S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Intermittent Creaking - Fit or Mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 02:49 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3AudisLater
First time post....

I have exactly the same issue with my 3 week old S4. There's an annoying, almost constant tapping noise coming from (what seems like) the rear windshield. It drives me nuts.

I also have a weird "clunk" noise that appears <2 min into driving. It sounds like it's coming from the bottom-left of the steering column. No cornering required. It makes the clunk noise and then all is well for the rest of the drive.

I am going to reach out to the dealership to see what can be done.
The clunk you feel in the steering column is normal. All new B9 models have a Abs actuator test that occurs at roughly 25MPH. Very normal and common complaint of no issue.

Welcome!
Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Allroading17
The clunk you feel in the steering column is normal. All new B9 models have a Abs actuator test that occurs at roughly 25MPH. Very normal and common complaint of no issue.

Welcome!
That ABS actuator test is rather subtle and quiet, but early on I figured it must be a system-related function since it only happened at 25mph, and I stopped worrying about it. Once I learned it's true purpose, that tiny little clunk sound is now a comfort knowing that the system is working.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 04-12-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clunk is the ABS, normal, its priming. The windshield should have a TSB for it, check the threads here yoully see others who have had that one remedied, good luck!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Malaclypse5
The clunk is the ABS, normal, its priming. The windshield should have a TSB for it, check the threads here yoully see others who have had that one remedied, good luck!
Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malaclypse5
Hey All -

Especially for those having the problem, Audi flew their tech back in, now Audi (not the dealer) is replacing the sub-frame once the parts arrive from Germany (early next month).

I have no idea what that entails but it seems this same issue affected 09 4 series (based on the always correct cursory google search...).

If anyone has any feedback on this move, I'd appreciate it - I have absolutely zero understanding of what replacing that entails and what the longer term risks associated with such maintenance might be. I only recently got my "Mark is absolutely sure this is the right oil so put it in, dammit" certificate

As a side note, my dealer who damaged the LED strip on the speaker panel couldn't be bothered to order the part in advance of the car being back in... I was always told to watch out for Audi's with one dealership in town and I guess I'm learning my lesson, but it does seem that Audi itself is reasonably engaged if there is a bit of a lag. If you have any advice (contact Audi customer advocate?) on establishing a working relationship when Audi is involved and the dealer is a bit second tier I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks all!
Here's my story. I've had my S4 for about 6 months and about one to two months ago I started hearing a creaking sound from the rear of the car - didn't even require bumps, just standard driving. I was going to wait until my 10K mi service to get it looked at since it gets muffled by the radio. It started to get annoying enough that I just scheduled to bring the car in with 8K mi. They were able to replicate the issue (that's great!). I'm now without the car and in an A4 loaner for 5 days now. They came to the conclusion that the rear subframe section was bolted together and that's what's causing the 'rubbing/creaking'. They sent the car to another facility to get that section welded. From what I understand, that portion should have been welded in the factory (appears to be a design/engineering flaw). They suggest I should get the car back in another two days. Pretty stunning turn of events...

Last edited by jgdiablo; 06-23-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-24-2018, 09:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jgdiablo
Here's my story. I've had my S4 for about 6 months and about one to two months ago I started hearing a creaking sound from the rear of the car - didn't even require bumps, just standard driving. I was going to wait until my 10K mi service to get it looked at since it gets muffled by the radio. It started to get annoying enough that I just scheduled to bring the car in with 8K mi. They were able to replicate the issue (that's great!). I'm now without the car and in an A4 loaner for 5 days now. They came to the conclusion that the rear subframe section was bolted together and that's what's causing the 'rubbing/creaking'. They sent the car to another facility to get that section welded. From what I understand, that portion should have been welded in the factory (appears to be a design/engineering flaw). They suggest I should get the car back in another two days. Pretty stunning turn of events...
That's interesting... i wonder how many cars are affected by this. Hope this doesn't become an issue later on....
Old 06-29-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same noise coming from my passenger seat area. You are not the only one. I just got it 6 days ago.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted to provide the final detail of what was determined to my car... Verbatim from the work order:
Perform road test, nose heard from L/Rear area below shelf, remove and install lower and L/Side trunk trims and side seat trim, remove and install L/Rear fender liner and perform numerous road tests to trace source of noise. Open TAC case #[omitted] and advised to check body weld seams by upper rivet on cross member, found location as source of creek noise. Send out to certified Audi repair body shop for repairs needed. Road test after and found noise concern is corrected.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wanted to provide the final detail of what was determined to my car... Verbatim from the work order:
Perform road test, nose heard from L/Rear area below shelf, remove and install lower and L/Side trunk trims and side seat trim, remove and install L/Rear fender liner and perform numerous road tests to trace source of noise. Open TAC case #[omitted] and advised to check body weld seams by upper rivet on cross member, found location as source of creek noise. Send out to certified Audi repair body shop for repairs needed. Road test after and found noise concern is corrected.
I wonder if there is anyway to be able to check those rivets and see if the cars having those problems needs the welds... does the mileage matter or ambient temp for those sounds to come out? this is quite disparaging.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Valid question. I can only guess that the rivet alone doesn't sufficiently keep things 'tight', thus a weld is required to overcome the flaw.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Creaking - Fit or Mechanical?