S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Just test drove an S4 and a C43 AMG.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I stumbled across this post since I've been browsing for more information on the SQ5, so let me weigh in.

I bought a C43 last year after comparing it on paper to the B9 S4 and via road test with the B9 A4 (the B9 S4 wasn't out when I did the purchase).

The C43 has a huge amount of charm--the performance exhaust is riotous and it is a much quicker car than Mercedes specs on paper (low 4s 0-60 is typical, with no launch control). I personally think the interior design with the waterfall dash is great, and more special than the B9 interior. The Audi was a little more flat in comparison--somewhat bland design inside and out, materials that didn't feel quite as nice, and a much quieter exhaust note.

*BUT* the C43s are complete rattletraps and have poor ride quality. Mine has been into the dealer twice to fix rattles, including one week-long visit. That fixed the rattles for about a month, but they are already coming back. The car comes with awful RFTs, though even swapping them out for the new Michelin Pilot Sports the ride quality is still too crashy. That plus too-soft wheels is a bad combination--I put a minor bend in one of my rear wheels and can't even remember hitting anything unusual. Others are reporting bending all four wheels by hitting potholes. The infotainment system is also really clumsy and buggy compared to Audi MMI but that's a minor niggle. Finally, I wasn't able to demo the upgraded stereo in the B9s, but can say that the Burmeister stereo doesn't sound much better than what you'd get in a rental car--extremely disappointing.

I personally haven't had problems with my transmission. It can be a little clumsy when driving around the city in sport mode, but no moreso than the DSG in my old B8 S4. I also understand that there's a software update out for the C43 that can help with transmission smoothness.

So now I'm already thinking about trading it in on a fast CUV like the SQ5 or Macan. Ultimately in my mind the S4 / C43 decision comes down to whether the annoyances of the C43 make up for how special the car is when properly equipped. I'm firmly on the fence on that right now.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:06 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
I stumbled across this post since I've been browsing for more information on the SQ5, so let me weigh in.

I bought a C43 last year after comparing it on paper to the B9 S4 and via road test with the B9 A4 (the B9 S4 wasn't out when I did the purchase).

The C43 has a huge amount of charm--the performance exhaust is riotous and it is a much quicker car than Mercedes specs on paper (low 4s 0-60 is typical, with no launch control). I personally think the interior design with the waterfall dash is great, and more special than the B9 interior. The Audi was a little more flat in comparison--somewhat bland design inside and out, materials that didn't feel quite as nice, and a much quieter exhaust note.

*BUT* the C43s are complete rattletraps and have poor ride quality. Mine has been into the dealer twice to fix rattles, including one week-long visit. That fixed the rattles for about a month, but they are already coming back. The car comes with awful RFTs, though even swapping them out for the new Michelin Pilot Sports the ride quality is still too crashy. That plus too-soft wheels is a bad combination--I put a minor bend in one of my rear wheels and can't even remember hitting anything unusual. Others are reporting bending all four wheels by hitting potholes. The infotainment system is also really clumsy and buggy compared to Audi MMI but that's a minor niggle. Finally, I wasn't able to demo the upgraded stereo in the B9s, but can say that the Burmeister stereo doesn't sound much better than what you'd get in a rental car--extremely disappointing.

I personally haven't had problems with my transmission. It can be a little clumsy when driving around the city in sport mode, but no moreso than the DSG in my old B8 S4. I also understand that there's a software update out for the C43 that can help with transmission smoothness.

So now I'm already thinking about trading it in on a fast CUV like the SQ5 or Macan. Ultimately in my mind the S4 / C43 decision comes down to whether the annoyances of the C43 make up for how special the car is when properly equipped. I'm firmly on the fence on that right now.
I was comparing the C43 vs the S4/S5 only recently and I went with an SQ5 instead. Sorry this is a long reply but it might be of use to some of u who are in the same situation.

