S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Just test drove an S4 and a C43 AMG.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove an S4 and a C43 AMG.

Hello everyone,

Today I went and test drove a 2018 Audi S4 Prestige with driver assistance and black optics. I really enjoyed the car's performance and technology. The heads-up display was absolutely awesome. Later in the day, I also went and drove a Mercedes C43 sedan with the premium 4 package. I liked that car a lot too. The sound of the C43 was absolutely wicked and I like the exterior styling slightly more on the C43. However, the Audi interior wins hands down in my opinion with the design and technology. I also believe that the S4 is the slightly faster car based on the manufacturers claimed 0-60 times. I was curious if any S4 owner's here cross-shopped the same two cars I did and had some insight as to why they chose the S4 over the C43. Also, do you have any regret with your decision or something you wish you would have done differently regarding your S4?

I also had a question regarding the break-in period of the S4. The Audi salesmen told me that the car does get louder and faster after about 2000-3000 miles. I wondered if this was just sales talk or if any owners noticed a change in sound/performance?

Thank you very much!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by reidzuerlein
Hello everyone,

Today I went and test drove a 2018 Audi S4 Prestige with driver assistance and black optics. I really enjoyed the car's performance and technology. The heads-up display was absolutely awesome. Later in the day, I also went and drove a Mercedes C43 sedan with the premium 4 package. I liked that car a lot too. The sound of the C43 was absolutely wicked and I like the exterior styling slightly more on the C43. However, the Audi interior wins hands down in my opinion with the design and technology. I also believe that the S4 is the slightly faster car based on the manufacturers claimed 0-60 times. I was curious if any S4 owner's here cross-shopped the same two cars I did and had some insight as to why they chose the S4 over the C43. Also, do you have any regret with your decision or something you wish you would have done differently regarding your S4?

I also had a question regarding the break-in period of the S4. The Audi salesmen told me that the car does get louder and faster after about 2000-3000 miles. I wondered if this was just sales talk or if any owners noticed a change in sound/performance?

Thank you very much!
I found that the S4 got quieter something north of 800 miles.

I always run in S mode.

Not in this particular instance, but previously when we shopped Mercedes and Audi (for a CUV,) we found "more for the money" with Audi. More features, functions, content, etc.

When we would equip the Mercedes at the level of the Audi, the price difference was not insignificant.

For us, not knowing at the exact moment of execution what kind of depreciation would be expected, we didn't or couldn't factor that in. But to content the Merc at an Audi Prestige level, always seemed possible, but dear.

A $60,500 S4 is tough to beat -- both performance and value wise.

What do you get dollar vs dollar between the two?

Of course, we thought BMW's often suffer from a GREAT MSRP to start with, but once they're configured to Audi levels, they too seem to be awfully dear.

Although to a certain extent, the decision at this price point will probably not be based on affordability. It may just be that you'll find it difficult to pay more and not get more. Or, you may see things exactly the reverse.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 07-18-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Hello everyone,
I was curious if any S4 owner's here cross-shopped the same two cars I did and had some insight as to why they chose the S4 over the C43.
Yes, the C43 was in my original competitive set (specifically S4 Avant, C43 T).

In engine performance terms, they are close. Probably close enough that its not the best criteria for making a choice. The C43 might be slightly quicker, but it needs to be in Sports+ mode to open up, and I found it unpleasant to drive in this mode. I slightly preferred the feel of the C43 engine. Yes, the exhaust sound is better on the C43 if fitted with the AMG sport exhaust option, although much of what you hear in the C43 cabin is being played through the audio system.

The V6 engine in the Mercedes is kind of weird. They have used the same engine in the E43, which I also considered, but with larger turbochargers and a different tune. I preferred the E43's version. It should not have been used in the new E43, as that was intended to get the new in-line 6 cylinder engine, but Mercedes are running very late on that project. Given the debacle with branding, ie Mercedes C450 AMG changing to Mercedes-AMG C43, I don't like Mercedes apparent inability to form, and stick to, a plan.

I preferred the front end feel of the S4 (when fitted with the Sport diff) over the C43 when being pushed hard. The C43 is prone to understeer.

I preferred the (S adaptive suspension) in the S4. I liked the steering weight better on the C43, although Dynamic steering (option) on the S4 is more exact / direct.

