S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Intermittent Creaking - Fit or Mechanical?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

A missing weld sounds like a problem I would expect on a Tesla Model 3, not an Audi. I wonder whether this problem will be remedied during production for the MY2019 and not reliant on repairs in a body shop.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes!! Same please advise
Hi, I have a 2018 SQ5 Preatige since April and love it apart from the door!! (I only really notice the drivers door as I am driving most of the time. Everything is luxury apart from what irks me every time I close the door- I hear this creaking from the handle which I don’t expect on such a car. Thoughts welcome!
Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default S4 same issue on SQ5?

Yes!! Same please advise, not an S4 but SQ5
Hi, I have a 2018 SQ5 Preatige since April and love it apart from the door! Full package, good wheels etc. (I only really notice the drivers door as I am driving most of the time). Everything is luxury apart from what irks me every time I close the door- inside- I hear this creaking from the handle which I don’t expect on such a car. Thoughts welcome please!!
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes! Did you fix? Please see below

Yes!! Same please advise
Hi, I have a 2018 SQ5 Preatige since April and love it apart from the door!! (I only really notice the drivers door as I am driving most of the time. Everything is luxury apart from what irks me every time I close the door- I hear this creaking from the handle which I don’t expect on such a car. Thoughts welcome!
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by bgserve
Does anyone notice creaking sounds coming from the side door panels (where door handle and lock/unlock buttons are) when they go over slightly bumpy road? I'm not sure if I just notice too much or am being crazy, but sounds like there is a little rattle whenever I go over bumpy roads. Took it to the dealer who drove it with me and we couldn't replicate it but I'm noticing it sporadically during my daily drives
Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 AM
JD.
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jgdiablo
I wanted to provide the final detail of what was determined to my car... Verbatim from the work order:
Perform road test, nose heard from L/Rear area below shelf, remove and install lower and L/Side trunk trims and side seat trim, remove and install L/Rear fender liner and perform numerous road tests to trace source of noise. Open TAC case #[omitted] and advised to check body weld seams by upper rivet on cross member, found location as source of creek noise. Send out to certified Audi repair body shop for repairs needed. Road test after and found noise concern is corrected.
Did the Audi dealer provide any pictures of the work completed ?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, they only showed me a picture on the Audi tech's phone. On a side note, the creak returned. I've just been living with it for now, but plan to bring the car back for further diagnosis. My view is the additional weld either didn't hold or the issue is actually something else.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 PM
JD.
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a rattle fixed at the dealer back in February, about a month after we took delivery. The noise I was experiencing sounded like it was coming from the rear parcel shelf or rear window(driver side). I initially thought that it was from a speaker surround or some of the plastic surround in the trunk.

The picture below shows where the techs isolated the noise to be coming from. Right above the arrow on that seam is where my creak was coming from. They said it appeared that there was not enough seam sealer between the top edge of the chassis and the support that bends around the chassis. The noise appeared as the chassis flexed over uneven pavement. Have not experienced any noise in the past 6-7 months.

Last edited by JD.; 09-28-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did anyone else resolve these issues? I just got my car back from two weeks at the dealer...and guess what...still creaking.

Any other "fixes" actually take care of this issue?

PLEASE HELP.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did the dealer do during the two weeks?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dealer took the headliner out and epoxied the passenger door panel. Not much else. Took a test drive with their lead tech and he heard the noise from the back in about 2 minutes.

He is ordering a complete new door panel for the passenger door (another rattle) and a new third brake light for the back. I fully believe it sounds line a metal on metal creak opposed to something being loose.

I asked about the TSB on the car (for the rear glass) and he said that there was not one for my VIN. Sent him JD's post from above, but honestly I do not feel like they are attacking this at the sub-frame level.

Will bring it back in when the parts are in......meanwhile putting snows on today. Wonder if that will help.

FYI - The A4 loaner car was completely quiet and devoid of rattles/creaks. UGH.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Creaking - Fit or Mechanical?