Originally, my first preference was to get the C43 coz I have never owned a Mercedes before. I had own over half a dozen bmw over the past years and still own a Q7 4.2tdi previous gen so going to Merc will be a good change. After driving the non face lift C43, I found the exhaust very intoxicating mention by everyone who drive it and better steering. Interior I though the merc has a nice feel but the infotainment system was messy (more of that later) and there was button everywhere. Originally, I felt the Mercedes has the better interior look but it is coming up on 4 years old hence the up coming facelift so I felt the interior has started to age where the S4/S5/SQ5 was still the brand new audi model which will be current model until the new B10 comes out . Audi's VC look much well design and fit my taste better. The new merc digital display looks cheap and BMW new display is even worse I think compare to Audi VC. Now back to the infotainment system, the FL c43 did not get the MBUX like the A class (yep...the cheaper A class has got it) so why buy a c class when u can get a brand new A class sedan which is a brand new platform with better gadget, for less money. Size wise, C class and A class sedan is similar It just didn't make any sense to me to get the C43 anymore. With the same money, I can probably buy the A45 sedan rather than C43 FL not to mention that the brand new C class in a few year will have a completely new design again most likely similar to A class (huge long tablet on the front dash lol...). Yes, some would say A class interior quality but the C43 is less functional and looks dated as a comparison. In so many way, I think the C43 will struggle to sell as I for one will buy the A45 or A35 amg sedan before a C43. Another turn off for me was C class was everywhere and felt the camry of luxury car in Australia..

Another issues that I struggling with was to do with timing. I actually started hunting for a new car 12-18 month ago as my E90 BMW was on its way out and repair cost was starting to creep up to the value of the car itself so I wanted a car sooner rather than later. Now my experience with buying a first batch of new model or Facelift model was not good. I waited 6 month for my FL E90 when it was first release only for it to have problem on the first day and problem every year after. In fact, I was still fixing the damn car before I traded it in for the SQ5. It is a know fact that new car usually have more problem in the first year and knowing the C class facelift replace more than half of it parts and hearing ur problems rattles, really got me worried. Usually there are more bugs and issues that comes with the first ones off the boats so I wasn't keen on been a guenie pig this time around as the new batch has just started arriving in Oz so my local Mercedes dealer wasn't keen on doing any deals. This bring me to reliability too as well where I felt Audi close association to Porsche has really help the brand in the last few years. The MY12 Q7 4.2tdi was by far the most reliable car I have ever owned in the last 20 years and has not cost me any money so far after owing it for 6 year for repairs other than normal wear and tear items (touch wood...)

Now with the decision between which Audi a bit of a story too which was more personal decision. Firstly the RS3 was on the top of my list especially when the facelift came out with new power bump last year and I loved it for performance, style, timing etc and it is and RS MODEL. Hell, my heart is still thinking maybe I should have gotten the RS3 instead of the SQ5... It was so fast it made me a bit dizzy on the test drive. But anyway, the RS3 was really a little bit too small and as a comparison to the B9 model, it did seem a little behind in quality/design (this is my brain talking now) and there was this manual seat thing WTF. Now with the decision on S4/S5 vs SQ5 came down to practicality. S4/S5 was similar to the F36 440i GC we have at home in size so there wasn't really any need for us to have another similar class car plus Audi offered me a fantastic deal on a SQ5 with all of the option I wanted so I went with that instead. Come to think of it, the SQ5 is still the car that ticks the most boxes for me at the end of the day at this point of my life. Having the performance of a S model with the practicality of an SUV seem to make the most sense. I have 3 kids so I can happily fit the 5 of us in an SQ5 which I would never be able to do in a S4/S5 or C43. For some reason, I felt the SQ5 was more exciting vs the S4/S5 and drove more like a go kart. It felt like it was faster and more fun to me I think because it was easier to reach it limits compare to S4/S5 would just glide though at the same speed. Only thing is the steering and fake exhaust tip so I can feel some mods coming soon.