The brakes in the S4 are much better.

I completely agree with your comments on the interior. I found the Mercedes' interior quality poor, and the design a mess. That alone was enough to rule it out.

The C43 is more focussed as a performance car, the S4 has a broader spectrum. Both good cars, just keep testing them until a preference become clear.

Yes, your Audi salesperson was right, but I suspect the same would apply to the C43.

Last edited by Glisse; 07-19-2017 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The Audi is all about balance -- between lux and sport.

Since sound keeps coming up, my salesrep said the Audi does get quieter as it piles on the miles, but that if you set the engine/transmission to sport and the exhaust sound to sport, too, you will get NATURAL -- not audio system -- sound that will be louder.

I often find the loudness to be a distraction, but when it is at full cry it is very sweet.

I'd actually like a full off switch on the sound if such a thing were possible. Kind of a stealth mode.

If sound is an important criteria to you (inside the car or outside?) you should test the S4 again and use the ADS to maximize the sound (inside) and see how that suits you.

The combo of ADS settings, above will indeed increase the sound.

Left to its own devices (NOT in dynamic mode) the sound does indeed decrease as the miles pile up. My wife's SQ5 -- even in full dynamic mode is almost eerily silent now that she has 2000 miles on it.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

To answer your comment about getting louder after 2-3k miles. I just hit 3400 miles, and I noticed the car actually got quieter. I also noticed I could hear BOV in first and second gear. I was not able to hear it before, just last few days I've been hearing it.

Off topic...anyone else able to hear the BOV hissss sound??
Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The C43 is my 2nd choice to the S4, but it actually came in about $2k less than the S4 configured the way I would buy them. The reasons being, first, the S4 doesn't seem to by a real drivers car w/o adding the $2600 sport pckg. The C43 doesn't even offer a sport differential. Second, to get the best looking interior with the S4 requires the leather seat upgrade. I think the best interior for the C43 is the MB tex/alcantara combo that's standard.

Also, the C43 is actually a bit quicker then the s4 because it has more torque, but only by .2 in the 1/4 according to Car & Driver, and if that little difference matters then you should be looking at an RS. Ultimately though, I like the way the s4 drives better though, and I like the interior better.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much!
I had pretty much the exact experience you did. Only seriously considered the C43 and S4. I think the C43 is actually a little quicker and perhaps a little sportier overall, and I thought the interior or the C43 was nice but kind of busy. I much prefer the interior of the S4, and in tech there is absolutely no contest, the Audi wins by a mile. I have a pretty long commute, so thought the quieter cabin of the S4 (especially with Prestige and double-paned glass) was also a nice feature. While I find the styling of the C-Class a little more distinctive and prefer it slightly over the somewhat bland exterior of the S4, I spend all my time looking at the inside of the car so that didn't matter that much to me. The performance of the S4 was more than sufficient, and while neither car will touch the handling of the 15 Cayman S I'm trading in, I decided that the Audi had the best blend of comfort, tech, performance and styling to satisfy my commuting needs and still be able to have some fun from time to time. I could see people concluding differently if they have different priorities though. Thy are both great cars.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I forgot to add, the MB forums are full of people complaining about tranny problems and rattles in the C43, and some people regretting their purchase. That's enough to steer me away. Although I also have to say the C43 cab is beautiful. If it were $5k more and not $10k more, that's what I would be getting.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Giancana
I forgot to add, the MB forums are full of people complaining about tranny problems and rattles in the C43, and some people regretting their purchase. That's enough to steer me away. Although I also have to say the C43 cab is beautiful. If it were $5k more and not $10k more, that's what I would be getting.
Forgot to mention that as well, but saw both of those issues in the forums when I was researching. The rattle problems would have driven me crazy. Had hoped the change from the 7 to 9-speed transmission from the C450 to C43 would have taken care of the transmission problems, but apparently not
Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended buying a Q7, but I heavily look at this car segment. In my opinion, the S4 is beats the Mercedes across the board. The real kicker for me was at 6'-0" tall I could not sit comfortably in the Mercedes and was very comfortable in the S4. Anyone looking at the Mercedes over 5'11" needs to look at the head clearance.

Geoff

Quick Reply: Just test drove an S4 and a C43 AMG.