S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojai
Is it pretty much confirmed that this is only happening with the latest iPhones and 12.1?
I had disconnects with iPhone 7s iOS 11 - they are unbearable with 12.1 and iPhone X’s
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please call Apple and submit Analytics to Tier 2 tech support

I was on the phone with Apple today again trying to resolve this. They bumped me up to the Senior Service advisor, who asked me to collect logs from the phone and descriptions of the issue.

I mentioned there were others suffering from this, and he suggested that more attention will be paid to the issue (as well as a more likely fix) if we can all send logs in and phone model/car model, etc.

Please call Apple Support and do this - its worth the effort if we can get it fixed. I have no hope that Audi will be responsive on this, as they have been very slow to deal with similar issues previously.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wolfjo
I was on the phone with Apple today again trying to resolve this. They bumped me up to the Senior Service advisor, who asked me to collect logs from the phone and descriptions of the issue.

I mentioned there were others suffering from this, and he suggested that more attention will be paid to the issue (as well as a more likely fix) if we can all send logs in and phone model/car model, etc.

Please call Apple Support and do this - its worth the effort if we can get it fixed. I have no hope that Audi will be responsive on this, as they have been very slow to deal with similar issues previously.

What phone number did you start with for Apple?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i've noticed time wise, the disconnect issues usually occurs for me about 20-30 min of being plugged into car play, and after that it just keeps happening every few minutes. Battery was roughly around 75-90%
Old 12-08-2018, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Response from Apple

Thanks to all who contacted Apple and submitted files. They are now apparently "aware of the issue and working on it." Hopefully in the next bug fix release. Mine has only gotten worse, and disconnects within 30 seconds now.

Here is their response:

"My engineering team let me know that they’ve gotten enough reports of this behavior to do an investigation into it, so what that means is that the fix will be coming out in a future update or patch and the engineers will notify me when that is about to go live then I can notify you!

I’ll contact you as soon as I hear back from my engineering team to let you which update it will be.

Thanks for your help in this matter and thank you for your patience,"
Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks to all who contacted Apple and submitted files. They are now apparently "aware of the issue and working on it." Hopefully in the next bug fix release. Mine has only gotten worse, and disconnects within 30 seconds now.

Here is their response:

"My engineering team let me know that they’ve gotten enough reports of this behavior to do an investigation into it, so what that means is that the fix will be coming out in a future update or patch and the engineers will notify me when that is about to go live then I can notify you!

I’ll contact you as soon as I hear back from my engineering team to let you which update it will be.

I have had no issues with it for about a month now.

i am running 12.1.1 beta and have a voltage tester between the USB port and the lightning cable

i bought this one on amazon

Eversame USB Digital Power Meter Tester Multimeter Current and Voltage Monitor, DC 5.1A 30V Amp Voltage Power Meter, Test Speed of Chargers, Cables, Capacity of Power Banks-Black
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is their response:

THANK YOU - THANK YOU

Please keep us updated.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Very strange.. Ive been using the iPhone XS Max in my car since the day it was released.. I have not had a single issue like described here.. The phone is plugged in every time I get in the car to a ProClip mount using a 0.5m aftermarket lightning cable plugged in to the USB port in the front. I use CarPlay every time, and simultaneously run Waze along with either Apple Music or Spotify or Pandora. This has been the case for me with every iOS version so far for the phone, up to and including the release of 12.1.1.

One thing you should definitely try -- take a toothpick. Use it to make sure you dont have lint built up in the lightning port of the phone. Every once in a while, I will experience the no connection and the culprit is a wad of lint from my pockets that is stuck in the lightning port.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clearing Things Up

I’d like to clear up some misconceptions I keep seeing pop up in this thread.
  1. This problem is NOT iPhone model specific. It has nothing to do with upgrading to the X or XS. I have experienced it on both of those phones as well as an 8.
  2. This problem is not iOS version specific. I have experienced it on many different iOS versions.
  3. It has nothing to do with having an Apple Watch. I have experienced it with and without one on.
  4. It has EVERYTHING to do with Audi. CarPlay works fine in other cars. It’s unacceptable and makes the car dangerous to drive. [Even when my iPhone is not connected MMI restarts.] It would be nice if Audi would own up to it but that doesn’t seem to be in their DNA. I guess they didn’t learn anything from the diesel mileage scam.
My dealership as ordered an MMI module to be replaced. It was supposed to be in last week but still isn’t here. I will let you know if it fixes the issue but I kind of doubt it will.

It’s a shame because I love the car otherwise but they should not let known issues go on unaddressed until they receive a critical mass of complaints or a lawsuit. The current leadership seems to not care about their reputation.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMI 1316
iOS 12.1
iPhone 6S
Audi/iPhone retractable MFI cable
Wears iWatch

I do not experience disconnects in CarPlay, however, on occasion I do have to unlock the iPhone for it to present the “Switch to CarPlay” option. Once connected, works fine without needing to disable Bluetooth.

I did experience disconnects when I was on the iOS beta software. I since blew away the phone, fresh install, and unrolled from the beta program. Phone works as expected except for the “unlock” glitch that wasn’t experienced on 11.x.

HTH,
yab

Quick Reply: iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects