S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Key Fob: Low Battery Indicator Dash/VC

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Key Fob: Low Battery Indicator Dash/VC

Got a repeated error message on my VC that I hadn't yet seen, for a low battery warning on my fob. Surprising, as it's only 1.5 years old, and 16k on the clock.

Admittedly, I had to reference the owners' manual to figure out how to disassemble the FOB to replace the (2032) watch battery. Simple enough, and hint: you don't have to pry the covers off!

This lead me to wonder why my fob drained so quickly - and I realized one of two things:

1. I enabled the "extended range" option on my key fobs, which nearly doubles / triples the distance from which the FOBs will communicate with the car. I LOVE this, and highly recommend it to anyone that hates the default setting of 10-15 feet.
however - I'm reasonably certain it lead to the earlier demise of the battery in that fob. Meh - batteries are cheap and simple to replace -- totally worth it!

2. I park my car in a garage nightly, so I tend to leave the fob in the cup holder - and I have to believe that passively draws some power from the fob while in the car -- but I can't confirm that.

Just an FYI post, since I was surprised to see this so soon, and also since I hadn't changed a battery in one of the newer B9 fobs yet.

gr

**Also, while you're in the manual -- it's a good time to review where to place the Fob in case of a "dead fob" no-start, and also the PARK interconnect key access point. **

Last edited by ghostrider990; 10-16-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

That's super funny, I just started getting the same warning yesterday. I kid you not I was googling how to replace the key battery half an hour ago (but then had to run into a meeting). Car is just shy of 18K now, also 1.5 years old.

I wonder if there is a timer for the battery warning? I took delivery on May 31 2017.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
That's super funny, I just started getting the same warning yesterday. I kid you not I was googling how to replace the key battery half an hour ago (but then had to run into a meeting). Car is just shy of 18K now, also 1.5 years old.

I wonder if there is a timer for the battery warning? I took delivery on May 31 2017.
That's pretty funny ~B!

With your similar experience, I would have suspected the cold weather to be a factor, but it was 80 degf here yesterday, so not the issue on my end.

Did you happen to use the OBD11 to change your remote range settings as well???

gr
Old 10-16-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Nope, have made no ODB11 changes.
I also park in a condo garage so never ever ever leave the keys in the vehicle. The fob is either in my pocket or on my counter, never out in the cold.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was always curious what if any indicator we would get if the battery starts running low on the Key Fob, good to know!
My first dealings with a comfort key was my back in the day new 2010 BMW 335xi which was my first nice car. That generation
of 3 series had a HORRIBLE notification system basically none. Battery would die like every 60 days and just use metal key.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTSX
I was always curious what if any indicator we would get if the battery starts running low on the Key Fob, good to know!
My first dealings with a comfort key was my back in the day new 2010 BMW 335xi which was my first nice car. That generation
of 3 series had a HORRIBLE notification system basically none. Battery would die like every 60 days and just use metal key.
I should have taken a picture of it before I replaced the battery -- but it's pretty self explanatory, and you can't miss it, or the accompanying BEEEEEP from the system.

I could have posted a pic of the owner's manual instructions as well....but i can't do EVERYTHING for you guys!

gr
Old 10-16-2018, 05:08 PM
S4 Avant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened with my wife's A4 2.0Tdi B9, stock, none of your mods on.

So I'd consider it as "normal"... however abnormal the 18 months drainage is.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just changed mine at roughly 1.5 years as well. The reason for the short lifespan I think is stated in the manual, which indicates that the key fob is constantly storing telemetry regarding several metrics that a dealer can tap into using (apparently) the fob itself.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
1. I enabled the "extended range" option on my key fobs, which nearly doubles / triples the distance from which the FOBs will communicate with the car. I LOVE this, and highly recommend it to anyone that hates the default setting of 10-15 feet.
however - I'm reasonably certain it lead to the earlier demise of the battery in that fob. Meh - batteries are cheap and simple to replace -- totally worth it!
How do you set the extended range? missed that in the manual.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by millersntx
How do you set the extended range? missed that in the manual.
Obd11.
It's not in the manual.

Quick Reply: Key Fob: Low Battery Indicator Dash/VC