S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Have you guys tried using a shorter lightning cable? The USB length from the port in the center console to the actual head unit is surprisingly long internally -- tacking on the 3' cable combined with increased current demands of the new phones may be just enough to put it over the edge.. I still haven't seen anyone post back that has the USB port that is now in the front under next to the cigarette lighter say that they are experiencing this issue.. My S4 has the relocated 2nd USB port there -- and I am also using a 1' lightning cable - and have never experienced this with my XS Max.

Also - a couple of people on the Apple communities reported success with something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Certainly seems to be power-related on certain cars.

Last edited by RickNY; 01-11-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nez136

Same, I don’t want to jinx it but it looks to be a temporary fix until either apple ot Audi addresses the issue. I have about 100 or so miles of driving so far without a disconnect. Just installed it Monday.
Do you guys have a link for the device?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawgone

Do you guys have a link for the device?
Amazon - USB Safety tester Amazon - USB Safety tester

I've had it for a few weeks now and have also had no disconnects. Longest drive so far has been about 35 mins though, but it appears to work
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Amazon - USB Safety tester

I've had it for a few weeks now and have also had no disconnects. Longest drive so far has been about 35 mins though, but it appears to work
Cool that’s what I found and ordered. Should be here today. I’m curious why it would work though as this looks like it just tests that the voltage coming out is correct. If it’s not correct/steady (which I am pretty sure it’s not) how does this fix it? I did read something on the Amazon page about a circuit it has in it for “accelerating large current fast charging.” Maybe that does it.

P.S. I had a friend in the car this weekend using the usb just to charge his iPhone and it kept going from charging to bit charging. Said he felt it vibrate several times on the 30 min trip and looked and that’s what was happening.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI in the release notes for the just-released iOS 12.1.3:

- Resolves an issue that could cause certain CarPlay systems to disconnect from iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sickkkkk finally!!!
Have been having better luck just connecting my phone unlocked before firing up the car.

https://www.macworld.com/article/333...inor-bugs.html
Old 01-25-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was hoping for the new 12.1.3 update to fix my bluetooth problem but it didn't. I love my XSMax, but it is totally useless in my car.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I updated my phone to the newest iOS and unplugged the USB voltage tester...and so far no disconnects with carplay!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's good news, unfortunately my year doesn't have Apple Carplay, just the bluetooth, so still doesn't work.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you have a completely different problem and you may want to repost in the A6 forum. This CarPlay issue happens over USB, not Bluetooth.

Quick Reply: iPhone XS Max - CarPlay Disconnects