S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

I am having a heck of a time choosing between

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark and AJ6,

Price was big when I added the small back seat and the rougher ride. Also, the cornering was not as good as I thought it would be. I kept hearing it stacked up against sedan's, but it does not. It does handle very well for a CUV. The S4 sedan just drives more comfortably and corners so much better. Then there is the power. Not even close.

Geoff
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
My wife came to the same conclusion -- for the SQ5. The extra $9,000 -- since it was not in the Macan's glove box, sealed the deal (that and the more cramped rear seat (headroom) and the smaller cargo space.)

I'll surely tick off some folks with this: I spec'd out an A6 and an A7 -- the vehicles are, sans bodies, the same vehicle. I looked inside the glove box of the A7, and not finding the MSRP difference there (again about $10K equipped as I would like them), I just couldn't see any advantage that would justify the price. It's worse if you are behind the wheel, since there is even less that separates the two cars from each other when you're behind the wheel.

Once the roll of steel goes into the presses, I am just unable to "see" much justification for the price difference. I know folks love the looks of the A7, and I do too. The good thing is, I can admire the A7 when I'm driving my new S4, while the poor schlub behind the wheel is hardly able to discern the difference looking out over the hood.

If there is a COST difference ($10K), I stand corrected -- but based on current manufacturing efficiencies, I'd bet the difference is many hundreds of dollars.

Of course, I went kicking and screaming into paying extra for the Daytona Gray Pearl paint on my new S4 -- but I just thought it looked so good with the red leather interior.

My wife has no problem paying for the differences in paint -- but she couldn't find the cost difference justification between the SQ5 and the Macan S at the level of content she prefers (i.e., Audi's Prestige with a few additional items).

When you are willing to pay $9 or $10K more for -- something, that is great. At the level of Premiumness of both of these brands, there is some justification for at least part of the cost differences -- and if you and yours see it, great!

Drive it like you live.
I own an A7, my second one and I totally agree with you. But we are all pissing money away as a $20,000 VW Jetta that can now be bought for $14,000 will get us where we are going just as well as what we have, or aspire to. We are car guys so we find a way to justify why we **** away money.

There is one logical justification on the A7 to a degree. It does have better resale value than brings some portion of the upfront money back when we trade.

And while this is just for bragging rights, the A7 gets more compliments than any car I've ever owned by a wide margin, and I've owned seven Corvettes!

But I get that from a logical standpoint I'm not going to win a debate like this. But I make it up by the money I don't spend on other things, and how much I've saved over the years doing my own work on vehicles and around the house. And I'll bet I'll still die with too much unspent money on the bank
Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Nothing in my comments or my opinion in any way, shape, manner, form or regard, is critical of the person who elects to acquire the Macan over the SQ5 or the A7 over the A6.

My problem -- and it is indeed, mine -- is I know (in some cases) that the price differences are justified and in other cases are "what the traffic will allow".

I am, likewise, a believer in perception is reality (mostly). The "market" perception is that an A7 -- for instance -- is "worth" more than an A6. Since I know the difference is almost entirely due to the styling differences and not any engineering differences, I find it difficult to overcome the "what the traffic will allow" issue.

Listen, if the price of the A7 was "close" to that of the A6, and were I in the market for that sized auto, I, too, would probably go with the A7 -- the thing is very attractive looking.

But, the A6 -- to my eye -- isn't bad either, so I (again, it's just me) can't do it.

In my case, ignorance would be bliss.

I bought my first Audi 4000 in blissful ignorance. One day I came out of a store and there, in the parking lot, was a new VW Quantum parked right beside my new baby.

I did some research and found out that the Quantum had a 5-cylinder engine. My 4000 had an i4. My 4000 had power brakes. the Quantum had power brakes AND power steering. And on and on. . .

I was so pissed.

I looked into the Quantum further -- it had the SAME switch gear (even the door pulls were identical.) The Audi had a ONE YEAR unlimited mileage warranty. The Quantum, 2-years 24,000 miles.

The Quantum had a 4-wheel independent suspension. The Audi, a rear Panhard rod.

The list of "mostly" little details favored the VW in every way -- but it didn't have the Audi Rings, right?

Well, lift the hood -- and there it was, four interlocking rings on the valve cover of the i5 engine.

The Audi was looking like a "VW who knew somebody." I felt "more fool, I".

Had I NOT research the crap out of the two vehicles, I would have blissfully gone through life (at that point) driving an Audi, not a VW, my feeling of having the better machine a certainty.

My next car? A top-spec Quantum.

I think, now that I look back on it from the point of view of Roger Smith -- that I had fallen prey to marketing, not engineering. "Put Cadillac clothes on a Chevy and charge Caddy prices!

Roger Smith, in those days, was busy bringing a bunch of virtually identical GM cars to market.

Remember the Cadillac Cimarron? Remember the '80's Chevrolet Cavalier? How about the Buick Skyhawk?

Essentially there were several so-called J cars that from Chevy to Caddy that were THE SAME CAR (underneath) with some different looks, certainly different MSRP's; but, the damn things came off the same assembly lines. These were the cars that were, as the criticisms of the time noted: What happens to cars when car companies are run by accountants (I believe they were called "bean counters" -- with disdain.)

Audis -- in some cases -- were essentially rebadged VWs, with no substantive differences just as the Cimarron was, after all, a Cavalier.

Today -- Audi is its own company. My multiple visits to the Audi factory in Ingolstadt could not underscore this more when even the factory tour guides speak of VW as "the competition," not the parent company.

Today -- Audi's A6 competes with the A7, the A6 is not in competition (directly) with the Passat. Were I to own an A6 and someday find a new Passat parked next to it, I would not have any reason to think they were fraternal twins or even twin sons of different mothers. Unless I somehow forgot, I might not even know they were both from the same parent company.

My brain sees an A7 with a decent list of options on it -- and I think, "sooo close to an S6 (in price), why (didn't the customer just opt for the S6) -- what were they thinking, did they not test drive the S6???"

So, you see, a little bit of information can be, sometimes, a bad thing. Every time I walked up to my A7, I would have smacked my forehead with my palm and proclaimed, "I coulda had an S6!"

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-18-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel this same way concerning the S4 and S5. They are, underneath all the sheet metal and angled surfaces, the same exact car. Yet the S5 costs a hefty chunk more (like $5K more), while having 2 less doors and less (nearly none) leg room in the back. It's not like the S5 is even more in demand, Audi just simply charges more and I'm pretty sure most shoppers are none the wiser. I would, however, be plagued with buyers remorse every time I stepped inside one (the interiors are exactly the same also!)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, I'm just as guilty as anyone of paying a premium price to get something that's exactly what I want. Cars for guys like us are extensions of our personalities, just like some guys who buy a $70k truck or boats or bikes or other.

I definitely want the S5 Sportback, and I would probably be ok with the tradeoffs in space in order to see the beautiful look everyday. It just came to where it wasn't $5k more beautiful to me for the same underpinnings. I don't fault anyone for going A7 over A6, they are both fine cars but the A7 is meant to seduce your wallet in the way it so successfully does. It's a much stronger statement of personality than the sedan is, and Audi knows it. Everything is priced to what the market will bear!