decide to do would be covered by warranty, or so I would expect.

* Maybe the dealer has non-customer-facing settings they can access to calibrate, kind of like they can with the Driver Assist stuff for when your windshield glass is replaced as another forum member found out
Old 07-14-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Take a microfiber cloth and clean the glass on the dash. My salesman actually placed the fob there when I bought my car and of course it's hard to avoid leaving fingerprints. Maybe this is a practice elsewhere as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Versprechen View Post
Take a microfiber cloth and clean the glass on the dash. My salesman actually placed the fob there when I bought my car and of course it's hard to avoid leaving fingerprints. Maybe this is a practice elsewhere as well.
Are you 100% sure that that is glass and not some sort of acrylic? I need to clean some dust off mine but I am mad concerned about scratching/swirling it...
Old 07-14-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian View Post
Are you 100% sure that that is glass and not some sort of acrylic? I need to clean some dust off mine but I am mad concerned about scratching/swirling it...
should be fine if you use a clean microfiber cloth

Search this Thread